Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bad driving, near misses, road rage? Give me your daily experiences

Options
  • 03-05-2009 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I posted my experiences from a few days ago...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60069928#post60069928

Driving home from the munster match( i don't want to talk about it), there was some terrible driving from people on the motorway. Every time it started raining people literally slammed on the brakes and were going from 130km per hr to 90 km ph. Feckin ridiculous, after portloaise though all the traffic was gone so i tore away on my own. Another annoying thing is the fact that people won't overtake buses and trucks doing 80, even when they move over to the side to let them pass on straight stretches of raod with no one coming for ages!! Had to overtake 4 cars and a bus at the same time cause none of them would overtake the bus and they were all bunched together. Could see clearly for 1.5km and no on coming traffic. I like to overtake if only to keep myself awake and aware. Following the same driver for hours would make me incredibly bored and sleepy. You need an adrenaline rush now and then to keep yourself at 100%.

So anyone else have any annoying experiences on the roads?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Another thing to add. Crazy mo-fo in a ford transit doing 150km on the 2/1 road coming into limerick on the dublin road. Going within 3 feet of cars etc in front of him until they pulled over to the side so he could pass even with on coming traffic! MENTAL!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Some people just WILL NOT overtake anything. Presume it's a confidence thing. But to me it's dangerous driving, as it ends up with people taking risks frustrated and stuck behind 3 or 4 slow coaches (usually in Almeras or the like I might add :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

mfitzy wrote: »
    Some people just WILL NOT overtake anything. Presume it's a confidence thing. But to me it's dangerous driving, as it ends up with people taking risks frustrated and stuck behind 3 or 4 slow coaches (usually in Almeras or the like I might add :D)

i hear you!! If im in that situation and none of the muppets will overtake what i do is pull over and let them off, i just get annoyed so dont bother anymore,

pipsqueak wrote: »
    i hear you!! If im in that situation and none of the muppets will overtake what i do is pull over and let them off, i just get annoyed so dont bother anymore,

Just give them a gentle nudge! That normally gets them going!! ;). I can't do what u just said there though. Once i start a journey i hate stopping before the end , i dunno why i just want to get wherever i need as quick as possible !! Haha an almera or a Yaris! I hate yaris drivers their always women that don't know how to accelerate or drive for that matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Hey everyone, The Inquisitor loves to have a good rant after a drive from Dublin. If you think it's convoluted here you should try listiening to it in person:rolleyes:

Today coming in the Dublin Road to Clare Street from the Parkway an old biddy (in a Lancer) went clear down the left lane for Pennywell and then continued straight instead of following the lane. I planted my thumb on the horn. I tell ya the look of horror on her face in the rearview mirror when I looked back. Why are old people oblivious to wing mirrors??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Did we not have a rant sticky before?? No, there isn't one there now before anyone feels the need to abandon everything they're doing and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Bumper sticker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

there was a thread on bad driving yesterday ,but it was closed because several people decided to attack me ,for my smart alic comments

so best leave that in the past,

but i have seen some scary things on the motorways with the sudden change of weather, and it doesnt just happen in rain,sleet,snow,wind, people do crazy things in sunny weather aswell,

i know a lorry driver who puts his naked feet out the window on a hot day, and keeps on trucken, at full speed,

i also nearly got killed in my younger days as a biker, came around a corner full boar on a 250 ,and what did i meet only a stag standing on my side of the road starring at me with no intention of moving , i can tell you now he is minus the right antler, but he kept my clutch lever, on that particular occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I have two particular favourite incidents both involving granny drivers.A petrol station in carlow has one of its exits leading you directly onto a roundabout. Rightr beside the petrol station exit there is an entrance/exit, to/from a housing estate that also leads straight onto the roundabout. Cue the granny driver who is leaving the housing estate but needs to get some juice before she goes to the shops. Instead of following the law and sanity and going round the roundabout she decides to immediately turn right and go the wrong way round!!!! She then thanks me for jamming on the brakes and letting her go by.
    Another day i was driving along minding my own business and in the line of traffic coming towards me i notice a car starting to vere out onto my side of the road. I started to slow down as soon as i saw this. This car kept coming towards me and at the very last second she looks up and sees me and swerves back in again. I pulled in to calm down and next thing a squad car pulls in and the Guard asks me if i am ok and after he realises i am he goes off to see if he could catch her. About two months later i'm at a checkpoint and the same guard is there and i ask him did he ever get her and he says yes. Her reason for nearly hitting me was that her dog had sh1t on the floor and she was trying to clean up the mess and she forgot she was driving.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Hey everyone, The Inquisitor loves to have a good rant after a drive from Dublin. If you think it's convoluted here you should try listiening to it in person:rolleyes:

Today coming in the Dublin Road to Clare Street from the Parkway an old biddy (in a Lancer) went clear down the left lane for Pennywell and then continued straight instead of following the lane. I planted my thumb on the horn. I tell ya the look of horror on her face in the rearview mirror when I looked back. Why are old people oblivious to wing mirrors??

Ninty9er i know where u live biatch! ;)

• Advertisement

super-rush wrote: »
    I have two particular favourite incidents both involving granny drivers.A petrol station in carlow has one of its exits leading you directly onto a roundabout. Rightr beside the petrol station exit there is an entrance/exit, to/from a housing estate that also leads straight onto the roundabout. Cue the granny driver who is leaving the housing estate but needs to get some juice before she goes to the shops. Instead of following the law and sanity and going round the roundabout she decides to immediately turn right and go the wrong way round!!!! She then thanks me for jamming on the brakes and letting her go by.
    Another day i was driving along minding my own business and in the line of traffic coming towards me i notice a car starting to vere out onto my side of the road. I started to slow down as soon as i saw this. This car kept coming towards me and at the very last second she looks up and sees me and swerves back in again. I pulled in to calm down and next thing a squad car pulls in and the Guard asks me if i am ok and after he realises i am he goes off to see if he could catch her. About two months later i'm at a checkpoint and the same guard is there and i ask him did he ever get her and he says yes. Her reason for nearly hitting me was that her dog had sh1t on the floor and she was trying to clean up the mess and she forgot she was driving.

Dammit don't women realise! Dogs are a MAN's best friend :p. Keep um coming people im sitting here giggling to myself imagining myself in ye're positions ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Dont know if it was a "Sunday drivers national day" today.

I was driving along Beslington rd heading towards Nass, bit twisty in parts

so took it handy but then in a good stretch some auld farmer lurtches

out in front of me, drives along almost in the ditch and is looking

in at every field of sheep along the way. WTF! In a world of he's own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

years ago when i was 16 me and my friend had 2 yamaha rxs100 bikes, coming home from the pub this friday night we spotted a car in the distance so we stopped and the other lad shouted "cops"

so ofcourse we went as hard as the bikes would go, in a back road bendy and twisty, i got to the end of it and no sign of the other lad ,

i was thinking to myself they got him, and he is going to squeel on me aswell,

so after 5 minutes i went back and on a turn i noticed a light down on the road, so i stopped only to find my friend stuck in a hedge sitting down and his bike lying on its side on the road,

he slid on the grass on the middle of the road and landed sitting down in the hedge and the bike ended up driving on into a pier before falling over, now remember he was doing about 20mph tops,

next thing this white jetta drives up the road, and a neighbor sticks out his head ,grand smell of beer off him too, and shouts at the other lad,

"when your finished doing your number 2 in the hedge would you give this other lad a race back into town for chips"

we all fell on the ground laughing ,such crack,

even the buck in the hedge was rolling around laughen about it

Advertisement