Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asbestos Insulation Query

Options
  • 03-05-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

My husband has been busy removing some plasterboards up in the attic from the ceiling and I was concerned about what he is calling 'fiberglass'. Our house was built in 1980 and I am wondering could some of the insulation that he is disturbing contain asbestos? Would it have been a commonly used material? How can if it is just normal fiberglass or asbestos? The people that lived here before us did an attic conversion but it wasn't with a permit, so I am not sure would any of the insulation have been replaced - nor do I know at what stage that was (i.e post 1985 when asbestos was banned).

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Fibreglass is glass fibres bonded together and comes in a roll, which is spread between the rafters in the attic. Asbestos comes in a solid board, like plasterboard and is often found in old houses on boiler house doors and the door from the house to the garage etc. It is there as a fire barrier, not insulation.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 capcap

thanks Jim going to get a pro to come out and remove it don't want to be messing about with fibres with a kid in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Fibreglass is relatively safe - although it can give you quite an itch, if it gets on your skin. It is found in very many attics and is still used for attic insulation.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

let him at it. get a protective suit in any suppliers for 5 euro and a few dust masks and safety goggles.

it is harmless enough but irritates your skin when lots of contact is made.

wash off with cool water in the shower and your good as new again.

Advertisement