Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies at jervis Street last night

Options
  • 03-05-2009 2:11pm

Was in town last evening about 6.15 6.30 ish, driving toward jervis center, saw big crowd, thought it was just people coming out because center was closing. But as we got closer we noticed, that there was a big junkie kick off going on. Booting and boxing the heads off one another, accompanied by their lovely ladies, we got their big spilt all over the car, I was saying to my fella, revese reverse, I thought our window was going to come in on top of us, we managed to get buy them, it was surreal though.
    These ****ers are geting way out of hand. Its a damn shame innocent people can get caught up in the middle of these scumbags.Im sick of these hollow faced corpes falling around town, mooching smokes and money and threatening to and I qoute, as this happened to me

'oil'll bleedin shiv ye, ye C^&% ye'

I hope with their weakened immune systems the flu gets them.
    I wish The Justice minister would spend a day in town with me, and see what the rest of us see, the total deterioration of our city due to these ****ers. I see them all the time, out of their nuts, on Governent paid for drugs, dragging their babies around in buggies. North Earl street is full of them. Dublin city is becoming Zombie town, and nobody in govement wants to address it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Jake1 wrote: »
    I wish The Justice minister would spend a day in town with me

Stuck in there son.:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The junkies I meet are generally very nice. Then again, I'm on the Southside. Our class of junkies is just that bit better.

phasers wrote: »
    The junkies I meet are generally very nice. Then again, I'm on the Southside. Our class of junkies is just that bit better.

LOL, oh but of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

phasers wrote: »

I forgot Thomas St/The Liberties is still considered a guest to the southside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Talbot Street seems to be thronged with junkies lately, I can't understand why. The only reason I can imagine is because there are so many side streets to escape through should the gardai appear.

The city though is awash with drugs and it is impossible for anyone not to see it. I dont envy the gardai in having to deal with these individuals and it is getting to the stage where the police and the army would need to jointly sweep the city to tackle them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Moved from AH.

Revenge shall be mine ;)

I'm tempted to lock the thread, but feck it, wouldn't that be running away from the truth?.

Yes, Dublin is awash with junkie filth. I wouldn't mind a discussion on it, but try keep it somewhat mature & level headed.

Revenge shall be mine ;)

I'm tempted to lock the thread, but feck it, wouldn't that be running away from the truth?.

Yes, Dublin is awash with junkie filth. I wouldn't mind a discussion on it, but try keep it somewhat mature & level headed.

why would you lock the thread?? confused? what exactly did I do wrong?
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There is a treatment centre on Amiens St, I pass it most days on my lunch.
    And it used to be my bus stop in the mornings though not anymore.

Footpath blocked most days as they stand around with their buggies argueing over something, there is always something!

I suppose this means I'm supposed to step off the footpath but meh, I push through or tell them to stop blocking the footpath. They always give way. One day I'll get a belt for doing it :(. But I don't see why I need to step off the footpath, I'm not trying to be awkward

And the odd day I eat lunch on my own up by the canal on Chareville Mall, nice and peaceful and a break from the office. Well that is until a gang of them make their way, drinking dutch gold and firing empty cans at the swans and ducks.
    So that's where my PAYE and income levy and yours too is going...

An innocent member of the public is going to be knifed in broad daylight in town someday, for simply not giving out smokes or money.

as for that Clinic in Amien Street what makes me sick is this is run by HSE, they see these children in buggies,hanging outside and around the clinic in the gaurdianship of someone stoned drunk or both, and do nothing about it.

Yet we need a license for a dog. Thats well policed. I would like to see Social workers doing round-ups of these people and moving them to a warehouse down the docks, and putting those poor kids with someone who wont drag them around town in all weathers and hang out with people heavily under some influence.
    theres a woman who always hangs around the boardwalk and temple bar square, always has a little boy with her. In the evening shes ratarsed with drink. I see her being taken off in a police van one day, the poor child was hysterical.
    See her back on streets with him days later.
    Same woman also defecates on the boardwalk.

• Advertisement

Jake1 wrote: »
    why would you lock the thread?? confused? what exactly did I do wrong?
    :confused:

Because these types of thread rarely work out for the good and a Mod will usually kick themselves that they didn't follow their initial instinct to close them!.

If an AH Mod didn't want it there it says alot!.

But lets see where it goes.

Interesting. Well Ive said how I feel about it all. So I'll leave it there too.
    Obviously people dont mind the way the city is going, and discussing it. fair enough.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I forgot Thomas St/The Liberties is still considered a guest to the southside.

:rolleyes: I prefer to say I live in the inner city anyway, not the southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

yeh i can't stand those junkies either, we need a serious clean-up operation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

EF wrote: »
    Talbot Street seems to be thronged with junkies lately, I can't understand why. The only reason I can imagine is because there are so many side streets to escape through should the gardai appear.

Theres a lot of hostels and methadone clinics near Talbot Street thats why most of them congregate around there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Legalise it and let as many as want to kill themselves go about it without any state interference. Over a third of all crimes are committed by these jokers out looking for their next fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Clinic on Marlborough Street I think. Add that to the clinic on Amiens St and it's no wonder that Talbot St is the center of their universe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

they should all be shot, simple as that.
    cleanse our streets

green123 wrote: »
    they should all be shot, simple as that.
    cleanse our streets

First warning, read the forums charter before posting here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

yeh i can't stand those junkies either, we need a serious clean-up operation!

What kind of a clean up operation do you propose?

You could send all the junkies in Dublin to a rehab facility but the problem with that is, they'd do their stint and come out onto the streets and the first thing they'd look for is another hit.

You can't help a junkie until a junkie wants help. I've seen it with my uncle. The amount of times we've paid for him to go to rehab, waited months for him to get a place. He'd come out, stay clean for a week, two weeks max and then get another hit and be the exact same way as before.

Another option is taking away their dole, but what good is that going to do, most junkies rob to feed their habit anyway, they'll just be doing it on a bigger level to get the money they need.

Unless there is something substantial done (and I have no idea what...) there will always be junkies on the streets of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Just a thought - would it not make sense to relocate these treatment centres from Marlborough St/Amiens St to someplace down close to Dublin Port?

I think this would be a better alternative than having them in the central business district near shops/offices etc locate them in a primarily industrial area.
    At the very worst this would mean that at least some of their anti-social behaviour would be transferred into an area where it would affect a lot less people.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its crazy tho that in this day and age the Gardai aren't all that bothered with them anymore unless they kick off.

The majority of the time you see a junkie as high as a kite you know they would still have drugs on them. The gardai don't bother searching them anymore because they only get a slap on the wrist from judges because the are "Addicts".

Do we have any sort of large state facility to try and "help" theses "addicts" like they do in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭InTranceWeTrust

First I would just like to say that it is important to remember that not all heroin addicts are bad people. Yes a lot of them are scum, but like everything there are a few decent ones there as well.

Dublin has a HUGE heroin problem, much more so than in any other European city I've been to. Heroin was by far the easiest drug to find that I ever bought (tried it a few times - not an addict), and it is a bit unnerving to know that there are people selling it openly on the street (in my experience this doesn't happen with other drugs).

What can be done about it? I'm not going to derail this thread because obviously there is not clear solution. Previous tactics have not worked, I believe legislation, regulation and rigorous education have a real chance of success. But like I said, discussing the various options will only lead to the thread being closed so perhaps best to leave it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

First I would just like to say that it is important to remember that not all heroin addicts are bad people. Yes a lot of them are scum, but like everything there are a few decent ones there as well.

Think of that if your car ever has a smash and grab done on it or your house is burgled. Decent junkies :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Collie D wrote: »
    Think of that if your car ever has a smash and grab done on it or your house is burgled. Decent junkies :rolleyes:

Yes - i meet them everyday- though I refrain from the charming term 'junkie', bleeding heart liberal that I am.

Note to self.... stop opening these threads, its not good for your health!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I believe legislation, regulation and rigorous education have a real chance of success. But like I said, discussing the various options will only lead to the thread being closed so perhaps best to leave it here.

There's more then enough legislation in place, the problem is the will to enforce the law. Drugs are sold very openly on many street corners around dublin city center. The prison system doesn't have the capacity to handle to problem thus they are generally given a pass if they're non-violent.

Also, all Junkies are dangerous, only some are through and through scum but every one of them has the potential to become violent when looking to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

bla bla bla

Junkies are scum.

Police are as well, they won't do anything, to rid this smell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Legalise it and let as many as want to kill themselves go about it without any state interference. Over a third of all crimes are committed by these jokers out looking for their next fix.

I'm confused, how would legalising it lead to a reduction in these crimes?

Legal heroin costs money too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

The_Coon wrote: »
    I'm confused, how would legalising it lead to a reduction in these crimes?

Legal heroin costs money too.

Not a fraction of what it cost on the black market tbh

http://transform-drugs.blogspot.com/2007/02/has-heroin-prescribing-debate-reached.html

"On the cash front, one of the hurdles to more heroin prescribing (and the preference for methadone) is that it is widely seen as prohibitively expensive. The figure of £12,000 a year is the one usually quoted, and is roughly correct at today's UK prices, although it will vary from client to client. The Daily Mail covering the Ken Jones story today has somehow turned this into £15,000 a year in the print edition, but then uses the £12,000 figure in its online coverage. Indeed the print edition is full of all manner of classic Daily Mail drug-stat silliness, calculating, for example, that 'making heroin available free to all the country's 200,000 addicts would cost £3 billion.' In the online version the number of addicts is up to 320,000, which is the Home office estimate and probably more realistic. The online coverage also despatches with daft quotes from Mail regular Mary Brett, and the self styled academic face of harm-maximisation Prof McGegany. Either way they really don't like the idea of spending money on 'junkies' - apparently oblivious of the far greater cost to every one of leaving them in hands of the illegal market (£16 billion a year in crime costs) or putting them in prison (35K a year each)."

"Furthermore the cost of diamorphine in the UK is artificially inflated by a huge margin due to the monopoly control of the UK opiates market by Macfarland Smith ltd, investigated as far back as 1989 by the Monopolies and Mergers Commission. This monopoly over-pricing recently led to an investigation by the Office of Fair Trading and then a rather lame report from the DTI which concluded that there was a problem, that they would keep an eye on, but not much else. The upshot of this rarely mentioned scandal is that diamorphine is a whopping six times as expensive in the UK as it is in Holland. Yes, that's a 600% difference - for the exact same pharmaceutical product."

So it can be had very cheap. Certainly cheap enough to stop the multi million pound crime wave it currently causes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Okay so the justice system doesn't work but what is stopping the Gardai from moving these people along. A while ago I saw a junkie flat out in the doorway of Game (the street with gamesworkshop and the foodcourt, can't remember the name!)

It seems like the gards have left us to fend for ourselves! :rolleyes:

Its definitly on the increase and they are getting more and more aggressive. saw two junkies shooting up in the park in Ranelagh!

As for dealing in broad daylight, seriously the Gardai can't do anything about that? yeah right!! an increased presence is needed first of all.
    Oh and gards that givea damn that junkies are intimidating people.
    Also a government who spends time in an area other than sunny D2.

Advertisement