Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Sixes What Do You Think Of It?

• 03-05-2009 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

Just want to get everyones thoughts on it:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

It's far too similar to regular snooker.

They need to intoduce some changes and give it a niche.

It's pointless otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Jimbo wrote: »
    It's far too similar to regular snooker.

They need to intoduce some changes and give it a niche.

It's pointless otherwise.

I'd like them to experiment with a couple of rule changes, specifically 2 rules from 9-ball pool which if they worked in Sixes could then be incorporated into the 15ball game.

1). Ball-in-hand after every foul. You can place the white ball anywhere after a foul, instead of the current situation where you have to play it from the 'D' (after an in-off) or where it lies (every other foul). This would eliminate the current situation where players seem content to have a few practise goes at getting out of snookers, knowing it'll only cost them 8 points.

2) The must-hit-cushion rule. This would elimate the 'roll up behind a baulk colour' shot, which I find one of the most annoying shots.

They could even maybe experiment with allowing the Pool Jump shot, think of the excitement this would create, a good jump shot would bring the house down.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

has anyone got a link to the super 6 actual rules i missed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I think the game of snooker should be left well alone,Super Sixes should be kept for practice or for juniors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Stupid imo, snooker and pool are similar enough, no need for this at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Tea Spoon

Tony Knowles certainly showed that 14 year old no mercy anyway. Not that you would expect him to but I got the impression he wasn't taking it seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

it certainly looked that way,plenty of banther going on behind the youngster,Knowles showed some of the old flair mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

I'd like them to experiment with a couple of rule changes, specifically 2 rules from 9-ball pool which if they worked in Sixes could then be incorporated into the 15ball game.

1). Ball-in-hand after every foul. You can place the white ball anywhere after a foul, instead of the current situation where you have to play it from the 'D' (after an in-off) or where it lies (every other foul). This would eliminate the current situation where players seem content to have a few practise goes at getting out of snookers, knowing it'll only cost them 8 points.

2) The must-hit-cushion rule. This would elimate the 'roll up behind a baulk colour' shot, which I find one of the most annoying shots.

They could even maybe experiment with allowing the Pool Jump shot, think of the excitement this would create, a good jump shot would bring the house down.

That's the most ludicrous set of ideas I have ever heard.

1) Are you for real?! Players don't just have "practice goes" at getting out of a snooker! The miss rule is there for just this reason.

2) Why is it annoying? It's tactical. Don't tell me you are on those viewers who changes channels when you see more than 2 safety shots being played in a row.

As for the jump shot - This was originally a legal shot, but was outlawed sometime in the 50's by the games governing body. I can tell you the pro's would NOT be in favour of it being allowed again.

Consider the skill it takes to lay a good snooker with only pink and black remaining on the table, and then your opponent gets out of it by playing a shot you could teach to a 5 year old?

Personally, I would rather not see the balls flying all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Are you ears burning, Armanijeanss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

irishthump wrote: »
    That's the most ludicrous set of ideas I have ever heard.

1) Are you for real?! Players don't just have "practice goes" at getting out of a snooker!

I think its self evident that for the first couple of attempts to get out of a difficult snooker that player are more concerned with leaving a safe white and getting an idea of the correct line rather than necessarily hitting the object ball.
    You can disagree and call it ludicrous, but its worth pointing out that the biggest proponent of this rule change (ball-in-hand after every foul) is a certain Steve Davis, who mentioned it at least 4 times during the recent World Championships as a rule change he'd like to see experimented with in Super6s.
    2) Why is it annoying? It's tactical.
    I understand its tactical, I just think rolling behind a baulk colour is the tactical equivalent of 'passing the ball back to the keeper who picks it up' in soccer, and soccer was brave enough to get rid of that tactic. As a rule change it wouldn't stop a safety/snooker, you would just have to be clever enough to, say, screw from the green behind the brown.

And no I'm definitely not a channel-changer after 2 safety shots. My favourite players would be Selby and Ebdon, and the most engrossing game I've seen in the last 10 years was the Ebdon/Dott final which most fans hated, but I thought brilliant.
    As for the jump shot - This was originally a legal shot, but was outlawed sometime in the 50's by the games governing body. I can tell you the pro's would NOT be in favour of it being allowed again.

I don't speak for the pro's but I've seen the jump shot executed by O'Sullivan (poorly) and Drago (excellently) in 9-Ball. (And I've fairly sure I've seen Ding Junhui execute a quarter jump over the edge of a ball on a snooker table, the cheating fcuk !!)

I see your point about the pink/black scenario, though surely 90% of the time when you play that particular snooker you are going to putting the white as tight as possible behind the black, making the jump impossible anyway?
    Are you ears burning, Armanijeanss?
    This is a bit out of order - I've no problem with DonegalFellas post, I don't think he was directing it at me, and in truth I agree with quite a lot of it.

I just don't see why some of these ideas (or other ideas, I don't have a monopoly) shouldn't be tried in Super6s to see what the audience/player feedback is - sports like cricket/soccer/tennis/rugby aren't afraid to experiment with the rules, and these sports are in far better health than snooker.

You can disagree and call it ludicrous, but its worth pointing out that the biggest proponent of this rule change (ball-in-hand after every foul) is a certain Steve Davis, who mentioned it at least 4 times during the recent World Championships as a rule change he'd like to see experimented with in Super6s.

Yes, I heard SD comment on this. I appreciate it might work for Super6s, but then the whole concept of that game is to make it faster and "more attractive" to younger players. Which in itself is pointless, IMHO as you can see there are plenty younger players who are more than willing to play with 15 reds!
    I understand its tactical, I just think rolling behind a baulk colour is the tactical equivalent of 'passing the ball back to the keeper who picks it up' in soccer, and soccer was brave enough to get rid of that tactic. As a rule change it wouldn't stop a safety/snooker, you would just have to be clever enough to, say, screw from the green behind the brown.

Then I really down see your arguement here, TBH! The cushion rule was brought into American pool to speed up play and prevent players from rolling up behind balls, so if you're not against tactical play why bother bringing it in at all?

I don't speak for the pro's but I've seen the jump shot executed by O'Sullivan (poorly) and Drago (excellently) in 9-Ball. (And I've fairly sure I've seen Ding Junhui execute a quarter jump over the edge of a ball on a snooker table, the cheating fcuk !!)

It's a legal shot in pool, and the rule in snooker is that you must not jump over
    an intervening ball to escape a snooker.
    I see your point about the pink/black scenario, though surely 90% of the time when you play that particular snooker you are going to putting the white as tight as possible behind the black, making the jump impossible anyway?

Not true at all. The majority of snookers layed in this situation would not have the white tight to the black. This type of snooker is usually the result of a free ball.
    This is a bit out of order - I've no problem with DonegalFellas post, I don't think he was directing it at me, and in truth I agree with quite a lot of it.

I'm sorry to cause offence, but you advocate introducing rules that are contrived to essentially limit the amount of safety play.... what other conclusion could I come to?!!

I just don't see why some of these ideas (or other ideas, I don't have a monopoly) shouldn't be tried in Super6s to see what the audience/player feedback is - sports like cricket/soccer/tennis/rugby aren't afraid to experiment with the rules, and these sports are in far better health than snooker.[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Advertisement