Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The First Time Buyer Syndrome.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

CiaranC wrote: »
    That notion is alien to my mates who live in houses in satellite towns of Dublin with a mortgage to be paid each and every month for the next thirty years.

I cannot begin to imagine how depressed they must be.

- Living in some overpriced crappy house
    - In negative equity
    - Commuting for hours every day
    - Trapped in Ireland

Horrendous.

I have never understood the must-get-on-property-ladder mentality. My only conclusion is some people aren't able to think things through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Baybay

CiaranC wrote: »
    ...my mates who live in houses in satellite towns of Dublin with a mortgage to be paid each and every month for the next thirty years. They will have to work as a necessity to pay that mortgage, regardless of the economic climate or type of job or quality of life. Are they ever going to be able to sell the houses at anywhere near what they paid for them? I doubt it. Its really terrible, these are the guys that took the hit for the greed in the property market big time.

I dodged that bullet by nothing but circumstance, I wouldnt trade with them for anything.

You cant put a price on that.

Depends on how narrow their life vew is.

Assuming for the moment that renting is the way to go, closely followed by living a year here and there, they, amongst many others, have a valuable and much wanted asset to rent out while they live their lives doing what they want, where they want to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

If you think that just renting out your property is as easy as pie, take a look at this forum:

http://irishlandlord.com/forum/

By the way, I don't think anyone really is saying they want to rent forever. They are saying it makes no financial sense to buy in a property bubble (unless you plan to try to sell it before the bubble bursts), and it certainly makes no financial sense to buy when prices are falling and have a long way to go...

No sane person thinks there will be a "recovery" to bubble prices, and certainly no rising prices for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Baybay

No taconnol, I generally don't think anything is easy, particularly at this time.

But I do (choose to) believe there are always options available even if you've made what is perceived to be a bad choice to begin with.

Thanks for the link, btw. I'll have a better look later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

AARRRGH wrote: »
    By the way, I don't think anyone really is saying they want to rent forever. They are saying it makes no financial sense to buy in a property bubble (unless you plan to try to sell it before the bubble bursts), and it certainly makes no financial sense to buy when prices are falling and have a long way to go...
    Exactly. I've gone almost blue in the face trying to explain this to people who are of the mindset that rent is always dead money. I fully intend to buy when I feel I'm getting value for money and when I can get a place I want to live in rather than this ridiculous "first step on the ladder" mentality that's arisen in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

ixoy wrote: »
    Exactly. I've gone almost blue in the face trying to explain this to people who are of the mindset that rent is always dead money. I fully intend to buy when I feel I'm getting value for money and when I can get a place I want to live in rather than this ridiculous "first step on the ladder" mentality that's arisen in recent years.

im one of the few lucky people who saved for rainy day and can prob go tomorrow and buy some cheap starter place in cash

BUT

i really don't know if i want to stick in Ireland for the longterm, the way things are going its tough decision....

especially considering i can work anywhere in world with electricity and internet connection, and there are cheaper/warmer place then here

so ya theres my 2^24 euro-cents :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

ionix5891 wrote: »
    im one of the few lucky people who saved for rainy day and can prob go tomorrow and buy some cheap starter place in cash

BUT

i really don't know if i want to stick in Ireland for the longterm, the way things are going its tough decision....

especially considering i can work anywhere in world with electricity and internet connection, and there are cheaper/warmer place then here

so ya theres my 2^24 euro-cents :D

I agree. A mortgage is a trap that people have to live with for 30 years of their lives. People bought into the "buy before prices go up" attitude during the property boom before thinking it out clearly.

Anyone with some knowledge would have pointed out the housing bubble was going to eventually burst thus having reduced property prices. The prices have dropped between 30 and 40%. Demand is still not there so I can see these dropping even further with also the cost of construction to decline even futher.

Somewhere in the line of 70% reduction would be similar to the property prices decline in other countries that have went through property bubbles. Even then many people will be unemployed in the country so demand will still be weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

taconnol wrote: »
    And what if the price of the property you have bought drops and you're in negative equity? How is buying better? And what about the other places you could be investing your money? Also, you do know you don't pay the market value for your house - unless you have large amounts of cash, you pay interest, which can add up to quite a lot of money over 30 years.

What about the reduced mobility of buying? If you want to move you either have to sell or become an impromptu landlord. By buying, you're also effectively investing the vast majority of your capital in one market, ie the property market thus taking a big risk. Add in the fact that you can't exactly sell off 20% of your house if you need the capital and the financial benefits of house ownership are far from certain.

There seems to be a perception that everybody who ever bought a house is in negative equity. A small percentage of home owners are.
    Im not ready to buy yet but someday i think i will be and wont be afraid of it. Myself and my siblings were always taught to take debt seriously and pay off debt as fast as we can, and all of us do it.

Here are 4 examples that i have intimate knowledge of who own houses. There are a lot more similar examples i know of too.

a - One brother bought his house in 1998. He has paid his whole mortgage off now. And his children are settled in school near where they live. If he was still renting what would he be paying out for a 4 bed house in Dublin now.

b - My parents have their mortgage paid off since before i can remember. They havent been paying rent in Donkeys years.

c - My sister bought her house in 2002. A 3 bed semi in Dublin. She has approximately 15 years left on the mortgage. Originally 30 years, but overpaid every year. The last time i checked she was paying €700 a month, though i hear shes recently fixed that for 10 years and pays about €100 a month more now. Dont have the details though.

d - My other brother bought his first house in 2000 and he traded up in 2006 at the height of the bubble. He now lives in a 3 bed detached cottage in Bray. His family are well settled into their lives there. His mortgage is for €150,000. I dont know what he pays per month on that or what the term is though.

They would all say "Rent, whats that?".
    I dont think rent is dead money. It allows me to live my life the way i want to and im prepared to pay for it. Its all about wha suits each indiviual.

Exposure to interest rates can be controlled according to your appetite for risk too.

What is the average interest rate over the last 10 years? Not so high as people think.

What kind of interest rates can you get fixed for 10 years now? That would certainly ease the burden of having to worry about interest rate rises. But you pay a bit more for this security.

Here are 4 examples that i have intimate knowledge of who own houses...

All your examples are of people who bought either before the property bubble, at the start of the property bubble, or who cashed in somewhat during property bubble.

I don't think anyone is trying to say a house purchased in 2000 was a rip off.

I also don't think anyone is trying to say you should never buy a house.

People are talking in the context of "now" which is a falling property market, 12 - 18 months after the bubble burst.

IMO only the deluded (and there are a lot of them in Ireland) could argue the house they bought in 2005/2006/2007/2008 was a good purchase. Your brother would be an exception as he bought in 2000, sold in 2006 - which I assume means he made a massive profit - and bought in 2006 using a small mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

IMO only the deluded (and there are a lot of them in Ireland) could argue the house they bought in 2005/2006/2007/2008 was a good purchase. Your brother would be an exception as he bought in 2000, sold in 2006 - which I assume means he made a massive profit - and bought in 2006 using a small mortgage.

That's a lot of people you're calling deluded there, Aarrrgh. I can agree that some people bought outside their means, but that happens all the time, everywhere. At least we didn't go down the sub-prime route, offering mortgages to the unemployed. However, to say that everyone that bought a house during 05-08 was deluded is, at best, narrow minded, at worst, an ignorant generalisation of something that you don't fully understand.

That's a lot of people you're calling deluded there, Aarrrgh. I can agree that some people bought outside their means, but that happens all the time, everywhere. At least we didn't go down the sub-prime route, offering mortgages to the unemployed. However, to say that everyone that bought a house during 05-08 was deluded is, at best, narrow minded, at worst, an ignorant generalisation of something that you don't fully understand.

2 questions please @ BroomBurner

did the prices go down across the board since they bough in the 05-08 period?

do you think the prices will be below the level they bought these at (05-08 period) anytime in next 5 years?

these are 2 very important questions, as a yes to both will mean they are loosing money on these houses (negative equity)

now granted some people needed a house due to family and all that but alot of people where buying for sake of buying
    either way whether they "needed" the house or not they are more than likely in negative equity now as prices have fallen and still have long way to fall

All your examples are of people who bought either before the property bubble, at the start of the property bubble, or who cashed in somewhat during property bubble.

I don't think anyone is trying to say a house purchased in 2000 was a rip off.

I also don't think anyone is trying to say you should never buy a house.

People are talking in the context of "now" which is a falling property market, 12 - 18 months after the bubble burst.

None of these are exceptions. People buy houses all the time. Looking back in 20 or 30 years the date you bought your house will be largely irrelevant. I know you are purposely trying to pick the worst years possible that someone could have bought a house, but you have to realize, a hell of a lot more people bought house outside your bad years.

buying a house is not just about "Now". Its about your future.

Would you say that over a 20 - 30 year term that people buying now will be in negative equity?

What will rents be in 20 - 30 years when those people buying now are finished their mortgages?

Its horses for courses really. Some are better renting and some are better buying. And calling people deluded for buying a house is a bit rich.

Im not saying rent is dead money at all. But buying a home isnt a stupid action either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

2 questions please @ BroomBurner

did the prices go down across the board since they bough in the 05-08 period?

do you think the prices will be below the level they bought these at (05-08 period) anytime in next 5 years?

these are 2 very important questions, as a yes to both will mean they are loosing money on these houses (negative equity)

now granted some people needed a house due to family and all that but alot of people where buying for sake of buying
    either way whether they "needed" the house or not they are more than likely in negative equity now as prices have fallen and still have long way to fall

You're asking the right questions, but not all of them. How about those that bought a house in the last few years, their house hasn't dropped in value below what they paid and their house doesn't depriciate in the next five years (why five, btw?)? Are you suggesting that there are not people in this situation? If you are, you must know pretty much everyone in Ireland that has bought a house since 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Someone else made the point that renters would be in more affluent areas - I actually laughed at that one. Affluent areas will hold higher rents, as they will hold higher mortgage values.
    Curious, could you point out what was incorrect about the statement?

In Dublin you'd have to be blind not to notice that the discrepancy between rents and mortgage payments clearly increases with the affluence of the area. Put simply the premium you pay for buying in those areas is substantially more than the premium you pay for renting. Even for moderately affluent areas rents on family homes (not shoeboxes) are still often ~60-70% of equivalent mortgage repayments even at these anomalous interest rate levels and after 30-40% price drops. The difference becomes more acute if you begin to consider the extremes of Foxrock or Ballsbridge.
    Wow, freedom to move around, yeah, that's worth investing in (use sacrcastic tones for that last sentence).
    At a time when so many Irish people wish to but are unable to move abroad (or even to other areas within Ireland) for employment due to financial commitments, it seems strange to dismiss the advantages of employment mobility. The current recession is likely to put paid once and for all to the notion of a job for life.

That's a lot of people you're calling deluded there, Aarrrgh.

Yeah, there are a lot of deluded people in Ireland. Deep down they know they made a bad decision, but are unable to admit it.

When did you buy your home?

None of these are exceptions.

They are in the context of this topic.

Looking back in 20 or 30 years the date you bought your house will be largely irrelevant.

This simply is not true.

If you bought your two bed apartment for 420k in 2006, which is worth 280k in 2009, and probably 180k in 2012, you can't dismiss that as something which will be irrelevant with time.

Negative equity is a big deal for a lot of people.

Would you say that over a 20 - 30 year term that people buying now will be in negative equity?

Their mortgage will have been paid off, but they will have spent many years trapped in their home because they could not afford to sell it.

What will rents be in 20 - 30 years when those people buying now are finished their mortgages?

No idea.

But buying a home isnt a stupid action either.

No one is saying buying a home is stupid. We are saying buying during a boom (and in particular near the latter stages of a boom) and immediately after a boom is stupid. I know loads of people who recently bought don't want to believe that, but I don't believe in ignoring reality.

ok. i didnt realise AARRGH that we were talking about mortgages lasting only from 2005 to 2008. And that people have only bought houses in those years. Or is it just you talking about that.

You do know that mortgages are much longer terms than that dont you? And that people bought house in other years too?

Maybe they should have invested their money in the stock markets during those years instead.
    I just hope they stayed away from the banks :) Or any stocks come to think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You're asking the right questions, but not all of them. How about those that bought a house in the last few years, their house hasn't dropped in value below what they paid and their house doesn't depriciate in the next five years (why five, btw?)? Are you suggesting that there are not people in this situation? If you are, you must know pretty much everyone in Ireland that has bought a house since 2005.
    Are you suggesting that there are properties which neither inflated in price with the bubble or dropped in price when it burst?

Have you got an example? Why were these houses immune from the property bubble?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

ok. i didnt realise AARRGH that we were talking about mortgages lasting only from 2005 to 2008. And that people have only bought houses in those years. Or is it just you talking about that.

You do know that mortgages are much longer terms than that dont you? And that people bought house in other years too?

Maybe they should have invested their money in the stock markets during those years instead.
    I just hope they stayed away from the banks :) Or any stocks come to think of it.

OK at the current market level, people who bought say pre-2003 are not in negative equity but the market has further to fall. If you think it can't fall much further, just look at this graph of Japan house prices:

japan-house-prices--nov08.gif

taconnol wrote: »
    OK at the current market level, people who bought say pre-2003 are not in negative equity but the market has further to fall. If you think it can't fall much further, just look at this graph of Japan house prices:

japan-house-prices--nov08.gif

Oh I believe it has further to fall alright.
    Im only trying to make the point that not everyone who bought a house is going to end up in the red. Some here seem to think this applies to all house owners.

I also believe people are purposely cherry picking the worst years and the worst crashes (as above) for dramatic effect.

Any other examples out of the dozens of property crashes in the world?
    Did any more last that long or did you just pick Japan because it was the worst one? How long do they normally last. Thats like someone posting up a graph of the shortest property bear market, isnt it. It means nothing in the wider context.

How about an average of about 10 of them.

• Advertisement

ok. i didnt realise AARRGH that we were talking about mortgages lasting only from 2005 to 2008. And that people have only bought houses in those years.

I know I am repeating myself here, but no one thinks the concept of buying a home is a bad thing. So please stop trying to suggest any of us think that.

We think in the context of the past few years, the present, and the next few years, it makes financial sense to rent.

People who bought a home over the past few years, or who are thinking of buying a home within the next few months, will end up in negative equity. This means they will find it very hard to sell their home without getting in further debt.

No reasonable person thinks we will see bubble prices ever again, or at least, not for a number of decades. We have a long recession ahead of us, so if you bought during the bubble you are going to be in negative equity for a long time. And of course, if you had waited before rushing onto the property ladder you would have saved yourself a few hundred thousand in interest and negative equity.

Yes, you will eventually pay off your mortgage and will own an asset, but you will have been trapped in negative equity for years, and will have been paying back an unnecessarily large loan.

Buying in two or three years might make sense.

same as above, theres nothing wrong with buying houses as such, its just now its a very bad financial idea

but for many years the prices where way above "normal" of 3-4x the average wage (as has been the average thruout history in all countries including this one) and they are still way above indicating that they have some way to fall, and this countries economic position will get worse in the next 5 years instead of better so no increases in house prices likely

so buying houses as an investment is not a good idea for next few years and renting will litteraly save you money until houses go up again (and not go up due to inflation i am talking about real terms here) as you would be pouring money down the drain unless you don't intend on selling any time in next few dozen years (how many people can truly say they will have same job in same area for that timespan?)

theres a reason why theres such a flight for cash now in business world, liquidity and flexibility is king in a recession, same applies to people unless you truly have a safe job buying a house now would mean losing alot of money, best idea now is to rent for few years until we hit the bottom and then buy in if you must

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

same as above, theres nothing wrong with buying houses as such, its just now its a very bad financial idea

but for many years the prices where way above "normal" of 3-4x the average wage (as has been the average thruout history in all countries including this one) and they are still way above indicating that they have some way to fall, and this countries economic position will get worse in the next 5 years instead of better so no increases in house prices likely

so buying houses as an investment is not a good idea for next few years and renting will litteraly save you money until houses go up again (and not go up due to inflation i am talking about real terms here) as you would be pouring money down the drain unless you don't intend on selling any time in next few dozen years (how many people can truly say they will have same job in same area for that timespan?)

theres a reason why theres such a flight for cash now in business world, liquidity and flexibility is king in a recession, same applies to people unless you truly have a safe job buying a house now would mean losing alot of money, best idea now is to rent for few years until we hit the bottom and then buy in if you must

People are still being offered over 7 times their combined salaries. Its nuts.
    Wht are consumer groups not demanding 3 1/2 for a single and 5 times for a couple as a max?

Some here seem to think this applies to all house owners.
    It doesn't apply to all but when you consider 50% of Ireland's housing stock has been built since 1994, I'd bet there is an enormous feck-load of them out there.
    I also believe people are purposely cherry picking the worst years and the worst crashes (as above) for dramatic effect.
    Again, you're making the mistake of assuming that we're saying property is always a bad investment, when in fact what we're doing is countering your argument that property is always a good investment.
    Any other examples out of the dozens of property crashes in the world?
    Did any more last that long or did you just pick Japan because it was the worst one? How long do they normally last. Thats like someone posting up a graph of the shortest property bear market, isnt it. It means nothing in the wider context.

How about an average of about 10 of them.

I hate to break it to you but property crashes around the world all follow pretty much the same trend. All that crap you heard from the ESRI about a "soft landing"? Either they were lying or stupid enough to actually believe that something that has never ever happened would miraculously happen here in Ireland. In this graph, you can see UK house prices. Note the bubble in the early '90s and then imagine what it's going to be like coming down the other side of that huge peak you can see in 2006:

Graph-house-prices-1975-2006.gif

OK look I have a really big issue with the attitude being expressed by a few people here (and in other places) about property:

The idea that rent is dead money/property is a good investment etc etc fails to grasp the idea that property is not just about investment. If people want to go around hyping up the market in, say, DVD players, I really couldn't care less because DVD players are not an integral part of my life, nor are they one of my daily necessities. Property, (ie shelter) on the other hand, is right down there at the bottom of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. When you treat something too much like an investment or asset, there is a very strong risk that the poorer sections of society will not have the opportunity to acquire this item or enter the market. ie, people are priced out of the market.

In other words, I'm sick of housing being treated as something just to make money out of and not as a basic human right in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

In other words, I'm sick of housing being treated as something just to make money out of and not as a basic human right in this country.

Taconnol`s final sentence just about describes it I think.

My reasoning for posting the original item was a genuine and still existant uncertainty as to how generations of mainland Europeans DID manage to thrive into old-age in rented acomodation ?

There is a somewhat dark shadow over the Irish property owning classes (of which I am one) going forward as to how in a contracting labour market the average blue-collar single income family will be able to service their Mortgage?

I have little doubt but that these folks are going to be faced with some very unpalatable choices such as the affordability of more children,the ability to run a second (or even a first) car and many of the aspects of modern living which we had begun to assume as "Normal".

What concentrates my mind more than anything is the extent to which external,financial sector pressures were brought to bear on a large sector of our young well educated and marketable population to turn them into a large group of hamstrung mortgage payers who now dance to the tune of a lending agency`s legal department.

I just despair of how we ended up in a situation where Renting or Purchasing one`s resedential property ended up as two diametrically opposed means to the same end,ie: the accquisition of a safe comfortable location from which one could live their full life :confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

First off, do "most continentals" rent for all their lives?

Secondly, in what countries are you looking at?

Thirdly, what is the legislation like in each of those countries regarding the availability of landspace for the building of new homes?

You need to be able to answer each of these questions, then compare it to Ireland, before you can have an answer to why people here are more concerned with buying than renting.

as for the "100% correct for a renter to rent now", that is quite a ridiculous comment to make. I could just throw out the statement "it's 100% correct for homeowners to own a home now" :p

Guess, you must not like renting a hotel room as after all its dead money :D

Firstly, yes alot do. You see, rents are normally half the price in major cites there than here hence its a cheaper option than buying there. Plus tenants have greater rights as better security of tenure. There is none of this property speculation nonsense you get here and in UK.

Countries - Germany, Netherlands, Denamrk, France, Italy etc

Landspace as far as i know is tightly controlled so as to preserve green belts due to high populations in contrast to our urban sprawl and commuter lifestyle with low densities.

Yes, it is 100% correct. Have you looked at the maths?

I will spend 10,800 on renting this year. The apt to live in if i bought will fall by greater that amount in the year as it has in the past year(at least double). Its a no-brainer to rent.

Someone else made the point that renters would be in more affluent areas - I actually laughed at that one. Affluent areas will hold higher rents, as they will hold higher mortgage values. Also, I'll presume for this thread we're talking about private renters, and not council renters.

Thats absolute horsepoo of a post.

I'm renting 2bed apt in D4 for 900 which as you know is one of the most expensive districts in Ireland.

An equivalent mortgage would be at least 400k at 1700per mth on teaser rates of 2% and 2300 per mth on normal interest rates of 5%.

gurramok wrote: »
    Guess, you must not like renting a hotel room as after all its dead money :D

Firstly, yes alot do. You see, rents are normally half the price in major cites there than here hence its a cheaper option than buying there. Plus tenants have greater rights as better security of tenure. There is none of this property speculation nonsense you get here and in UK.

Countries - Germany, Netherlands, Denamrk, France, Italy etc

Landspace as far as i know is tightly controlled so as to preserve green belts due to high populations in contrast to our urban sprawl and commuter lifestyle with low densities.

The other benefit of the lack of speculative stuff on the continent is a much lower level of amateur landlords. Investment companies own a lot of apartment blocks that are viewed as a long-term investment and they recognise the benefit of encouraging long-term renters. Here we have lots of individuals who speculated, bought a 2nd property to rent out and don't do a proper job as a landlord (not necessarily intentionally).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

My problem with the "Rent is dead money" mantra, apart from people constantly peddling it to sell property, is that it is based on a logical fallacy:

It assumes that the relationship between ownership and time is linear. e.g someone who bought 5 yrs ago is 5 yrs along the path towards home ownership, 5 yrs nearer than somebody who hasn't bought yet.

I came close to buying in late 2005, and I know for a fact that even if i bought today, I would be years ahead of my 2005 buying self. </doctor who music>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And you will have a wad of savings while you rented which will be a hefty deposit on a house at the right price when buying which will knock many years off a mortgage.

Compare that to a 92% buyer(in current climate) and 100% buyer in the bubble who will pay alot of interest over 30-35 yrs for that purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

So to sum up.

Renting can be dead money.

But not now. And not during the boom.

In fact you needed to spend more on rent than the drop in prices since the peak plus interest (bearing i mind that interest rates are low, now, but wont be for the duration of the 30 year loan - so interest could add a euro per euro spent, or more, on the original cost of the house).

Advertisement