Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat6 Home Network

Options
  • 03-05-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I am a networking novice, but at hoping the experts here can help me out.

I've been living on wireless since we moved into our house, and now feel it would be great to get a proper network in, as the kids are growing, as are the devices which could benefit from a wired set-up.

I have at present Eircom 3GB, and a D-Link 655 Router.

I would like to add in the main living rooms, 4-6 ethernet points (at least 1 chimney breast mounted), and then add a few others in bedrooms, kitchen, etc. overtime.

I have a semi-converted attic space, in that its floored, easy to move around in, has power, lighting, and the ability to access the ceiling of the rooms below in each corner.

So I should be able to run cable from the attic relatively straight down through the ceiling into the upstairs rooms, and then on down to the downstairs rooms. Getting to the chimney breast might not be so straight forward, and may require running cable around wall/corners to center on the chimney breast.

I was considering initially just getting a couple of switches, however am at present thinking the best way to go is to use Cat6 cabling and run as many runs as needed per room. I only want to do this once, so am not going with Cat5e.

I know Cat6 can be a little difficult to deal with/manage from my brief reading around, so would appreciate any advice on how best to install it.

I would also be interested in good stores (online or Dublin) where to purchase: Cat6, back-boxes, faceplates, etc. (all the bits I need)

Feel free to comment on anything I may have also overlooked as I am pretty much a novice, but don't mind giving DIY a go.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi there,

My first advice to to read back over similar posts over the last six months. This has been talked to death and there has been a wealth of information put up. Im a netwoek installer so Im pretty strong minded in this and lots of people disagree with my opinions!!

You have the right Idea though, do it once and do it right. Im not in Dublin so I cant recommend any shops. As Im in the trade I buy direct and only use one brand. Ive used most brands and to be honest all the crap ones are the same so dont pay too much..

bBe careful of the punch down ones as there is A and B wiring. I was auditing 2 hotels recently where the installer put in A wiring on one side and wired it B the other, the whole network failed the tests!!

Cat 6 is a heavier grade cable so it is a little more difficult to work with. Id recommend running all your points to a small cabinet and onto a patch panel. This makes for easier access and a more solid network. Make sure when you strip the cable dont nick the inner cores and only strip off 25mm or less. Dont over bend the cable and dont pull it too hard. Maximum length is 90m but I doubt thats an issue.

Other than that enjoy!! Any questions yopu can pm me or respond here and I and many others will help you as we can..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Cheers Eoghan, I had actually read around old posts, and seen that their was many of you on here to give advice/opinions. I guess I either missed some posts, or felt my questions were not answered?

I suppose at least by choosing Cat6 I have gotten the Cat5e discussion out of the way. ;) (I hope?! :eek:)

I am a bit of a perfectionist too, although must admit I sometimes go to the extreme when it probably is not needed. :rolleyes:

Anyway, some questions (open to everyone reading :pac:):
    • I was concerned with my proposal of damaging cables (over-bending), what do I need to be careful of with Cat6?
    • I kind of understand the concept of a patch panel, but not sure how it fits back with the router/switch exactly?
    • Can you provide some examples/links to patch panels/cabinets which you would recommend for a home set-up?
    • Any links examples of faceplates, etc. also welcome?
    • Any information on where to source stuff would also be welcome.
    Many thanks for responding.

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

I know what you mean about perfection. It actually costs me money because I spend longer on certain jobs just to get everything absolutely perfect, stuff no one will evey even see, but I see it.. If that makes sense..!

ok some answers...

I was concerned with my proposal of damaging cables (over-bending), what do I need to be careful of with Cat6?

Each manufacturer has guidlines on maximum bends, but for a domestic install allow gradual bends and if running in conduit make sure the conduit allows a good bend..

I kind of understand the concept of a patch panel, but not sure how it fits back with the router/switch exactly?

A patch panel is just a neat way connecting everything that you plugged in for example a pc or ps3 onto the switch. If you had 24 connections, 24 modules and back boxes wouldnt be very neat and would take longer to install. The panels I use are actually blank frames and you click modules (the same ones you use on the device side) into the frame so the patch panel can be use for 1 or 48 connections.

Can you provide some examples/links to patch panels/cabinets which you would recommend for a home set-up?

Wouldnt even know where to look!!! Am kellihers electrical or any good electrical wholesaler will have panels. modules and cabinets. There usually from excel or a cheap brand like that

Any links examples of faceplates, etc. also welcome?

I use panduit, their website sucks I wouldnt even make you suffer that. the product is the best Ive used though!!!

Eddie, are you familiar with what the network does, what it can be used for and what the electronics like switches and routers do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Okay, its seems like more homework on all the bits is needed once I determine exactly what I want to go where.

I am fairly familiar what a network does, my main plan will be hard-wired internet, and home network, accessing main PC via extenders/other pcs.

What would your thoughts be if I were to put a 4 port switch in each room, fed from an 8 port switch connected to the router ? I keep going back an forth on this one ! :confused:

That'll work fine one its only data you want to send over a network. The qhole idea of a thue structured cabling system is that you can send data, voice, video, telco, audio, HDMI, alarm, cctv etc etc down it. The second you start putting switches on it everywhere you limit what you can run.. Its not a big deal but its just worth remembering this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

Can you use CAT 6 for HDMI??

what are people running on the cabling they have run in their houses?

apart from Internet and VOICE?

tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Yo,

CAT6 network is sweet on a gigabit network for sure otherwise just use CAT5.

I have a home network setup linking, my PC, x2 laptops, PS3, Wii.

I use media streaming to my PS3 for full 1080p movies with no data loss or quality from my PC. Wireless wouldnt' do it and i didn't want cables run all over the house so I splashed out on some Powerline Adapter 200mb network HD. They work a treat... they're a tad expensive but well worth it...

200 quid for a pair :) so i have 4 rooms networked and if i need another room i just unplug the adapater and plug it into the room i want = immediately connected.

simple neat and tidy although alil expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

If I every build I think i will go central patch panel and have a minium one patch point per room. more in lviing room. Id plan to have the switch in the utility room or maybe even extender to out to the garage . I have a lovely 24port 3com all gig switch. It sounds like a tractor tough. The fans in the 3com are very very noisy.

When I build I intend to have a Comms room probably doubling as my inhouse office come take things apart room..!! Also would like a wine cellar!

I reckon minimum including tv points Id be running min 4 to 8 points per room. 1 for TV, 1 for computer, 1 for phone and of course do a media centre and stream music to all rooms.. Thats getting nice and cheap now..

God help my wife, more will be spent on high tech than couches and curtains!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I've got 2 or 4 CAT5 points to every room, all running back to a data cabinet in the garage. In there is a 24 port Netgear giga switch, two 24-port patch panels, 1TB Buffalo linkstation (soon to be replaced by a rack-mount NAS), Eircom row-terrrr and a UPS. Currently we distribute the phone to 3 rooms, broadband to 6ish, music all over via Sonos multi-room, and stream movies to 1 or 2 PCs at a time. Future plans include CCTV and a gate camera.

Looking back now I'd have put 4 points where I have 2, and 6 where I have 4. Don't forget to put points by doorways for CCTV and cameras etc.

Going to get a couple of these when they're out too:
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/reviews/review.phtml/4014/acer-aspire-revo-nettop-ion.phtml

SSE

• Advertisement

This is something I never understand. Why are people so stingy when running structered cabling. Its like the miracle cable. There is very little you cant run on it. The one thing Im telling people to do is def run it over doors as I think CCTV on your front door is a must, that and covering the car.

Even though I dont really service the domestic market its amazing how CCTV is creeping into houses slowly but surely.. I hate the idea of the door knocking and not knowing who it is.. I do live in the middle of no where though!!!

Anyways back on topic. Yes run as much as you can. As I say a min of 4 per room but Id put in 6-8 myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eao1

Hi there,

Yes i agree with fusion run as many as you can to each room.
    I'v just knocked out under my stairs which was an awful waste of space i might add and ran 4 cats to each and two rg59 coax to each room in the house back to under the stairs,all patched en ready to go into the comms cabinat,my reason was for a wired home network and multi room hd video,and store rack servers,sky hd,xbox etc in my centralized rack, so all my entertainment is centralized and can be controlled from each room. as regards ur comms unit i bought mine from england "ENGLAND i hear u say" and palletised over. i priced a 30 u rack in my wholesalers which i have an account with and i got a price from a the site below in england and i think it was 90 euro cheaper it was a while ago but it was much cheaper than here and that included delivery,,http://www.comm-store.co.uk/.

Best of luck on your quest

Advertisement