Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Credit Card Centre "security check"?

Options
  • 03-05-2009 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I just got a voicemail from "Carol at AIB Credit Card Centre" who wants to do a "security check". She's working on a bank holiday weekend with a contact number that doesn't remotely match the AIB Credit Card Centre's phone number listed on the 'net. Should I bother ringing her back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭williamb

Have you used your credit card in any unusual fashion recently ? Booked a flight, reserved a hotel abroad ? The credit card companies do have people working at weekends :- it's possible it's a genuine security check, they want to make sure your card hasn't been stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Ring the number for the Credit Card Centre that's on the website and ask.

Anti-fraud departments work weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Murph5

I bought a few books online with the card yesterday. Only €40. It's not the first or biggest online buy I've ever done with the card, but no-one from AIB has ever rang me about the card before in the 10 years I've had it. But shur I'll give her a call so.
    And I'll blame you if she's a scammer and spends a few grand with it. ;)

Edit: Just saw Sleipnir's reply now. I thought the number was only 9 to 5 Monday to Friday. Yeah I'll call them first so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fearandloathing

id be worried about that.. very unusual imo and im talking from personal experience..i highly doubt theres anyone there making calls on a bank holiday weekend.. overtime is non existant at the moment in aib.. give NO details over the phone if the call is unsolicited, thats my advice.. ring the aib credit card department on tuesday and check if the call was genuine..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

id be worried about that.. very unusual imo and im talking from personal experience..i highly doubt theres anyone there making calls on a bank holiday weekend.. overtime is non existant at the moment in aib.. give NO details over the phone if the call is unsolicited, thats my advice.. ring the aib credit card department on tuesday and check if the call was genuine..

It's not overtime, those departments work on a 24x7 shift. The lost credit card section doesn't close on a weekend does it?

Just ring them, nobody here can tell you if the call was genuine, only AIB can do that.

I had a call from a chap in PTSB about 2 months ago to say that my card may have been compromised. I told him I'd ring him back in 5 minutes and called the number on the card to make sure it was PTSB I was talking to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Murph5

Well, I rang the 'real' AIB Credit Card Centre number and, after a few minutes of hitting keys in response to the "Please press..." menus, I finally got through to a human. It seems Carol was genuine and the online buy had been flagged as suspicious for some reason. I'm gonna have to buy the books again, but the card details are safe. Thanks for the advice, folks....

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Happened me a few months ago, got a call from a private number asking me to confirm my credit card details for security reasons. For obvious reasons I explained I wasn't giving them out so they asked me to call the number on the back of the card. When I rang back I had entered the wrong CVV buying something online and this flagged a warning up at the credit card company.
    In this day and age though you are better calling them back yourself, I can't think of a way for the bank to contact you and you to be 100% certain it's them.

Advertisement