Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy eBooks (besides Waterstones)

Options
  • 03-05-2009 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just bought a Sony eBook Reader, and I am struggling to find a good source for ebooks. The Waterstones site doesn't seem to have a great selection, ebooks.sony.com has a good selection, but doesn't seem to work for this region and many of the books on ebooks.com aren't available outside the US.

Can anyone help please? I'm sure somebody must have gone through all these steps before.

Thanks......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Google now allows downloads of out-of-copyright books I think (as pdf)and Project Gutenburg as well.

As for more recent books, I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I got a few books of fictionwise.com it was in secure pdf and went onto my prs-700 not sure about the older model.

I think they give you a test download to try and see if the formats will work on your ereader.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I buy books from booksonboard.com (I think they're connected to fictionwise.com).

Some titles are restricted to non-US users due to publishing agreements. But there's a (perfectly legal) way around this - use google checkout instead of paypal, with a random US address as your home address, google checkout doesn't verify your credit card address against the one you supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I have successfully bought books from the Sony Ebook store by changing the country in my address to United States.

Apart from the Kindle books on Amazon the Sony store prices are the cheapest which I can find. The other stores seem to be way more expensive particularly for new releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Magenpie

You can also buy from Borders at borders.co.uk.
    Www.Penguin.co.uk sell ePub format books which the Sony reader supports.

I haven't used booksonboard.com yet, thanks for the tip, Patrickof!

There's lots of free books out there, the www.mobilereads.com wiki has lists of resources where you can find ebooks to download, as well as ebooks to download from the mobileread site itself. I have used www.manybooks.net a good bit. (If you like science fiction, Cory Doctorow has made his books available for download from his website, thats http://craphound.com).

And if you are a member of one of the South Dublin Libraries you can borrow ebooks from their website when you're logged in!

• Advertisement

As an experiment I checked the pricing for Michael Connelly's new thriller The Scarecrow on all the afore-mentioned sites:

Sony Ebook Store $15.39
    Books on Board $22.20
    Amazon (Kindle) $9.99
    Waterstones N/A
    Fictionwise $27.99

It is a disgrace that Sony are over 50% dearer than Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It's a disgrace that they can charge more than 10 bucks for an ebook.

Am I am interpreting the Fictionwise deal right in that if you take out a 5 year subscription now for $125 that you can order $300 of books free before June 21st?

That is not free but it is a pretty good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

ElNino wrote: »
    I have successfully bought books from the Sony Ebook store by changing the country in my address to United States.

Apart from the Kindle books on Amazon the Sony store prices are the cheapest which I can find. The other stores seem to be way more expensive particularly for new releases.

Can I ask how you managed to buy from the Sony website? When I try and change the country to the US, it says that it's different to the billing address of my credit card. They seem to have a better selection than Waterstones.

Are the Amazon books for the Kindle compatable with the Sony Reader? Like the OP, I recently got a Sony Reader and I am having trouble finding a good range of titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭radiofoot

Has anyone tried the New York Library membership? $100 for non-residents with access to ebook downloads.

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    Can I ask how you managed to buy from the Sony website? When I try and change the country to the US, it says that it's different to the billing address of my credit card. They seem to have a better selection than Waterstones..

On the screen where you put in your credit card number I change the country to US and put in a US zip code and state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

ElNino wrote: »
    On the screen where you put in your credit card number I change the country to US and put in a US zip code and state.

Hi, thanks, I tried that but it said that the address given didn't match the billing address for my card. Any way around that?

Sorry but it does work for me. I can only think of 2 things which you can try.

1. Have you downloaded the US version of the Sony Ebook Software from here?
    http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/

2. Also is your firmware updated to 1.1? See the following link:
    http://ebookstore.sony.com/download-firmware/

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MoogPoo

user banned for two weeks

Advertisement