Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Barcelona 2nd leg (first leg 0-0 )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Utd will find it far easier to beat Barca than Chelsea , think Utd will hockey them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's funny how I was reading from everyone else how Barca would hammer United in the final and now it's a walkover for United? how short are some people's memories?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

mada999 wrote: »
    lol...utd will do exactly what they did to Barca last year and (what chelsea did over these two legs) and stick 10 men behind the ball and hope for the counter attack...the final will not be an open game...

I think United's defensive approach in Europe is kinda restricted to two legged ties. In the final, we went full attack. Fergie thinks you need to be defensive in away legs, but in just a winner takes all, and with Barca's defensive frailties, I suspect Fergie will take a swing at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

IMO Football was the real winner tonight.

Barca are a pleasure to watch, no hoofing and diving like Chelsea!

Roll on Rome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Grrrr.... Dropba angry!
    14ui442.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,005 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't remember anybody saying Barca would hammer United, and I don't see many people saying the opposite either.

It should be a great game and the two best teams in Europe are in it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Boggles wrote: »
    His nationality has nothing to with it, the level he plys his trade at in the Norweigan league has.

I don't see how, its not as if the Premiership, Serie A and La Liga sign up all the best international referees to play in their league, referees normally officiate in their home nation. If he is a good ref he is a good ref regardless of whether he refs in Norway, England, Spain or the Faroe Islands. He definitely wasn't a good ref tonight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Barr wrote: »
    Utd will find it far easier to beat Barca than Chelsea , think Utd will hockey them

I think the opposite to be honest. I think the Chelsea set up is better for United to counter than Barcelona's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

why? United have hockied very few teams this season.

probably cos every team in the premier league have great defences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wow, Hiddink is running a fine line between saying that it may have been somewhat rigged.

Chelsea should be thrown out of Europe for next season. However UEFA will most likely go after Roman's millions.

Barca will probably find United an easier proposition too to be honest, United won't play as negative as Chelsea, even if they aren't throwing men forward in search of a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Guus on Sky , every word he has is spot on.

At the end of the day Chelsea were robbed.

I say this as a United fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

wonder if its gonna be like this for the next three weeks!! :pac:

Liam O wrote: »
    It's funny how I was reading from everyone else how Barca would hammer United in the final and now it's a walkover for United? how short are some people's memories?

links?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't know I think it's a case of stopping Barca before beating them as I think they're just too good. Let Iniesta and Xavi play and they'll beat any team imo and I just can't see the United team stopping them or keeping hold of possession for long enough. Fletcher could have made the difference but without him they're relying on Anderson, and then you're looking at Park and Tevez.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Moment of magic for UTD to beat Barca - Tactical genius

Moment of magic for Barca to beat Chelsea - Luck

LOL at people saying Barca were crap, if they were crap, how come Chelsea didn't destroy them? Barca controlled both games without threatening (much), Chelsea countered. It was tight, Barca were hardly crap, just lacked penetration against a 10 man defence.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

DSB wrote: »
    Barca will probably find United an easier proposition too to be honest, United won't play as negative as Chelsea, even if they aren't throwing men forward in search of a goal.

:rolleyes:

PHB wrote: »
    Wow, Hiddink is running a fine line between saying that it may have been somewhat rigged.
    Alot ppl aswell could see that aswell, for Pique's blatant handball , thats stone wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

DSB wrote: »
    I don't see how, its not as if the Premiership, Serie A and La Liga sign up all the best international referees to play in their league, referees normally officiate in their home nation. If he is a good ref he is a good ref regardless of whether he refs in Norway, England, Spain or the Faroe Islands. He definitely wasn't a good ref tonight though.

Refs like players can be influenced by occasion and pressure, you can't tell me you have the same level of intensity in Norway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Can't beleive they're even bringing up the UEFA didn't want two English teams in final and screwed Chelsea thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

I think United's defensive approach in Europe is kinda restricted to two legged ties. In the final, we went full attack. Fergie thinks you need to be defensive in away legs, but in just a winner takes all, and with Barca's defensive frailties, I suspect Fergie will take a swing at it.

maybe, but i don't think he will..i suppose we will have to wait and see...it's a shame both teams do not have their full team to pick from for the final...

i will say Fletcher will be a loss to utd if they are going to play the defensive game...thought he had a fine game against arsenal... i personally would play park in the final also to hurry Barca as Barca's midfield need so much time on the ball...

tbh... i can see utd winning 2-0 in the final.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Chong wrote: »
    Alot ppl aswell could see that aswell, for Pique's blatant handball , thats stone wall.

Abidal shouldn't have been sent off . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Linesman didn't give it either and it was so blatant and the ball was moving so slowly. Cahoots I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Delighted with the result. Uefa need to throw the book at Chelsea and ban them from Europe next season. The scenes at the final whistle where an absolute disgrace on the game. Prediction for the final. Barca 3 Utd 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Over the moon at this result, not only because a Utd Chelsea would have made the bile rise up my throat but, I really can't stand teams that pack men behind the ball like chelsea did tonight. On one tight angle shot tonight you could see all 10 chelsea outfield on the screen when the ball wasn't even in a remotely dangerous position. Even after that disgraceful sending off they didn't even bother trying to attack the ball and play a normal style of football, only themselves to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Stekelly wrote: »
    How many refs in Rubgy make so many appallingly bad decisions in matches. (and how many different refs at the top level of rugby consistantly put in bad shifts)
    Plenty. See the Leinster v Munster game today for an example of a referee who doesn't bother with an offside line.

I think Hiddink gave a good account of himself, didn't say too much wrong I didn't think.

Frank Lampard looks just about ready to cry. :P

Refs like players can be influenced by occasion and pressure, you can't tell me you have the same level of intensity in Norway.

Hey!

My goldfish is Norwegian. I have been hurt by your comments Boggles. We aren't comrades anymore you cúnt :p

:rolleyes:
    Good contribution, you're top notch.

The chap has clearly been refereeing plenty of European games upto this, to put himself in the frame for this game.

Leeds,Newcastle,Manchester ??

• Advertisement

Abidal shouldn't have been sent off . . .
    Yup at the end of the day the refereeing was extremely poor.

Mmcd wrote: »
    Thats horrible making fun of him like that
    You're a fúcking disgrace :P

How would you feel if you were just mugged

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

meh, sitting back deep playing on the break and not finishing easy chances was what went againt them.

That and their reputation for diving and appealing for absolutely everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Does anyone else see a big glaring problem about our comments on the referee?

"If he is a good ref he is a good ref regardless of whether he refs in Norway, England, Spain or the Faroe Islands. He definitely wasn't a good ref tonight though."

"His nationality has absolutely nothing to do with it, its not like football in Norway is easier to officiate or something because the standard of football isn't as good as the Premiership. He has had a bad game, but he might normally be a good ref."

We have actually never seen this ref before! In the past, watching a big European game, I'd usually recognise the referee. Guys like Firsk, Collinna, and several others whose faces you might recognise. I for one have no idea who this ref is. How can he be expected to do a good job with no experience at this level?

Oh, and btw, I think if the ref gave any of 4 penalty claims, no one would really complain. As the saying goes, I've seen them given for that before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

If Chelsea are going to try and offload Drogba in the summer it may be difficult to find many interested parties.
    The diving, coupled with his performance tonight doesn't exactly scream "suitable for maintaining dressing room harmony"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'm still a Barce doubter and I'm here. They showed nothing to prove anyone wrong.

I'll tell you what they showed (stolen from Beeb)

"Chelsea were on the brink of heading to Rome to meet Manchester United again - but it was always high-risk to let Barcelona have so much possession and they delivered one killer blow two minutes from the end of stoppage time."

Give them possession at your peril. 10 Fuking players, one shot on target - 93rd min and they dumped a supposedly better team out on their arse. Dont doubt them. Oh and a note to Chelsea for future reference - dont so easily give possession to your opponent and think your defence will do the job because it didnt and when you have the chance to kill the game off take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

You know Platini is lovin this.

Highsider wrote: »
    Leeds,Newcastle,Manchester ??

There's only one United! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Terrible officiating and Barca don't deserve it for a second.

However, as a neutral I'm much happier at the thought of a United-Barca final than potentially boring Chelsea-United game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Justice done to be honest.
    Chelsea played with a 7 man defence for most of the match tonight and they made absolutely no effort to retain possession.
    Barca were poor by their standards,Messi and Eto looked well off the pace ,thought Xavi and Iniesta were very good.
    I'd prefer if United were playing Chelsea in the final.
    I suspect Ferguson will try and stifle Barca in the final and hit them on the break,Utd simply dont have good enough midfielders to take them on in an attacking game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

However, as a neutral I'm much happier at the thought of a United-Barca final than potentially boring Chelsea-United game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

capture-8.gif

And for those that want Drogba in all its audio glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeqJfF3lbgE

Edit: Never mind, got taken down already!

How much do ye reckon Ferguson paid the ref tonite - maybe one nite with Tevez :)

Liam O wrote: »

Link???

Exclusive new Drogba training photo released

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

GuanYin wrote: »

+10000000000000000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Justice done to be honest.

An awful lot occured tonight, didn't see much justice though TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Barca have a major defensive headache for the final with Alves and Abidal suspended and Marquez injured. I reckon we will see a patched up defence with:

Puyol - Pique - Caceres - Sylvinho

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Link???

yeah because I'm going to trawl through a load of comments to find them, I wasn't necessarily talking about this forum btw. If you want evidence of people saying United will walkover them, look at the 1 above the post you quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

GuanYin wrote: »

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    +10000000000000000

Do either of you not know last years final between Chelseas and United was 10 times the better game than either of the borefest's we got in the United-Barca semi's last year?

• Advertisement
Advertisement