Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Symphony

Options
  • 03-05-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain why the RTE Symphony Orchestra hardly ever plays outside Dublin?

In contrast, in a typical year, the Ulster Orchestra plays provincial cities and towns in the Republic of Ireland more frequently!

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 clarsax

I would imagine it's down to money. I'm sure the cost of hotels/transport etc for so many musicians would be quite large ;) as far as i remember, they do 2 one week trips around the country each year and sometimes an educational outreach week also. Not sure who fund the Ulster orchestra, but RTE have a tight budget for the orchestras (probably get tighter now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

I agree up to a point. Money might be an issue. So far as I know though, both symphony orchestras have broadly similar funding models and the Ulster is certainly not awash with money. How cost prohibitive can it really be to get to venues outside Dublin and back in a single evening?

I think its shameful though, that a symphony orchestra from the UK plays provincial Ireland more often than the RTE Symphony.

I did ask this question of Seamus Crimmins, Director of RTE Performing Groups and got no answer at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

I believe there's a chicken-and-egg problem here. They went on tour recently with the Brahms #4, and I heard feedback that the concerts weren't well attended. They can go on tour with a Mozart piano concerto and a Beethoven symphony and people will come, but if they try anything modern or different, they play to empty halls.

Advertisement