Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credited wrong mobile provider.

Options
  • 03-05-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

I topped up someones mobile using AIB 24hr Banking, only realising afterwards that they had switched provider.

So I credited a non-existent O2 number with €20. I emailed O2 asking could they possibly transfer the credit to another O2 account, but aside from a few generic emails assuring me of their interest in my query (:pac:), no response. I don't expect a refund, it was my mistake, but it would be nice to give the credit to someone who can actually use it.

Have I any hope? (Btw, this is the second time I've done this. :o)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Well did you have any luck the last time?

Bit mean of them if they do not do as you've asked. I bet the person who can decided would like it done if they did it by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

PeteK* wrote: »
    Well did you have any luck the last time?

Bit mean of them if they do not do as you've asked. I bet the person who can decided would like it done if they did it by mistake.

I didn't bother trying to sort it out the last time. But if I'm going to make habit out of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Never email o2, they won't get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Happened to me before. I had topped up someone on vodafone with o2 credit and it never went through. I rang vodafone and they eventually sorted it out. Dont bother ringing the bank because they couldnt care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ring the number you topped up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carol_1985

Ring O2 customer care and they will arrange to either credit back your bank account or they should be able to transfer to another account. Just have details of the top up such as date and time so they can trace the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get in touch with AIB customer support and see what they can do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

dudara wrote: »
    Get in touch with AIB customer support and see what they can do for you.

If there anything like Bank of Ireland they wont care. They'll say the system has nothing to do with them and to contact your service provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

mgsrocks wrote: »
    They'll say the system has nothing to do with them and to contact your service provider.

Well it is nothing to do with them. All they do is pass on the payment to the operator. The phone number is topped up instantly.

Why should banks have to waste their resources on people who top up the wrong phone number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Christomouse

I did the same thing. just call O2 and they'll refund the money. Didn't take that long either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 misnomer

happens all the time just ring O2 customer care you may need to fax your Aib statement into them so they can see the transaction if you don't have access to one any o2 store would be happy to help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

You will get it back alright. The only question is when and how much hassle you will need to go through with O2.

I think the main point here is the telephone number. You say your friend switched telephone provider, but did you enter their current number correctly?

If so, then O2 will not have a customer for that number so they will be able to clearly identify that the transaction was in error (whether or not they do this automatically or will you need chase them is another story).

If you entered the wrong number, and that number happens to exist for a current O2 customer, and they've already spent this "bonus" topup, then you might have problems.

Advertisement