Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Newcastle Match Thread. 03/05/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

SlickRic wrote: »
    absolutely.

i don't like leeds, which is part of why I have less sympathy for them.

as i said in my previous post, there's also something I remember about the way Ridsdale went about it that I remember really not liking.

I think you are a bit biased in fairness! But Ridsdale wasn't a bad man, he had a dream but he was stupid, very stupid. Ashley seems to be the same but in a different way. An idiot and incompetent at a running a football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

JPA wrote: »
    I think you are a bit biased in fairness! But Ridsdale wasn't a bad man, he had a dream but he was stupid, very stupid. Ashley seems to be the same but in a different way. An idiot and incompetent at a running a football club.

and all in all this is mostly the right answer.

the way Ridsdale was an idiot just angers me more than the way Ashley's an idiot :pac:

i still stand by my point that the players don't get enough blame though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,562 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

JPA wrote: »
    kinnear and shearer were ludicrous appointments though, although Shearer was just a gamble. And who appointed them? Who appointed Dennis wise and that spanish guy? Why did Keegan leave?
    It's all Ashleys fault IMO anyway.

Keegan was a ludicrous appointment too.....lousy manager who for me is the one most responsible for the squad that NU have now....why NUFC fans rate him so highly is beyond me.

Did you see Shearer laughing today when the Kop sang 'you should have stayed on the telly'...priceless.

Good performance from the Pool today. Could have won 5 or 6 nil.
    Think its too late for this years title (but you never know), but I do like how the squad is progressing, really believe with some better transfer decisions in the future that Liverpool could be the team to be reckoned with in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

murpho999 wrote: »
    Keegan was a ludicrous appointment too.....lousy manager who for me is the one most responsible for the squad that NU have now....why NUFC fans rate him so highly is beyond me.

Did you see Shearer laughing today when the Kop sang 'you should have stayed on the telly'...priceless.

Think its too late for this years title (but you never know), but I do like how the squad is progressing, really believe with some better transfer decisions in the future that Liverpool could be the team to be reckoned with in years to come.

I'm going to get in before the Newcastle fans, but a lot of or all of the summer signings were not bought by Keegan at all.

I also don't think they'd be anywhere near the position they are in if Keegan was there. Whether you rate him or not, he wasn't incompetent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

lol, Keegan walked because signings and sales were forced upon him... thought that was common knowlege!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

fail-backwards-b1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

now there's a sig that's gonna be dumped pronto..get rid of it dude before the mods do it for you.

About the soccer...Newcastle were atrocious. All the players are doing is either hoofing it up the field or not give their team mates an option to pass the ball to as they stand and watch him getting tackled.
    I felt sorry for Jonas..he was trying his best out there and no one was gettign forward to give him options...instead leaving him on his own while he got tackled by 3 pool defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

now there's a sig that's gonna be dumped pronto..get rid of it dude before the mods do it for you.

About the soccer...Newcastle were atrocious. All the players are doing is either hoofing it up the field or not give their team mates an option to pass the ball to as they stand and watch him getting tackled.
    I felt sorry for Jonas..he was trying his best out there and no one was gettign forward to give him options...instead leaving him on his own while he got tackled by 3 pool defenders.

at least todays performance before the first goal that was conceded wasnt too bad, better than the pompey display

just got unlucky for the 1st goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Have to win against Middlesborough now and Fulham..anyless less than 6 points and it's goodnight Newcastle :(
    If we go down I dread to think what state the club will be in then.
    I can see the players like Taylor/Harper staying as they're Newcastle bred but guaranteed all the rest will be looking to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

John Giles wrote: »
    just got unlucky for the 1st goal

Cant agree with that
    Maybe (just maybe)if Newcastle were playing offside but they were not!

Yes Yossi was 1/2 a foot offside, BUT
    Terrible header, Terrible by Smith
    8 Newcastle players 2 Liverpool ones
    BEYE!!!!!
    BEYE could at anytime moved across into the covering position and stopped Yossi but didnt, ball watching, Basic fullback play you wouldnt expect to see his mistake in an under 12's

You dont give the lineman the opp to make the mistake(?) in that kind of situation
    SHOCKING defending in a position where it was harder to let Liverpool score than to stop them!

NO Honestly of Effort Giles'ey :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

elshambo wrote: »
    Cant agree with that
    Maybe (just maybe)if Newcastle were playing offside but they were not!

Yes Yossi was 1/2 a foot offside, BUT
    Terrible header, Terrible by Smith
    8 Newcastle players 2 Liverpool ones
    BEYE!!!!!
    BEYE could at anytime moved across into the covering position and stopped Yossi but didnt, ball watching, Basic fullback play you wouldnt expect to see his mistake in an under 12's

You dont give the lineman the opp to make the mistake(?) in that kind of situation
    SHOCKING defending in a position where it was harder to let Liverpool score than to stop them!

NO Honestly of Effort Giles'ey :D

What the hell does this mean, it wasn't offside?

RasTa wrote: »
    What the hell does this mean, it wasn't offside?

Its football talk
    Dont worry about it!

Stick to the pom poms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

good stuff. solid performance. this could have been a banana skin of a game... could have but newcastle have just been so horrible all season.

i really dont mind newcastle going down as their product, the football, is shockingly bad, unexciting and an object lesson as to how not to play the game. in every area of the pitch they are awful and to top it off they have the biggest joke of a football player in the past 10 years playing for them in senor joey barton

UP or DOWN

Newcastle should have a clearout this summer!

Years of buying names and faces!
    Exotic signings to excite the fans!!!!!!

They should try signing players for a change

BEYE was awful for the first goal, Positional sence of a 8 year old AND he is the one singled out for praise by Shearer for his effort this week

Solid defenders who actually defend
    Solid spine and a bunch of hungry players with something to prove and a brain

Players like the young lad they signed from Liverpool; Gutrie

Name players only sign for teams like Newcastle for the money
    Once they get the money their ambition is going to fade
    +Money is gone/going out of the game

not hard!
    they are in the position they are in by trying to be a top 3 team
    when they should have started by building a solid attractive top 10 team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=153391
    The Spaniard who is rumoured to be on his way out of Anfield should hop on a plane immediately and look up Executives from Warner Bros. or Universal Studios to further his acting career which has been absolutely stellar so far.

Alonso has been involved in over half-a-dozen sending-offs this season, and it was no surprise that it was him who acted his way into the heart of referee Phil Dowd.

A wonderful performance Xabi, everyone will say. But as a professional footballer - surely, that's not the way.

LOL:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Mr Alan wrote: »

LOL:D

this bit was funnier imo -
    "Newcastle United were condemned to relegation by a biased referee and his clueless assistants on a bleak day at Anfield."

RETARDED

i think they are going to get relegated because they are terrible at football, but thats only me.

its amazing how sites like that can actually exist.. even more amazing is how people can read it. is there that many stupid people out there ?

Jazzy wrote: »
    this bit was funnier imo -
    "Newcastle United were condemned to relegation by a biased referee and his clueless assistants on a bleak day at Anfield."

RETARDED

i think they are going to get relegated because they are terrible at football, but thats only me.

its amazing how sites like that can actually exist.. even more amazing is how people can read it. is there that many stupid people out there ?

Same for any other club peeps......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jazzy wrote: »

Did you just call MrAlan stupid?

i'm not so sure M5, maybe with a tight game where it all hinged on one decision & was quite even, and if the red card was debatable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

same could be said about boards

utd bribed the ref
    etc etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Great win for the pool!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Newcastle's best player today was their crossbar. As a Liverpool fan actually thought we looked a little bit disinterested in the game. Maybe deep down the players know that City and Arsenal are'nt going to put in much of a display against United to get some points and have accepted second for this season. Would have liked to see us build up our goal difference a wee bit just in case like. Anyway's nice to be still in with a shout with a few games left. Would have taken that in a heartbeat at the start of the season.:) Onward and upward redmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Highsider wrote: »
    Maybe deep down the players know that City and Arsenal are'nt going to put in much of a display against United to get some points and have accepted second for this season.

That is the best excuse I have ever heard, truely brilliant! :pac::D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Same old Toon different fcuking day. I honestly turned off after 25 minutes or so. Usually I would watch an entire game but it's becoming even more painstaking to even do that.

I dread every game we go into. I thought the first goal was offside but what can you do?

*sighs*

Just couldn't be bothered defending them at this stage.

I actually got called a scumbag today for wearing my Newcastle jersey by a load of Liverpool fans....
    To make it clear... I was NOT the one who went two footed on Alonso. Jesus Christ I wish some football fans weren't so fcuking stupid and ignorant.

Rant over.

i'm not so sure M5, maybe with a tight game where it all hinged on one decision & was quite even, and if the red card was debatable!

i was agreeing with your point, lol. every club has stupid fan sites! look at the timing of the article, prob had a few jars in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

That_Guy wrote: »
    I actually got called a scumbag today for wearing my Newcastle jersey by a load of Liverpool fans....
    To make it clear... I was NOT the one who went two footed on Alonso. Jesus Christ I wish some football fans weren't so fcuking stupid and ignorant.

Im sorry to hear that,
    Theres always a few who let the whole liverpool fanbase down:(

*sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's funny how things even themselves out alright!! Because Benayoun being about two yards offside is certainly on the same level as Howard Webb's decision when Spurs where two up at Old Trafford.
    My God, the linesman was a disgrace today alright. Even exluding last weeks travesty, todays decision is the worst since....well since Ronaldo's penalty against Bolton.

Just posting now.

It was so so easy for Pool. I really thought Toon would be fighting for their surival but they seemed already doomed for the championship after a dismal performance. Could have been 10.

Joey Bartan(wrongly spelt) is a .....

Pool refusing to give in and rightly so.

United have to keep winning cause I think we will get 9/9

YNWA

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's funny how things even themselves out alright!! Because Benayoun being about two yards offside is certainly on the same level as Howard Webb's decision when Spurs where two up at Old Trafford.
    My God, the linesman was a disgrace today alright. Even exluding last weeks travesty, todays decision is the worst since....well since Ronaldo's penalty against Bolton.

Except that Benayoun was only about 6 inches offside, not 2 yards, and Liverpool would almost certainly have won the game against that Newcastle team today.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    NNWA

?

never NEVER! walk alone?

• Advertisement

em wtf? Benayoun was level.....adavantage goes to attacking player & a lot of the replays seemed like he was level.

?

never NEVER! walk alone?

sorry Al, I;m fcuking mangled

5starpool wrote: »
    Except that Benayoun was only about 6 inches offside, not 2 yards, and Liverpool would almost certainly have won the game against that Newcastle team today.

Ah will you stop. Yossi was clearly behind Harper when the ball was crossed. Outrageous outrageous decision. The league should be over today, but justice has been done after last week's close call!!

rarnes1 wrote: »
    sorry Al, I;m fcuking mangled

Ha, i'm gathering that even from this post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I feel so sorry for Newcastle's fans. The reality is they are a side devoid of passion, skill, prowess or basic interest. They remind me of West Ham in 2002/2003. As a major fan, I had to endure some of the worst football, and the worst drubbings that that club ever witnessed.

Het-Field wrote: »
    I feel so sorry for Newcastle's fans. The reality is they are a side devoid of passion, skill, prowess or basic interest. They remind me of West Ham in 2002/2003. As a major fan, I had to endure some of the worst football, and the worst drubbings that that club ever witnessed.

In fairness, at least West Ham put up a fight. They went down with 42 points.

Het-Field wrote: »

They seem to have zero passion bar 1 or 2 players and i guess it will be sad to see a big club go down but it was the same with Leeds, badly managed and probably, deserved.

Ah will you stop. Yossi was clearly behind Harper when the ball was crossed. Outrageous outrageous decision. The league should be over today, but justice has been done after last week's close call!!

I think you should look at another reply tbh. With Setantas magic line, Benayouns foot was offside, no more. I know that is still off side, but to call that outrageous is clearly an overreaction. We have had the benefit of some outrageus decisions, but this is certainly not one of them.

48511681.jpg

are you saying yossis foot was offside but his body was onside?

em, thats onside every day of the week?

are you saying yossis foot was offside but his body was onside?

em, thats onside every day of the week?

his flute was offside.

No goal

• Advertisement

The pic above shows it really. The defender is leaning away from goal, Yossi is leaning towards goal. He is offside imo, but not by much, never mind "2 yards".

I think you should look at another reply tbh. With Setantas magic line, Benayouns foot was offside, no more. I know that is still off side, but to call that outrageous is clearly an overreaction. We have had the benefit of some outrageus decisions, but this is certainly not one of them.

48511681.jpg

I was being a bit facetious!!!

I was being a bit facetious!!!

Well next time don't be. The soccer forum penchant for pernickityness gets to me at times and I can't resist.

that pic confirms it for me, he is onside, also note the ball has left Kuyts foot in that pic.so a split second earlier he would have been even MORE onside.

Well next time don't be. The soccer forum penchant for pernickityness gets to me at times and I can't resist.

Ha!! i hear you, brother. I hear you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

If any part of your body that you can shoot with is offside, it is offside.

Anyways, I'm delighted Newcastle are going down. A lot of their fans think they've a devine right to be in the Premier League and so do their players. Being a Watford fan, I cannot wait for St. Jame's Park Away next season. :D

Liverpool we're winning that game any day of the week, but Al, will you get up the yard with your onside specs. He was clearly off. Not by much, but offside nonetheless.

Elonex wrote: »
    Anyways, I'm delighted Newcastle are going down. A lot of their fans think they've a devine right to be in the Premier League and so do their players. Being a Watford fan, I cannot wait for St. Jame's Park Away next season. :D

1408163640_670eacaa1c.jpg

Newcastle fans are partly to blame as well for this mess!! They gave Allardyce stick with shouts of "you don't know what you're doing", an ironic chant at the time!! Be careful what you wish for and all that....
    They hailed the 'messiah' Keegan, ridiculous!!! Now, if he had been able to stay on and buy who he wanted to, they wouldn't be battling relegation, i'm sure. But they wouldn't exactly be threatening the Europa League places either.
    The club is a mess in all quarters and it's amazing to see such a big club in such a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Newcastle fans are partly to blame as well for this mess!! They gave Allardyce stick with shouts of "you don't know what you're doing", an ironic chant at the time!!
    How is it ironic? He clearly didn't know what he was doing, and he'd never be welcome back. No Newcastle fan will need reminding that 4 of Derby County's grand tally of ELEVEN POINTS last season were almost directly down to Allarcyce's pathetic tactics.

And if it was those chants that got rid of him, good. We were more than happy with Keegan.

anyway, back to this...

1408163640_670eacaa1c.jpg

Advertisement