Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo - Real move is definitely off, but then probably on!?!

• 03-04-2009 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

An Exclusive in the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/apr/03/cristiano-ronaldo-real-madrid-transfer
    Real Madrid have put in place a deal with Cristiano Ronaldo's advisers that will see him leave Manchester United this summer if the world footballer of the year gets his way. Ronaldo remains determined to move to the Bernabéu and it is understood his salary and contractual terms have already been determined as part of a planned world-record £75m transfer.

Ronaldo's representatives have held extensive talks with Madrid and, according to informed sources, categorically informed the Spanish club last September that he had no intention of remaining in Manchester beyond the end of the current season. It is understood that various pledges were made to ensure the deal happens and that everyone involved in the negotiations made a pact not to discuss the agreement in public.

That strategy explains why Ronaldo has stopped talking about his "dream move", but it proved too difficult for one of Real's club's directors, Pedro Trapote, who tipped off the El Mundo newspaper in December. "If you are asking me what we are going to do now, then I would tell you that we have already signed the best player for the summer," he said in a recorded interview, intended to be an off-the-record briefing. Asked to clarify that he meant Ronaldo, he added: "The best of the best. It is Cristiano, there is no other. It is better that we do not say anything at the moment, though. It is best to not say anything because there are some clauses that prevent us from announcing it now."

Sir Alex Ferguson reacted furiously at the time, insisting that he would not "sell a virus" to "that mob", but it now appears that Trapote was speaking in good faith, having been privy to what was taking place behind the scenes.

Mods soz for posting this outside Man Utd thread but I reckoned this might be of general "oooooooooooh" style interest!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mike I thought you would have more sense than post crap like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Headshot wrote: »
    Mike I taught you would have more sense than post crap like that

yea Mike, everyone knows Ronaldo has no interest in going to Madrid....oh wait.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

strange one last year it could be argued about the giant fee for him but this year they should prob go get ashley young for 30 million and save themselves a fortune. they'd get more consistency anyway from young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It'll all be denied but I think this is the er real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Yeah his tan's fading,the vain plik man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

£75m? United should bite their hands off. Right now I'm not sure he's worth £50m. I've been really disappointed with his temperament over the course of the season and when the pressure has been on in the big matches he's failed to produce. I'd love this story to be true. With that kind of money United could bring in a guy like Benzema and a quality midfielder and he wouldn't be missed on his current form.

I must say I think he'd be a real idiot to go join Madrid the way that club is at the minute but if he wants to be a show pony at the circus then good luck to him...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

you'd think someone at Real is posturing because of some kind of election coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Going to leave this open because The Guardian is a reputable newspaper, and Daniel Taylor no fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Balague announced this a month or so back aswell I think...

If we were to be offered 75-80M then it should probably be accepted. Could go after Ribery and Benzema with that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Ronaldo = one season wonder

That form of last season was never going to be repeated.

For £75 Million I wouldnt hesitate to sell him.

Jesus, how on this seasons showing he is even worth that is a mystery.

Real Madrid seem the fools for putting this deal in place if it turns out to be true.

He has 19 goals fair enough but his all round play has been average at best.

His attitude still stinks but thats nothing new.

Ribery at 26 is the ideal replacement all though I highly doubt we would get him.

If Ronaldo goes to Real Madrid he will be shown up by Messi to be a fraud.

Man Utd is bigger than any one player and always will be.

I am one United supporter who wont be sorry to see him leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i'm a liverpool fan and i agree with absolutely everything you said.

especially that no 1 player is bigger than any club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Sir Alex will cash in on him this summer, his temperment reeks, cant handle it.

and he is getting to that dangerous guvnor stage where he thinks he is the man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Sir Alex will cash in on him this summer, his temperment reeks, cant handle it.

and he is getting to that dangerous guvnor stage where he thinks he is the man

Be very surprised though if it's to Real. Fergy fairly holds onto his grudges. remember he took the financial hit on Beckham that time when he offloaded him to Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As an opposition fan, I'd waaaay prefer to see United keep Ronaldo then offload him for 75million.

If I were Alex, i'd sell Berba too for 20-25 mill, have 100 in the kitty, sign up Benzema, Ribery, Young and make Tevez official.

That would probably come to about 110mill, so not a bad outlay, for an incredible squad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

For 75m ? Deffo sell him.

However, he would be almost impossible to replace. There is no winger in world football that is going to get you the sheer amount of goals he will. Maybe Messi...but noone else.

One season wonder ? Hes on 17 goals! Fair enough, its not as many as last year, but thats still a phenomenal return. I cant stand the guy. His attitude stinks. I find it hard to even look at him. But you cant question his ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Tusky wrote: »
    For 75m ? Deffo sell him.

However, he would be almost impossible to replace. There is no winger in world football that is going to get you the sheer amount of goals he will. Maybe Messi...but noone else.

One season wonder ? Hes on 17 goals! Fair enough, its not as many as last year, but thats still a phenomenal return. I cant stand the guy. His attitude stinks. I find it hard to even look at him. But you cant question his ability.

I get the impression Fergie's going to go for a different tactic, one that's less flexible, and more reliant on conventional strikers, eg, Berbatov and Tevez/Rooney/

For £75 million it's definitely worth it. Given the fall of the pound, Real can offer United a lot more money than last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Why would Ronaldo wanna join Madrid? They aint gonna win nothing for years. That club is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I think the whole thing will revolve around Ferguson, if he thinks Ronaldo has more cons than pros at utd he will get rid, but i would be shocked if it was directly to Real Madrid. You just have to look at the things he says about Real, the whole "Wouldnt sell a virus to that mob" thing is the tip of the Iceberg.

As a utd fan, while I somtimes cringe at some of his antics and find him increasing hard to defend, I do appriciate that he is without doubt one of the best players on the planet. The fact that he is 2nd top scorer this season with 13 league goals (joint with Gerrard) while people slate him for having a terrible season is testiment to that and i fully realise that replacing him would be a near impossible task to say the least.

However, the thought of bringing in players like Benzema whom I rate very highly, Ribery, completing the Tevez deal, and possibly investing in a few younger potentials, just looks way too appealing.

If kaka is worth over £100m (one could argue you can't compare to City's ridiculous offers), then yea in that climate £75m is reasonable for Ronaldo, and if anything is going to unfold this summer, i hope it gets done early.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If it happens, I hope it happens quickly, and we don't have to listen to the same crap as last summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I love the way people are up for selling Ronaldo and replacing him with such un proven players.

Young has done it in the premier league but has proven nothing at the top level.

Ribery has been playing in the second division of European leagues his whole career.

Benzema has had a couple of seasons in the French league and his stats don't exactly blow me away though I think he will be good.

This is before we even start discussing the availability of these players. Or wether all the transfer money would be given to Fergie.

Ronaldo was our best player last year. Is our top goal scorer this year. Hasn't been playing as brilliantly as last year but is still playing well.

People moaning about his tempermant that was there last year in every game we struggled in.

No matter what he done this season some people would still be calling for him to be sold.

Also this article had come out of no where using quotes from last December. Which both the manager and player shot down. Ronaldo has shown no desire to leave this season. Has not been quoted or mis quoted as suggesting anything. So all this hated is balls IMO. They guy ****ed up last summer. Get over it. People make mistakes especially young people been given bad advice.

Fans should be supporting the team for the season and not giving these stories legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

75m :eek: I'd be surprised if they get 50 for him at present. Only Man City would be foolish enough to hand over that kind of cash. Imo the deal is likely to be already done as early as last summer judging by his disgraceful performances this season.

Highsider wrote: »
    75m :eek: I'd be surprised if they get 50 for him at present. Only Man City would be foolish enough to hand over that kind of cash. Imo the deal is likely to be already done as early as last summer judging by his disgraceful performances this season.

Hmm your not the smartest. If the deal was done last summer do you not think the fee would have been set last summer? And therfore be based on the fact he was the best player in the world. Do you honestly believe that
    Fergie would keep playing somebody he has agree to sell. Fergie has been very reluctant to drop or rest ronaldo. Would he do that when he was going to sell the player in the summer. Would he do that if a player was consistently putting in what you call diagraceful performaces.

Or do you just like putting sentences together that make no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hmm your not the smartest. If the deal was done last summer do you not think the fee would have been set last summer? And therfore be based on the fact he was the best player in the world. Do you honestly believe that
    Fergie would keep playing somebody he has agree to sell. Fergie has been very reluctant to drop or rest ronaldo. Would he do that when he was going to sell the player in the summer. Would he do that if a player was consistently putting in what you call diagraceful performaces.

:eek: who pissed on your cornflakes this morning?!

To be fair, Ronaldo has put in some depressingly disinterested performances this season. he's also looked great at times too. I doubt Ferguson has made any agreements to sell him already, but i would be surprised if he didn't accept a 75mill offer, if he was allowed to respend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Its about time everyone comes to terms with it. This move will happen. Its what the player wants and has always wanted. they cant hold it back for much longer. Let him go. Let him be happy. It is only one player.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    :eek: who pissed on your cornflakes this morning?!

To be fair, Ronaldo has put in some depressingly disinterested performances this season. he's also looked great at times too. I doubt Ferguson has made any agreements to sell him already, but i would be surprised if he didn't accept a 75mill offer, if he was allowed to respend it.

Ya see you made some actually objective points rather than sweeping statements. He has been hit and miss this campaign. What fergie would take for him, based on how difficult he would be to replace it would take a hell of a lot I can't see it happening until we have someone signed to replace him or until fergie is gone.

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    Its about time everyone comes to terms with it. This move will happen. Its what the player wants and has always wanted. they cant hold it back for much longer. Let him go. Let him be happy. It is only one player.

Same kind of statements were made last summer.

one bad season and some utd fans want him sold already?

ffs as if Ronaldo could repeat last season performance,and you can tell he's under soo much pressure to repeat it and with no preseason under his belt,its tought going for him and iv havent even mention the sly kicking Ronaldo gets too

soccer fans have the best short term memories around

edit: Ronaldo has said numerous times he wants to stay at utd

one bad season and some utd fans want him sold already?

ffs as if Ronaldo could repeat last season performance,and you can tell he's under soo much pressure to repeat it and with no preseason under his belt,its tought going for him and iv havent even mention the sly kicking Ronaldo gets too

soccer fans have the best short term memories around

edit: Ronaldo has said numerous times he wants to stay at utd

It hasn't been bad season just not a repeat of last years. It very much like two seasons ago, I don't remember anyone calling for his head then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

It hasn't been bad season just not a repeat of last years. It very much like two seasons ago, I don't remember anyone calling for his head then.

To be fair, nobody is "calling for his head" in the traditional sense. Most/All people are saying that for £75,000,000 it makes sense and should go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ugh, I was hoping this kinda thing might be avoided til at least May.

eddiehead wrote: »
    To be fair, nobody is "calling for his head" in the traditional sense. Most/All people are saying that for £75,000,000 it makes sense and should go ahead.

I'm saying 75mill is useless there is people out there that you could get good enough to replace him.

sorry thats what i ment

for a player having a bad season he has 13 goals and 5 assists in the PL

A.Young has 5 goals and 8 assists in the PL

you know what i rather keep Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'll be very sad to see him leave, not from any sort of love of him, but just his talent as a player. I still think he is one of the best players in the world, and despite his ****e season so far, he's still outscoring most of the "on-form" players.

Beyond that, his marketing value is so strong that it makes so little sense to sell him. That said, if we can't get him to sign a new contract, we ultimately have to cash in.

Fergie will do what is in the best interests of the club I think.

My real question through all of this, and this really is the question I always wonder, is why in the hell you'd want to join Madrid at this time. They are in transition, desperately need to re-work their entire squad, and English football is clearly the place to be. It makes so little sense to move to Madrid. Barca I'd understand, but Madrid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Get rid of him, find a replacement and bring Beckham back as a super sub:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

He will not go at the end of this season. He will go whenever SAF goes, and that will NOT be this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

PHB wrote: »
    My real question through all of this, and this really is the question I always wonder, is why in the hell you'd want to join Madrid at this time. They are in transition, desperately need to re-work their entire squad, and English football is clearly the place to be. It makes so little sense to move to Madrid. Barca I'd understand, but Madrid?

It's warm in Madrid. He can work on his tan there.

PHB wrote: »

R.madrid is the Newcastle of la-liga
    (except with money and is 2nd in la-liga)

R.madrid is the Newcastle of la-liga

haven't they won la liga the last two years? and challenging again this year?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

redout wrote: »
    Ronaldo = one season wonder

That form of last season was never going to be repeated.

For £75 Million I wouldnt hesitate to sell him.

Jesus, how on this seasons showing he is even worth that is a mystery.

Real Madrid seem the fools for putting this deal in place if it turns out to be true.

He has 19 goals fair enough but his all round play has been average at best.

His attitude still stinks but thats nothing new.

Ribery at 26 is the ideal replacement all though I highly doubt we would get him.

If Ronaldo goes to Real Madrid he will be shown up by Messi to be a fraud.

Man Utd is bigger than any one player and always will be.

I am one United supporter who wont be sorry to see him leave.

Ive hardly ever posted in man u threads,just never have anything to say except when i congratulated yas when yas won leagues and CL.
    I just got to reply to the above, i totally agree and as a Pool fan i think man u would be insane beyond belief if they didnt accept this offer.
    Think of what that money could buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I don't think Ronaldo's has a particularly bad season, it's just coming off the back of a phenomenal season last time round, anything he did this season was never going to measure up. He's still put nearly 20 goals away, that's hardly poor form for a winger. Actually, his form has probably been a reflection of Man U more genrally this season, they haven't been as cavalier as they were last season, much more of a grind-results-out kind of team this term, despite being top.

Yes, his attitude's been rubbish, but what's new? The thing about Ronaldo is, there are better pros out there. Yes, he's brilliant when he's good, and he can destroy small teams' defences single-handedly with his pace and power. But put two men on him and he just gets frustrated, flailing his arms about, etc. I think he just lacks football intelligence. Obviously, he's a fantastic player, but I think he's too easily snuffed out of matches, he sticks to the wing, tries to beat two or three men, when it'd be more sensible to use the space opened up by such defensive measures, or even just to play the simple pass.

For 75m, I'd sell. His loss would be huge, but he's replaceable - 75m could bring in two, even three, top-drawer players - it could actually make Man U stronger as a teamin the long run.

Lads, its worth noting that i think the 75m quoted in the article is more a guesstimate based on the sums discussed last year.

The fee in question will have to be negotiated with Utd as a club & will presumably factor in his form this year as well as last. The only thing agreed according to the article, is his personal terms which Ronaldo & his people have been working with Real on since September, which is very believeable & something Real have been accused of numerous times of in the past, including with David Beckham.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    haven't they won la liga the last two years? and challenging again this year?

I ment in terms of how the club in run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If we didn't have Ronaldo, we'd have to address the weakenesses in the rest of the squad.

Our central midfield is good, but it isn't world class. Scholes is getting old. Hargreaves is just broken. Anderson is a young kid with potential, but not yet there. Carrick is good in a specific role but needs the right partner.

We've no stand out left winger, we've got Park who is a good player, but not a great one, and two youngsters yet to prove themselves.

Ronaldo papers over our lack of goals from midfield. Our attack and defence are world class, but in the middle, we're not at the same level. Ronaldo papers over that. Without him, we'd need to desperately spend money strengthening the other areas, as well as just replacing him. Ribery is nowhere near good enough to do it. He's a great winger, and he'd be a great partner to Messi, but he's never going to reach that level of goal scoring that Messi and Ronaldo can manage.

If Ronaldo left, imo, we'd need to buy
    A world class left winger
    A world class right winger
    A world class box-to-box central midfielder

With him in the squad, we can get away with just very good in those areas.

Hmm. Won't waste my time

Hmm. Won't waste my time

Seriously man/women either learn how to put an argument together or piss off. There really is no point posting on forums especially this one where all fans are mixed together with out having the basic skills of being able to express an opinion and then being able to defend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`d be very surprised if he doesnt go to Madrid this summer.

I`d also be surprised if we get 75 million for him. 50 million + would be a great deal for United and I`d be more than happy to see him go for that price as long as the cash was re-invested in the team.

Hes taking the piss and its time for him to move on.

Seriously man/women either learn how to put an argument together or piss off. There really is no point posting on forums especially this one where all fans are mixed together with out having the basic skills of being able to express an opinion and then being able to defend it.
    Grow up. Telling people to "piss off" on line. What age are you? Five.
    Reported

Hmm. Won't waste my time
    whay kind of reply is that :rolleyes:
    if your not going to make a constructive post dont bother replying

Grow up. Telling people to "piss off" on line. What age are you? Five.
    Reported

maybe if you didnt post a sarcastic reply in the 1st place
    Pot calling the kettle black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Hmm. Won't waste my time

Bitter bitter pool fans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement