Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Insurance

Options
  • 03-05-2009 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

I've a question and not sure if it's in the right forum.

I have insurance with Quinn Direct. It lets me drive any car with the permission of the owner. This is good since I am under 25.

But my question is, does anyone know any other insurance company that will give me the same?

I might leave them since they're being bold to me with a new quote soon.

Can A Mod Move It To Where Davy Suggested? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Banking & Insurance & Pensions Forum is more suited to your request. Repost there and delete it here, or ask a mod nicely to move it for ya ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=544

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

PeteK* wrote: »
    I've a question and not sure if it's in the right forum.

I have insurance with Quinn Direct. It lets me drive any car with the permission of the owner. This is good since I am under 25.

But my question is, does anyone know any other insurance company that will give me the same?

I might leave them since they're being bold to me with a new quote soon.

Can A Mod Move It To Where Davy Suggested? Thanks!

Prob better in motors forum, more posters

You have driving of others cars, prob 3rd party only, most companies offer it if you hold a full licence. just ask can you get driving of other cars on your policy as you ring around.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Hibernian offer the same.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AFAIK, most insurers will allow the first named driver on the policy to do this. My insurance is with Eagle Star and I have this feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Most insurers operating in the Irish market do. Ring a broker like the AA who shop the market and will get you a quote. It is important you realise it is not comp cover when driving other vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I would be very careful with this as often times insurance companies make a distinction between commercial and personal insurance policies under this heading (i.e if both drivers have a Quinn policy one being commerical and the other personal you will not be insured to drive each others vehicle).

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

stepbar wrote: »
    I would be very careful with this as often times insurance companies make a distinction between commercial and personal insurance policies under this heading (i.e if both drivers have a Quinn policy one being commerical and the other personal you will not be insured to drive each others vehicle).
    I don't think I'll get mixed up in that craic.

BUT a garda who once stopped me, said be sure to check my policy cos I may not be insured driving a Parent/Sister/Brother's car.. basically it can exclude family motors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ferga_com

Be aware also that the "driving other cars" extension on motor policies only covers you for third party incidents, even if the policy covers the insured person comprehensively. So if you're driving your friend's car and you crash into a wall, writing off the car but doing no damage to the wall, there would be no claim. Or if you crash into someone else's car, the cover will only pay for the damage to the other person's car, not the one you were driving.

Advertisement