Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting to Couples: Increase the rent or not?

Options
  • 03-05-2009 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm currently advertising a double room on daft to rent out in my house.
    On the ad, I said preferably no couples please, as I've been warned by a few people that sometimes living with couples could be messy in terms of hogging the couch, fighting etc... I really don't know how true that is though, especially as I've been living here with my bf for the past year and there's been none of that! :)

Anyway, I've had about 4 calls from people wondering if I'd take a couple, I told them that I wasn't 100% opposed to it or anything but the best thing to do would be to come along for a viewing and see how we get on.
    I was wondering what the situation is rent-wise when renting to a couple, I have the room advertised at say 600euro, do I ask the couple to pay say 650/700 as there'll be two of them instead of 1 person? Should I change the ad on daft to reflect a higher price for couples? Is it a done thing?

Another question, the property in question is a second house owned by my parents, any advice on how to handle leases, notice etc, as I will be living there, but I'm not technically the owner-occupier? Any sample leases out there for such a situation? If we do a short term lease, e.g. 3/6 months, how much notice is tenant required to give?

Sorry about all the questions, but I've never rented out a room here to anyone apart from friends, so not really in the know! Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It would be fair to increase the rent to couples since you are sharing common areas (bathrooms, living rooms, kitchen, FRIDGE) with more people. Once this is explained I doubt many people would have a problem with it. Also, all bills (tv, internet, esb) split 3 ways.

As far as notice, this seems like a sublet to me, at which point it's no longer covered under PRTB rules and is just "sufficient notice".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

Cheers, thanks a million for that, with regard to an increase, say if I'm looking for 600e for the room for 1 person, would 700 for a couple be to much/scabby or would 50 extra, i.e. 650 be more appropriate?
    And would it be best to change the ad on daft to add in the couple price or just leave it and tell them when any couple calls?
    Also anyone have any experience of renting to couples? Good points/Bad points etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From what I've seen, the double room went at 1.5 times the rent of the single room. Which works out at two people paying 75% the cost of the single room, so it's cheaper for them. As for people maybe having a problem with this: there's plenty of people out there who'll want the double bed.

Advertisement