Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Newcastle Match Thread. 03/05/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

His name is Lucas . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think you can blame Joey Barton, a bit unfortunate to see red imo. In fairness he was one of about three Newcastle trying to do something, the others are a disgrace.

How Liverpool are only two goals up is what I can't understand, they could have 6 or 7 at this stage such is their domination. Good to see this new Liverpool outlook using the wings and getting lots of players forward, very exciting to watch, theres a lot of flair in that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

LUCAS!!!!! Give that man a new contract :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That'll do - Brazil one two!

****s sake Masch is injured. Nolan, the other thug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Delighted for Lucas, looked over the moon to score.

Come on now N'Gog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

This is a complete disaster. Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse. I would have preffered an 8-0 defeat and almost any other player getting sent off. In fact I would have been delighted to see Smith off and suspended for the rest of the season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

3 points nothing more we can do but try keep some pressure on Manc,its theirs to lose but i doubt it.

I like shearer,i feel sorry for him i really do.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think you can blame Joey Barton, a bit unfortunate to see red imo.

LOL. he could have really hurt Alonso

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

mike65 wrote: »
    That'll do - Brazil one two!

****s sake Masch is injured. Nolan, the other thug.

More like a one one really :)

Eagle eye, how can you say that was unfortunate? 2 footed tackle and didn't get much if any of the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

noticed on skysports special it was 3-0 then about 15 seconds later it happend on the stream :D

Hope xabi is alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ferdi wrote: »

"During a game against Liverpool he slid in with a very dangerous tackle towards Xabi Alonso, gaining a red."

Wikipedia being updated in real time now!

Post up videos of the Barton tackle if anybody discovers one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

5starpool wrote: »
    More like a one one really :)

Eagle eye, how can you say that was unfortunate? 2 footed tackle and didn't get much if any of the ball.
    I thought he got the ball, if he didn't then fair enough.

3rd long range shot to hit the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gerrard off the bar (bloody woodwork is so good against pool)

Game over.

The injuries are the only blemish.

i think it's still very dangerous play

• Advertisement

2 footed and studs up is still not legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

carbon copy really of the boro-utd game yesterday.

newcastle not good enough at all, and liverpool not having to get out of 1st, maybe second gear.

we keep doing what we have to do, as much as it looks like it'll be in vain.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I reckon the injuries aren't serious, masch just had his foot stood on after the tackle, just a bit painful no big deal though.
    Regarding the red there can be no debate, it's not about just getting the ball, like I can get the ball and then stab someone it's not ok.

Good overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

What a bitter, horrible ,excuse of a little man that Barton is .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

RasTa wrote: »
    €200 on Liverpool -2

Told ye it was free even if the odds weren't the greatest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Glad to see lucas get on the sheet. Good win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Just had to post something on my appreciation of the Newcastle players today. Despite playing a far superior team they fought, hassled and harried right down to the last minute. Liverpool found it so difficult to add to their lead due to the steadfast resistance and commitment shown by all players but especially the midfield. With that kind of performance we will easily beat Boro and a Europa cup chasing Fulham. Aston Villa look out!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

What a load of ****. I am sick of this lot of ****. Absolute disgrace to the black and white shirt. At this stage, I don't care what happens to this team. They are certainly not representative of Newcastle United. The lot of them can fcuk off this summer, whether we stay up or not. Obviously there are one or two like Bass and Carroll who that doesn't apply to. But messers Owen, Martins, Smith, Viduka, Duff, Ameobi, Colocini, can cuk right off.

The only positive thing today is that Shearer is calling it as we all see it. I couldn't stand to see Kinnear standing painting a false picture, and how the ref done us out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

M5 wrote: »
    Just had to post something on my appreciation of the Newcastle players today. Despite playing a far superior team they fought, hassled and harried right down to the last minute. Liverpool found it so difficult to add to their lead due to the steadfast resistance and commitment shown by all players but especially the midfield. With that kind of performance we will easily beat Boro and a Europa cup chasing Fulham. Aston Villa look out!!!!!!!
    Sarcasm?

Charlie wrote: »
    What a load of ****. I am sick of this lot of ****. Absolute disgrace to the black and white shirt. At this stage, I don't care what happens to this team. They are certainly not representative of Newcastle United. The lot of them can fcuk off this summer, whether we stay up or not. Obviously there are one or two like Bass and Carroll who that doesn't apply to. But messers Owen, Martins, Smith, Viduka, Duff, Ameobi, Colocini, can cuk right off.

The only positive thing today is that Shearer is calling it as we all see it. I couldn't stand to see Kinnear standing painting a false picture, and how the ref done us out of the game.
    Ah, a realistic view. Really sorry to see how much they have fallen from grace.

Pity about Nwcastle ,such a lovley stadium and all which looks set to be filled by first division punters next season .

Pool seemed to get a lot of favorable decisions, the first goal is so crucial when you are struggling like we are, the marginal offsides nearly all went against us. All well and good grumbling about it but the reason we lost was because our lads were simply not interested (not to mention the fact that the pool are a far better team). Barton gets his early holiday, must be delighted....

I can handle loosing if there is some kind of effort, or fight or fu*king anything resembling a performance but thats just heartbreaking. I think i sweat more on my couch!!! not even a whimper from them, exactly the same as the Pompey game....

Cha i thought Duff was one of a few who could get any credit... Plying out of position and did reasonably well, few decent blocks and tackles and got forward more than most too (completely ignoring the second half tho i suppose)

Sarcasm?

absafcukinglutely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

1551: Newcastle boss Alan Shearer on Joey Barton's red card:
    "I'm not happy. He deserved to be sent off, it was a stupid tackle."

Surely Joey is finished after this

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Surely Joey is finished after this

*pointless pointless challenge!

*(Unless your looking for a 3 match ban with 3 games left)

• Advertisement

Cha i thought Duff was one of a few who could get any credit... Plying out of position and did reasonably well, few decent blocks and tackles and got forward more than most too (completely ignoring the second half tho i suppose)
    Yes,and he also makes his presense felt on the pitch but a lot of newcastle moves were predictable .The pressure and Apathy is obious throughout the team .

Latchy wrote: »
    Yes,and he also makes his presense felt on the pitch but a lot of newcastle moves were predictable .The pressure and Apathy is obious throughout the team .

Horrible to watch the team you have supported for 17 years and that word connected...

this is the kind of post that makes me feel sorry for Newcastle United's fans; they don't deserve to be in the position they're in, watching so many players not seem to give a f***.

i, for one, hope that if you do go down it's not for long, that you get rid of all the deadwood that doesn't belong at Newcastle, and come back a better club for it.

i've said it before and i'll say it again, the Premier League will be worse off without Newcastle United, if only for their true fans.

SlickRic wrote: »
    this is the kind of post that makes me feel sorry for Newcastle United's fans; they don't deserve to be in the position they're in, watching so many players not seem to give a f***.

i, for one, hope that if you do go down it's not for long, that you get rid of all the deadwood that doesn't belong at Newcastle, and come back a better club for it.

i've said it before and i'll say it again, the Premier League will be worse off without Newcastle United, if only for their true fans.

The way people are reacting you'd swear they were the first fans of a big club to get shafted by players. It happens all the time is now just part and parcel of football.

In the past decade or so it's happend to City, Forest, Wednesday and Leeds and now it's simply Newcastle's turn. Yes it's bad for the club and all that at the moment but they need to weed out the crap that's hanging around like a bad smell and this is the opportunity to do that.

The club isn't dying or anything close.

Horrible to watch the team you have supported for 17 years and that word connected...
    I will be sorry to see them go down .As other poster said ,Newcastle have always being a team you expect to see in premership and I use to love watching them when ( sir) bobby robson was manager .The whole 'Keegan messiah ' affair was a joke tbh .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Latchy wrote: »
    I will be sorry to see them go down .As other poster said ,Newcastle have always being a team you expect to see in premership and I use to love watching them when ( sir) bobby robson was manager .The whole 'Keegan messiah ' affair was a joke tbh .

edit: apologies, misread your post.

The way people are reacting you'd swear they were the first fans of a big club to get shafted by players. It happens all the time is now just part and parcel of football.

In the past decade or so it's happend to City, Forest, Wednesday and Leeds and now it's simply Newcastle's turn. Yes it's bad for the club and all that at the moment but they need to weed out the crap that's hanging around like a bad smell and this is the opportunity to do that.

i, for one, am not saying they're dying, or anything remotely close to it.

but i felt for City and Forest when it happened to them (Leeds didn't bother me because Ridsdale acted the tool, and Wednesday I didn't care too much for). it's not good to see. I've every right to feel sympathy for fans of any club who get shafted by the players who should be so lucky to play for, and get paid by, a club of any of these clubs' stature.

it has to happen to someone; that doesn't mean people can't sympathise a bit.

it's sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

This fat fcuk says differently

83B1BA5B-B9F4-5FE3-1C6E19D642718566.jpg

As long as he stays at the club, we will crumble.

but i felt for City and Forest when it happened to them (Leeds didn't bother me because Ridsdale acted the tool, and Wednesday I didn't care too much for). it's not good to see. I've every right to feel sympathy for fans of any club who get shafted by the players who should be so lucky to play for, and get paid by, a club of any of these clubs' stature.

it's sh*t.

I'm not saying you can't have sympathy, I was more so making a general comment but using your post as a basis for it.

Teams go down all the time but the way a lot of reactions are headed you would swear they were the first to do it.

Just on this though -
    Leeds didn't bother me because Ridsdale acted the tool

How is it any different to Newcastle and Ashley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

it's sh*t.

Surely it's 80% the cockups of Ashley that are to blame?

This fat fcuk says differently

As long as he stays at the club, we will crumble.
    I dont think his ' man of the people ' image has helped the club one bit .Michael Owen doesn't seem to amused in that pic either

JPA wrote: »
    Surely it's 80% the cockups of Ashley that are to blame?

Ashley's part of the 'deadwood' I posted about earlier.

it's hugely down to Ashley, of course.

but the players there need to also look at themselves. players are let off the hook too much in these sorts of situations for my liking. how the one's doing the stuff out on the pitch always escape the majority of blame is beyond me.

absafcukinglutely

Phew!

Ashley's part of the 'deadwood' I posted about earlier.

it's hugely down to Ashley, of course.

but the players there need to also look at themselves. players are let off the hook too much in these sorts of situations for my liking. how the one's doing the stuff out on the pitch always escape the majority of blame is beyond me.

While I understand what you're saying, the players are directly influenced by the manager who is hired by the chairman, i.e. Ashley. The players can't manage themselves.

How is it any different to Newcastle and Ashley?

true in many respects, and to be honest, my disliking for Leeds in general probably biases my view slightly on this point.

but there's something about the way Ridsdale went about it that angered me more than Ashley's. Leeds had a potentially all conquering team, a la the famous Utd youth team, and he fúcked it up so badly through sanctioning spending inordinate amounts of money on averageness.

Ashley comes across as a bit more clueless maybe, which for whatever reason, makes me not dislike him as much. he hasn't invested like he should have obviously.

i just think it's more down to the players too. with leeds, through bad management etc, the couldn't afford to keep their team in place and dropped like a stone. im less sympathetic because they were there, and assumed they'd get instant success and invested as such.

so reckless, and thus less sympathy.

sorry that's a ramble, hopefully sense can be made of it somewhat :cool:

• Advertisement

While I understand what you're saying, the players are directly influenced by the manager who is hired by the chairman, i.e. Ashley. The players can't manage themselves.

they can show a bit of effort and pride though.

kinnear, or shearer, at the very least, can surely help them do that.

i'm not excusing Ashley in any shape or form, i couldn't without looking a twit, but players get let off the hook a lot in these situations.

But Leeds and now Newcastle are/were in their situations almost exclusively because of the men at the top.

true in many respects, and to be honest, my disliking for Leeds in general probably biases my view slightly on this point.

but there's something about the way Ridsdale went about it that angered me more than Ashley's. Leeds had a potentially all conquering team, a la the famous Utd youth team, and he fúcked it up so badly through sanctioning spending inordinate amounts of money on averageness.

Ashley comes across as a bit more clueless maybe, which for whatever reason, makes me not dislike him as much. he hasn't invested like he should have obviously.

i just think it's more down to the players too. with leeds, through bad management etc, the couldn't afford to keep their team in place and dropped like a stone. im less sympathetic because they were there, and assumed they'd get instant success and invested as such.

so reckless, and thus less sympathy.

sorry that's a ramble, hopefully sense can be made of it somewhat :cool:

I haven't a fucking clue what you're on about* :confused:

(*Just kidding :pac:)

they can show a bit of effort and pride though.

kinnear, or shearer, at the very least, can surely help them do that.

i'm not excusing Ashley in any shape or form, i couldn't without looking a twit, but players get let off the hook a lot in these situations.

kinnear and shearer were ludicrous appointments though, although Shearer was just a gamble. And who appointed them? Who appointed Dennis wise and that spanish guy? Why did Keegan leave?
    It's all Ashleys fault IMO anyway.

But Leeds and now Newcastle are/were in their situations almost exclusively because of the men at the top.

absolutely.

i don't like leeds, which is part of why I have less sympathy for them.

as i said in my previous post, there's also something I remember about the way Ridsdale went about it that I remember really not liking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement