Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden flooring semi solid

Options
  • 03-05-2009 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I am looking for somewhere that does a good deal on semi solid wooded floors , preferably that also deliver to Tipperary.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Are you sure you want semi solid? There are pros and cons with solid/semi solid and laminate. But if you want something that will last, try Phloor Laminate.

We went for Kaindl One range (its 11.5mm thick and has V groove which makes it look like solid timber). The finish is identical to solid wood, no way of telling its laminate. And it will last alot longer than semi solid or solid (as in it wont mark or get damaged as easily). I know someone who put down semi solid 6 months ago and its heavily marked already, very noticeable. And it cost 1.5 times as much as Phloor laminate.

I got 37 square yards of Kaindl One Oiled Oak for €540 including underlay. But I bought it in Wexford Builders Providers and I doubt they will deliver to you. But ask around for stockists or contact them from the above website.

When buying laminate, look out for:
    1) thickness - 10mm thick is good and ok for high traffic floor like dining/sitting room, 8mm thick wont be as strong, maybe ok for bedroom.
    2)groove - thats where each piece of laminate joins - it forms a v-groove to imitate where timber joins - looks better.
    3)finish - does it look like real wood - all Phloor stuff does imo.
    4)price - worth paying a little extra for good flooring. Phloor was more expensive than any other laminate we priced but there are many good reasons for this.

Dont get me wrong, there are some beautiful semi solid and solid flooring out there, and it may suit you to go for semi solid and it may last you a long time. From a practicality view, good quality laminate should do the same job, without wear and tear.

But thats just my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Loobz wrote: »
    Are you sure you want semi solid? There are pros and cons with solid/semi solid and laminate. But if you want something that will last, try Phloor Laminate.

We went for Kaindl One range (its 11.5mm thick and has V groove which makes it look like solid timber). The finish is identical to solid wood, no way of telling its laminate. And it will last alot longer than semi solid or solid (as in it wont mark or get damaged as easily). I know someone who put down semi solid 6 months ago and its heavily marked already, very noticeable. And it cost 1.5 times as much as Phloor laminate.

I got 37 square yards of Kaindl One Oiled Oak for €540 including underlay. But I bought it in Wexford Builders Providers and I doubt they will deliver to you. But ask around for stockists or contact them from the above website.

When buying laminate, look out for:
    1) thickness - 10mm thick is good and ok for high traffic floor like dining/sitting room, 8mm thick wont be as strong, maybe ok for bedroom.
    2)groove - thats where each piece of laminate joins - it forms a v-groove to imitate where timber joins - looks better.
    3)finish - does it look like real wood - all Phloor stuff does imo.
    4)price - worth paying a little extra for good flooring. Phloor was more expensive than any other laminate we priced but there are many good reasons for this.

Dont get me wrong, there are some beautiful semi solid and solid flooring out there, and it may suit you to go for semi solid and it may last you a long time. From a practicality view, good quality laminate should do the same job, without wear and tear.

But thats just my opinion...

Wow thank you for taking the time to reply , i will definitely follow your advice as i really don't have a clue about this, with two kids and a dog i guess it would be more practicable to go for the 10mm , just looked at the website and have to say the floors look really good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Cheers for that Loobz, exactly what I'm lookin' for ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

BrendanD wrote: »
    I am looking for somewhere that does a good deal on semi solid wooded floors , preferably that also deliver to Tipperary.
    Thanks

If you wanted to research going North, http://www.floors2go.co.uk/ in Newry or Derry would be a consideration. Obviously, delivery to Tipperary is out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

i was just browsing and specifially logged in to say thanks to Loobz
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi all, its no problem. To be honest I spent alot of time and effort sorting out flooring for the house so I thought Id share my experiences. Went for cheaper laminate (8mm thick, no v groove) for 2 bedroooms and slightly more expensive (8mm thick with v groove and nice timber effect) laminate for the other two bedrooms. Not made by Phloor but did the job.

The Phloor stuff is still sitting in boxes waiting to go down in front of stove (with couches) and through to dining room out to patio area. So the floor will get high traffic and hardship.

Trust me, semi-solid and solid timber looks nice but will not take any hardship (high heels). Should only put timber in a room you only use less frequently (so why pay 30, 40....100 euro a square yard??)

All the best

Hey,

Just to let you know I put down the 'Phloor'. Its exactly what we were lookin for. Looks like it will last a long time. Hasnt cracked, stained, warped or anything yet. Its down now about 7 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Try Iwins in Castleblayney, they're known to have some of the keenest prices. Just ring them and look for a price and see if you can get it anywhere cheaper. That's what I did on solid wood flooring and I couldn't get it any cheaper and I tried lots of places.

Only snag is you'll have to go and collect the flooring as they don't deliver.

I've no connection with Irwins apart from beind a past customer.

Advertisement