Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any idea of good places to eat in D2 for lunch that takes an hour (not sambos)?

Options
  • 03-05-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,

would love to be able to take my other half out for something a bit special at lunch time - thing is that would want lunch to take an hour (75 minutes max) for two courses, including getting the bill! This would not be a regular thing but I would love to know somewhere to go the odd time. I know that sambos are fast but would like something a bit more substantial. Would have to be in the Dublin 2 area. In the past when we have done this we have had to take the afternoon off (reducing our annual leave) as the meals always took 2+ hours. Thanks.

Edit: Romantic is better, but quality food is more important. Neither of us tend to eat beef and I am trying my best to be a sort of vegetarian (eating fish and eggs, but I do break it the odd time).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

I'd say Venu Brasserie, http://www.venu.ie/
    It's off Grafton street

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Hi,

would love to be able to take my other half out for something a bit special at lunch time - thing is that would want lunch to take an hour (75 minutes max) for two courses, including getting the bill! This would not be a regular thing but I would love to know somewhere to go the odd time. I know that sambos are fast but would like something a bit more substantial. Would have to be in the Dublin 2 area. In the past when we have done this we have had to take the afternoon off (reducing our annual leave) as the meals always took 2+ hours. Thanks.

Edit: Romantic is better, but quality food is more important. Neither of us tend to eat beef and I am trying my best to be a sort of vegetarian (eating fish and eggs, but I do break it the odd time).

Restaurant Patrick Guibaud, on Merrion street, 2 michellen stars, €38 for a 2 course lunch, €50 for 3 courses, beautiful setting and great food.

Also, thorntons have dropped their lunch menu from €55 to €25, and this, IMHO is an absolute bargin, not as good as it was 3-4 years ago but for that price its amazing value.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Restaurant Patrick Guibaud, on Merrion street, 2 michellen stars, €38 for a 2 course lunch, €50 for 3 courses, beautiful setting and great food.

Also, thorntons have dropped their lunch menu from €55 to €25, and this, IMHO is an absolute bargin, not as good as it was 3-4 years ago but for that price its amazing value.

3-4 years ago @ thornton's there was no lunch menu, and I'm sure that with the prices a la carte, for a lunch, I couldn't even two glasses of wine for 25 eu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

3-4 years ago @ thornton's there was no lunch menu, and I'm sure that with the prices a la carte, for a lunch, I couldn't even two glasses of wine for 25 eu.

Yes there was a lunch service in throntons 3 years ago. and it was €55 a person where as at the time Patricks place was €35.

When i said not as good as it was 3-4 years ago i didnt mean the price i ment the standard of the restaurant's food.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

George's Wine Bar on South Frederick St does a really good lunch menu and you can be in and out of there in an hour no problems. Last time I was there is was 2 courses for €13 at lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Thanks everyone for the responses - time really is a critical issue with this - if it lasts much more than an hour we would have to take a half day and I dont like the idea of using them up (you can never have enough holidays). Has anyone been to Fire during the week - we love the place but have only gone at the weekend and it seems to be the place for a leisurely lunch, not one on a tight time table. Salamanca is another favorite but again it always takes a long time for lunch (which we do not have :() Will try Georges Wine Bar for starters...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I work on the green and my boyfriend works on the north side of the city so we try to meet up for lunch about once a month - these are our usual haunts in D2

Waggamammas Really good fast food and not expensive. I just love their food.

Hugos on Merrion Row - This place is more on the romantic side and a little expensive for lunch but the food is good and have never been more than an hour

Also Unicorn on Merrion Row is yummy

Bewleys on Grafton Street is nice too for more informal food and the setting is lovely

Market Bar on Fade Street has a lovely kind of Tapas menu which is great for sharing - meatballs are to die for!

Pizza Stop on Chatham Lane does lovely pizzas and is reasonable or Steps of Rome Chatham Court - very small but the food is gorgeous

Tulsi for indian on Baggot Street or Maloti (indian aswell) on South William Street do a good lunch menu

Mao on Chatham Row

There are a million more places and I could go on forever ......

Orlee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 iseeyou

Eddie Rockets on St Anne Street is good, they do Veggie Burgers! My boyfriend brings me there all the time and I love it, just the two of us, in a little 60s booth, plus the food is AMAZING!

iseeyou wrote: »
    Eddie Rockets on St Anne Street is good, they do Veggie Burgers! My boyfriend brings me there all the time and I love it, just the two of us, in a little 60s booth, plus the food is AMAZING!

why not mcdonald's then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 iseeyou

Are you saying my boyfriends cheap? The OP's question if you read it, says "where can we eat in an hour or so" and since McDonalds dont have actual plates, Eddies is somewhere youcan sit down and have a nice bite to eat, its lunch.... whats the big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Hi,

Cornucopia on Wicklow Street is incredibly quick - you can be in and out within 20 minutes quite easily having had a main course and a dessert as the food is already ready and you pay at the counter when you get the food. And the food is lovely!

Metro Café on Chatham Row is very quite quick too, probably not quite so quick as Cornucopia though, but I often pop in there when I only have an hour or so free. You will get a much more solid meal in Cornucopia though - the food in Metro is excellent, but there's not an awful lot of it, and it's very much café-lunchy-sandwichy-bready things, although there are soups and other stuff as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I went for lunch for two in L'Ecrivain on Baggot Street a few weeks ago and it was amazing! They have a €25 and €50 menu. You get 3 courses for lunch. Don't need two guesses to pick which we went for!! The food was lovely and the place was really nice. It was probably the best lunch I've ever had, esp when you consider the quality of food you are getting for €25.

Advertisement