Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Barcelona 2nd leg (first leg 0-0 )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Liam O wrote: »
    1 game! In case you forgot they beat Real Madrid 6-2 at the weekend, hardly rubbish.
    No but their opposition was rubbish in Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Chong wrote: »
    Am did you watch the same match no? They were rubbish and scraped through.

and maybe they'll be as impotent again if United put 11 men behind the ball. But i doubt they will. They aren't that kind of team, and in a one-off match it's less effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Trotter wrote: »
    Compare it to the rugby.. captains the only ones who speak to the refs, and its a far more physical game. Stick Drogba into an Ireland rugby training session and see how he cries.

Sickening and sad for sport in general.

How many refs in Rubgy make so many appallingly bad decisions in matches. (and how many different refs at the top level of rugby consistantly put in bad shifts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

barca should have had a peno in the first leg. I understand why chelsea feel hard done by. But i've seen far worse injustices in football, and to be honest they deserve any bad luck after that reaction.

feat4c.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,005 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

As much as we'd sometimes like it, football is not all about attacking, Barca cannot defend and United will show that more so in the Final, Chelsea's 1st leg performance was a defensive masterpiece,

Barca were poor over the 2 legs, one shot tonight? what use is possession, one-two's, one touch football if you can't score? 140 odd goals this season, and they get lucky against Chelsea, doesn't say much about La Liga.

I like many others are not impressed by some of the Chelsea players reactions, but how would you feel? do you just accept bad referee decisions like that? and i include the sending off, Chelsea were done by him more tonight.

Video Technology in some form or another, is needed the world bodies neexd to get this in, if not even for "live" decisons like penalties, but at least have video appeals be allowed for the likes of Fletcher and Abidal.
    Are you forgetting the first leg, the penalty decision that was not given in the game. If Barca had a lead going into this game then there was no way Chelsea had any hope as Barca are the best counter attacking team on the planet.
    All the ifs and buts don't wash now. The best team got through to the final and I disagree that United will walk all over them. United use a lot of players when they press forward and thats very risky against Barca.

It should be a great final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Don't really mind what kind of punishment Ballack or Drogba get, theyll be long gone from here by the time the CL starts up again next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

The real winners here are the utd fans

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

it doesn't matter. Disgrace and deserving of a ban

but it is. and it's characteristic of the whole chelsea team, and their "everyone's against us" attitude. The last 4 or 5 years have been a long journey of ganging up on refs, simulating fouls and putting on an innocent face afterwards. The end of the match was the journey's glorious climax. A yellow for Drogba is not nearly enough

Yeah, Ballack probably should get a ban, but I can still understand his frustration.

I still say it is uncharacteristic. Ballack is a sporting player on the whole.

Drogba on the other hand is a complete scumbag (great footballer, but a complete cheating wnker!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I call your rubbish sending off, and raise you two clearcut penalties for handball and two more potential penalties for fouls in the box.

Only the Pique handball was a penalty imo, not the one at the end, or the two fouls, so it even itself out.

Is shots on target the only thing that decides what a good performance was?

Barcelona dominated possession and if Chelsea didn't play with so much men behind the ball, they'd have had more chances.

Do any of ye remember probably the best chance over both legs was Bojan's one in the 1st leg.Harder to miss than score, or at least force a save.

Granted, Barcelona weren't good tonight but to stay they were terrible is a bit far.How terrible were Chelsea then that they could only score one goal against a 10 men team?How terrible were they that they couldn't win the ball, or hold possession?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

people writing off Barcelona.... unbelievable.

146 or 149 goals in all competitions. I doubt United will put in as defensive as Chelsea have done in both legs, and United did in the semi's last year. In a one off game i don't think you can be as defensive as that to be honest, or at least you can't set it out that way.

Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Eto'o, Henry - everyone of them capable of moments of magic to win any game. It will be a very tough game and Barcelona are certainly capable of beating United.

I do think they were poor against Chelsea - loads of possession but no penetration, like Arsenal, but I don't think anyone should look at just these games and decide Barcelona aren't up to United's standards - even the suggestion is ludicrous.

I'm very nervous already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Chong wrote: »
    No but their opposition was rubbish in Madrid.

when Liverpool beat them they were immediately lauded as the best team in England/Europe, so why not Barca?

WHAT THE FÚCK?

The amount of people saying Barca were rubbish......? They controlled possession which was proven up until the sending off. They passed the ball with class apart from when that bird brain Alves had the ball. Please god Rafa dont sign that joker, please please please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Nice of Drogba to remind us all why we hate him.
    I'm glad Barca have progressed. The ref made some howlers, not least sending off Abidal. Two absolute cracking strikes for the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are you forgetting the first leg, the penalty decision that was not given in the game.

Only the one penalty decision though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

feat4c.gif

Chelsea should have had one, possibly two penalties tonight. (in my opinion)
    Barcelona should not have had a man sent off, and should have had a peno in the first leg.

I should have stated in my previous post that i really don't feel Chelsea were that hard done by

selpher wrote: »
    Don't really mind what kind of punishment Ballack or Drogba get, theyll be long gone from here by the time the CL starts up again next season.
    Drogba is defo screwed.

Id like to applaud Guus, most composed man on the pitch , a gentleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

how did the fa know how to schedule the third place playoff this sunday??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Barr wrote: »

I'm a winner too, I've someone to cheer on in the final without needing to shower afterwards...:P

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I call your rubbish sending off, and raise you two clearcut penalties for handball and two more potential penalties for fouls in the box.

rubbish, one penalty, one not and two clear cut dives from the dive masters.

Barr wrote: »

We beat Chelsea 3-0 this season, albeit without Essien on their team. We were lucky to get past Barca last season. I would've preferred Chelsea

• Advertisement

WHAT THE FÚCK?

The amount of people saying Barca were rubbish......? They controlled possession which was proven up until the sending off. They passed the ball with class apart from when that bird brain Alves had the ball. Please god Rafa dont sign that joker, please please please.

They had so much possesion because Chelsea didnt want it. They had it for 180 mins and piss potted about with it, gettign no where. I'd happily sit and watch a team do that all day if I was playign against them.

staker wrote: »
    how did the fa know how to schedule the third place playoff this sunday??:confused:
    Love it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I am SOOOOOOOO happy right now!

That is all:cool:

I'm a winner too, I've someone to cheer on in the final without needing to shower afterwards...:P
    United there TRO ? :) hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

titan18 wrote: »
    Only the Pique handball was a penalty imo, not the one at the end, or the two fouls, so it even itself out.

Is shots on target the only thing that decides what a good performance was?

Barcelona dominated possession and if Chelsea didn't play with so much men behind the ball, they'd have had more chances.

Do any of ye remember probably the best chance over both legs was Bojan's one in the 1st leg.Harder to miss than score, or at least force a save.

Granted, Barcelona weren't good tonight but to stay they were terrible is a bit far.How terrible were Chelsea then that they could only score one goal against a 10 men team?How terrible were they that they couldn't win the ball, or hold possession?

I didn't bother reading the rest of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

You'd wonder why the standard of refs is so bad. The ref for the United game didn't cover himself in glory last night and tonight....well awful is a good word.

Chelsea should have gone for the second. No matter how poor a team is they always get at least one chance. Barca got one and took it.

The final should be great to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

As much as I dislike Drogbra, he did sum it up pretty much there at the end.

WTF is a Norweigan Referee doing officiating at this level anywho?

If Barca play like that against United they will get destroyed.

I don't expect Barca to play like that though, here is to the dream final!

Stekelly wrote: »
    They had so much possesion because Chelsea didnt want it. They had it for 180 mins and piss potted about with it, gettign no where. I'd happily sit and watch a team do that all day if I was playign against them.

Did it pay off in the end Mr Kelly? It sure did.

Looking forward to this final now. Just wondering which colours barca will be in.... I don't like the yellow jersey :p
    Boggles wrote: »

That's a bit racist father :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I truly can't believe some people at times. How can you automatically write off Barca? Ok, so they scraped through and didn't play particularly well, but have you ever seen them play apart from these two matches?

Fletcher goes from being a loss to a massive loss. He would have been absolutely crucial against Barca. If we try to outplay Barca in a 'we're going to score more than you' way, we will lose. To beat Barca you have to first of all stop them, and Fletch would have been perfect at breaking up their moves at the source.

Exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Fletcher will be a huge miss for United.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

did you go off for a read of the rules instead so you can make sense in future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

aaaaaargh. Messi vs Ronaldo - ALREADY MENTIONED. GOD DAMN IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

WHAT THE FÚCK?

Alves is class, he just had a stinker. God if we judged Cristiano Ronaldo on certain games, we could say similar, but we all know he is class. People need to watch more Spanish football before commenting on a Barca side who will probably be favourites going into this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

DSB wrote: »
    Ignoring the sending off that never should have been and changed the flow of the game then, yeah?

One game. If we were to watch Saturday against Real instead, on that basis, we'd be saying Man United didn't have a hope. This final is gonna be a classic.

WHAT??? The sending off hardly 'changed the flow of the game'.

The refereeing was appaling in both legs. It is about time something was done about the shocking refereeing. So often we see people defending refs. If a manager does a bad job, he is sacked. If a player does a bad job, he is dropped. If a ref does a bad job, he should have to answer to someone also. Also, refs seem to be so arrogant. It's like their decision is absolutely divine and there seems to be no respect between players and refs. I know refs need to be strict, but they also need to be fair and respectful. The terrible refereeing is just as big a problem as the 'disrespect for referees'. Maybe, if the referees were half-competent, and we had some sort of video technology, then we wouldn't have situations like tonight.

carlop wrote: »
    I truly can't believe some people at times. How can you automatically write off Barca? .

They have consistently looked average against the top English sides. No reason to think that will change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Here's a reminder for everyone:

I don't care what the individual players may or may not have done, if you post mindless abuse of any of them you will be infracted at a minimum.

Please re-read the forum charter if you need to remind yourself of the rules.

Alves out of final. Good news for Barca :pac:

His nationality has absolutely nothing to do with it, its not like football in Norway is easier to officiate or something because the standard of football isn't as good as the Premiership. He has had a bad game, but he might normally be a good ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

PHB wrote: »
    and Essien's goal was special, but to be honest, I'd almost rather see an offensive football final.

lol...utd will do exactly what they did to Barca last year and (what chelsea did over these two legs) and stick 10 men behind the ball and hope for the counter attack...the final will not be an open game...

Alves is class, he just had a stinker. God if we judged Cristiano Ronaldo on certain games, we could say similar, but we all know he is class. People need to watch more Spanish football before commenting on a Barca side who will probably be favourites going into this game.

Well I could be wrong of course but he has been shíte from what I have seen from these two games & the few Barca games I've seen on the telly this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

The real final is on Sunday:pac:

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    WHAT??? The sending off hardly 'changed the flow of the game'.

Chelsea were much more in control after the sending off. Anytime Barca threw men forward they had to leave a gap at the back which meant Chelsea could have got a 2nd, and probably was a factor in Chelsea getting those 2 penalty opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

So Barcelona didn't have much in the way of shots on target. Not too far from the amount Chelsea had in Spain though was it.

Thank god Barcelona got through. Last thing i wanted to see was United v Chelsea all over again. 2-1 to United in the final is my prediction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Did it pay off in the end Mr Kelly? It sure did.

Only because Chelsea allowed it to, for all their poncing around in midfield with 60-70% of possession over 2 legs Chelsea were the one with all the better chances, not to mention 4 penalty shouts turned down in one match. United will not be as forgiving.

Well I could be wrong of course but he has been shíte from what I have seen from these two games & the few Barca games I've seen on the telly this year.

Well I watch Barca every week and I can tell you he is absolutely top notch, better than any player in his position that plays in the Premiership. Just wasn't at the races tonight, the booking seemed to affect his mindset, clearly isn't a Keano against Juve. Didn't think he was too bad in the Nou Camp though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

copacetic wrote: »
    rubbish, one penalty, one not and two clear cut dives from the dive masters.

Agreed.... Droggers getting his just deserves..now only if it happens to Ronaldo i'll be happy..

in fairness the pique one i thought was a penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

His nationality has absolutely nothing to do with it, its not like football in Norway is easier to officiate or something because the standard of football isn't as good as the Premiership. He has had a bad game, but he might normally be a good ref.

His nationality has nothing to with it, the level he plys his trade at in the Norweigan league has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Chelsea had only 1 stone wall penalty claim go against them and can feel a little upset by that but they lost tonight because they didnt take the game to Barca, especially when they went down to 10 men(was never a red imo). With Barca only needing 1 goal to go through Chelsea should have been going all out for the 2nd to put the game beyond them.

The 2 goals were outstanding!

The behaviour of Drogba, Ballack and the other chelsea players was anything but. I hope that Uefa, and suspect that they will, come down like a tonne of bricks on them. They should be ashamed of themselves. They were disgraceful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement