Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Barcelona 2nd leg (first leg 0-0 )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

redout wrote: »
    I'll tell you what they showed (stolen from Beeb)

"Chelsea were on the brink of heading to Rome to meet Manchester United again - but it was always high-risk to let Barcelona have so much possession and they delivered one killer blow two minutes from the end of stoppage time."

Give them possession at your peril. 10 Fuking players, one shot on target - 93rd min and they dumped a supposedly better team out on their arse. Dont doubt them. Oh and a note to Chelsea for future reference - dont so easily give possession to your opponent and think your defence will do the job because it didnt and when you have the chance to kill the game off take it.

If Ballack stood there instead of ducking, then it's 0 shots on target and no final.

1 shot and a goal does little to change my opinion.

They have looked decidedly ordinary against Liverpool, Chelsea and Utd plenty of times over the last few years to tell me they arent as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Also:

2a7a3qv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Boggles wrote: »
    An awful lot occured tonight, didn't see much justice though TBH.
    Chelsea tried to stop Barca playing for 180 minutes, rather than trying to beat them at a game of soccer. The failed, and thats where the injustuce begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Barr wrote: »
    How much do ye reckon Ferguson paid the ref tonite - maybe one nite with Tevez :)

The last time United played Chelsea we beat them 3-0. The last time we played Barca we scraped past them 1-0, having surrendered possession for the best part of 180 minutes. Barcelona are the one team who United have to adjust against, as if we try and play our usual game against them, we will lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

After the obstruction "outside" the box in the first half and Pique's handball in the second if I was a Chelsea fan when that ball hit the barca player's arm in the box in the 90+ minute I'd probably put my chair threw the TV. It's with that in mind that I *shudders* sympathise (this time) with Ballack and Drogba's reactions. They were in the heat of the moment and I'd expect players to be emotional. If they admit they went over the top when their heads have cooled I'd hope UEFA aren't too severe on them even if I don't like the guys.

GuanYin wrote: »
    Terrible officiating and Barca don't deserve it for a second.

However, as a neutral I'm much happier at the thought of a United-Barca final than potentially boring Chelsea-United game.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    +10000000000000000

O get a bloody room! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Can't wait to see the reactions of all these cocky United fans when Barca teach them a footballing lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

copacetic wrote: »
    meh, sitting back deep playing on the break and not finishing easy chances was what went againt them.

That and their reputation for diving and appealing for absolutely everything.

Oh ye lets attack them..That will work out well..like saturday with Madrid..oh wait no..they lost 6-2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Cant see anything but a utd win again grrrr, Im sure Paddy Power would agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Stekelly wrote: »
    If Ballack stood there instead of ducking, then it's 0 shots on target and no final.

They have looked decidedly ordinary against Liverpool, Chelsea and Utd plenty of times over the last few years to tell me they arent as good.

150 goals so far this season, Copa del Rey finalists, Champions league finalists and la liga champions says they are a top team. How about looking at it the other way around - one shot was all they needed !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

DSB wrote: »
    Can't wait to see the reactions of all these cocky United fans when Barca teach them a footballing lesson.

ah, back to normal :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Daysha wrote: »
    Also:

2a7a3qv.jpg
    Emotion. Last chance to start a CL final and win it. Don't blame him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Stekelly wrote: »

It would be just as easy to say United and Chelsea looked decidedly ordinary against them (I don't really remember the Liverpool game enough to comment.) Barcelona didn't live up to people's expectations, and its a credit to them that people's expectations are so high. It doesn't mean they were sh1te, it just means they weren't at their destructive best. They still owned the football against both sides, and had Chelsea, a top, world class side, resorting to Big Sam-esque tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The referee tonight has reffed many UEFA Cup and Champions League games. He also reffed two games at Euro 08 (Germany v Poland, Italy v Romania) and has been (perhaps now had been) selected to ref at the 2010 World Cup. Presumably he has done something right to warrant his involvement at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

United have a better defense than Chelsea tbh and have more energetic players in midfield to break up attacks. Toss in Rooney and Ronaldo up front and you can see why they are favourites to retain their title. As a Leeds fan I feel a bit sick having to say that. Blergh.

Liam O wrote: »
    ah, back to normal :rolleyes:

Yes because I'm always anti-United, if you look through my posts you'll find this isn't the case. I'm just extremely humoured by the attitudes of those United fans who think United are gonna destroy Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

CHD wrote: »

Big difference between emotion and stupidity imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

Chong wrote: »
    Guus on Sky , every word he has is spot on.

this on net anywhere?, missed it and cant find on youtube

my 2 cents: I wish drogba had torn lumps out of the referee, exactly what i feel like doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

****ing robbed, 3 penalties denied, ref wasnt fit to officiate a Sunday league game. Absolutely heartbroken.

• Advertisement

KerranJast wrote: »
    United have a better defense than Chelsea tbh and have more energetic players in midfield to break up attacks. Toss in Rooney and Ronaldo up front and you can see why they are favourites to retain their title. As a Leeds fan I feel a bit sick having to say that. Blergh.

Yes but Barcelona weren't at their best tonight, why the hell are people so quick to judge a Barcelona team on one showing that wasn't even poor, it was just average, and they were the better team.

People need to seriously get out of this Premiership bubble and appreciate football outside of it. Barcelona are a class act, and have to be considered favourites for this game.

Daysha wrote: »
    Big difference between emotion and stupidity imo.
    It was stupid, but can't really blame him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    Does anyone else see a big glaring problem about our comments on the referee?

"If he is a good ref he is a good ref regardless of whether he refs in Norway, England, Spain or the Faroe Islands. He definitely wasn't a good ref tonight though."

"His nationality has absolutely nothing to do with it, its not like football in Norway is easier to officiate or something because the standard of football isn't as good as the Premiership. He has had a bad game, but he might normally be a good ref."

We have actually never seen this ref before! In the past, watching a big European game, I'd usually recognise the referee. Guys like Firsk, Collinna, and several others whose faces you might recognise. I for one have no idea who this ref is. How can he be expected to do a good job with no experience at this level?

Oh, and btw, I think if the ref gave any of 4 penalty claims, no one would really complain. As the saying goes, I've seen them given for that before!

He refereed the Villareal and Arsenal game and the United and Celtic games this year.Don't know any others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And what will you do if it is the other way round, Cry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Why is everybody complaining about Chelsea playing defensive football? If anything we showed that in theory it IS the way to beat them, the finishing is what let us down, really should have had 3/4 goals over 2 legs, same cant be said for Farcelona. While the ref can be blamed to an extent, it shouldn't have come to that, the tie should have been over by 60 mins tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Quazzie wrote: »
    Chelsea tried to stop Barca playing for 180 minutes, rather than trying to beat them at a game of soccer. The failed, and thats where the injustuce begins.

So teams shouldn't have tactics? Just send out 11 players and let them run forward with the ball. It'll like back in school. Teams should be praised for tactics along with being able to pass. Teams should be praised for neutralising their opponents, not looked down on cause the other team couldn't counter the tactic.

• Advertisement

eddiehead wrote: »
    Why is everybody complaining about Chelsea playing defensive football? If anything we showed that in theory it IS the way to beat them, the finishing is what let us down, really should have had 3/4 goals over 2 legs, same cant be said for Farcelona. While the ref can be blamed to an extent, it shouldn't have come to that, the tie should have been over by 60 mins tonight.

Except you didnt :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Not sure if this has been posted on here as yet. Cross posted from poker...

News reports of outbreak of swine flu in london tonight.
    40000 people at stamford bridge reported to be as sick as pigs

Barca were missing a good few defenders tonight, and Alves being out will mean they're even more defensive, as he isn't the most defensive of fullbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Barca have a major defensive headache for the final with Alves and Abidal suspended and Marquez injured. I reckon we will see a patched up defence with:

Puyol - Pique - Caceres - Sylvinho

Puyol - Pique - Toure (MOTM tonight btw) - Sylvinho

Unless i am missing something?

Haha. N excuse for his reaction. Had he and his team mates not been playing so negative for the previous 200 mins (ish) they would have not needed complaint.

I miust say, I am delerious with delight. This game showed Chelsea up for all they are. Sore losers and not a very good team either. Sure they should have had ONE penalty, but given the way they played for the whole 2 ties makes that moot.

May they all slip on Terrys his tears.

:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

Fair play to Barca who didn't play well and were a man down and kept going. Delighted for the likes of Drogba the cheat and Ballack to loose but i hate to see a player like Essien loosing out like that. Drogba out the door in the summer i'd say now.

• Advertisement

I reckon if Chelsea got through again , Chelsea would get through on Penalties now Utd 4 -0 against Barca

ShooterSF wrote: »
    So teams shouldn't have tactics? Just send out 11 players and let them run forward with the ball. It'll like back in school. Teams should be praised for tactics along with being able to pass. Teams should be praised for neutralising their opponents, not looked down on cause the other team couldn't counter the tactic.

Not when they don't win, Chelsea played horrible football and still went out.

MEGALOLZ.

MEGAFAIL.

gimmick wrote: »

Haha. N excuse for his reaction. Had he and his team mates not been playing so negative for the previous 200 mins (ish) they would have not needed complaint.

I miust say, I am delerious with delight. This game showed Chelsea up for all they are. Sore losers and not a very good team either. Sure they should have had ONE penalty, but given the way they played for the whole 2 ties makes that moot.

Thanks for the laugh. Chelsea are a class team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yes because I'm always anti-United, if you look through my posts you'll find this isn't the case. I'm just extremely humoured by the attitudes of those United fans who think United are gonna destroy Barca.

tbh it seems to be the non-United fans who see it that way. I'm nervous about it, I said earlier I would've preferred Chelsea. I doubt Barca will teach us a footballing lesson though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

+ eleventy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Still hasn't sunk in, I knew that Drogba miss was going to be vital. Drogba and Ballack should not have reacted the way they did regardless of incompetent referring.
    A word to the muppets in RTE especially Dunphy, he said Drobga was a disgrace but how he was very cool when his chum Roy Keane ended alfe inge halands's career!
    I'm proud to be a blue, overall Barca edged it because of the ball retention in the 2 legs, but there was alot of heroes tonight, and Malouda in particualr who worked his arse off. Essien went for hero to villian unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I really can't stand teams that pack men behind the ball like chelsea did tonight..

Don't mind when smaller teams do it as you can hardly expect them to play to the strengths of better teams. And the game tonight was great precisely because of the contrast in tactics. Romance vs fearful prudence and all that. A team with Chelsea's resources doing it so blatantly leaves a bad smell though.

No excuse for the Drogba and Ballack antics, despite the shit officiating.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I'm not really sure what to think of that game TBH. The atmos at the end with Drogba streaming on the pitch was incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Quazzie wrote: »

For ****s sake. Criticizing Chelsea for playing the way you should against Barca. Let them have all the possesion they want just don't give them space. Bollocks. Also, we did stop Barca playing football for 182 minutes so fair play. Anyone who criticizes that is quite frankly a fool.

We were the better team over the two legs, Barca's lack of shots on target show that. We were denied at least one stonewall penalty and Malouda's foul in the first half was in the box but a free kick was the best that we were ever going to get for it. Although Abidal was never a red card but in terms of refereeing decisions in the flight of the game it is heavily balanced in Barca's favour. Essien was great, Iniesta and Xavi were closed down for pretty much the whole two legs, unfortunately not completely. Eto'o was anonymous and the tactics were spot on. Force Barca to cross it into Alex and Terry.

One thing I will say about Barca though is they showed tremendous mettle to do what they did. They've been on cruise control all season but today they showed that when it matters they have the metal and they did it without their two most passionate players in Marquez and Puyol.

Sometimes luck ****s you over, sometimes it's on your side. Thems the breaks

I would have Toure in midfield over Busquets especially in such an important game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Why is everybody complaining about Chelsea playing defensive football? If anything we showed that in theory it IS the way to beat them
    Except you didnt :rolleyes:

Taken from post #2 of this thread
    Well if Chelsea attempt to attack there finished.

No team on the planet can stand toe to toe with this side and win.

#1,I said "in theory"..

and #2...well...you said it best yourself imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i didnt see the second half of the game tonight which means i missed all the decisions but either way i'm gutted barca went through simply cos i'll have to listen to champions of europe ****e for another year from united fans. Whether we like it or not there's no way barca will beat them absolutely no way. united will crush them on the counter attack and that'll be that

Liam O wrote: »
    tbh it seems to be the non-United fans who see it that way. I'm nervous about it, I said earlier I would've preferred Chelsea. I doubt Barca will teach us a footballing lesson though...

Whether they come out with the result or not, they'll outplay United. United might have a bit more ability to get the job done. Rooney and Ferdinand will have key roles to play I'd imagine.

chelsea really deserved a second goal

V9 wrote: »
    ****ing robbed, 3 penalties denied, ref wasnt fit to officiate a Sunday league game. Absolutely heartbroken.
    Chin up. We will get there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Yes but Barcelona weren't at their best tonight, why the hell are people so quick to judge a Barcelona team on one showing that wasn't even poor, it was just average, and they were the better team.

People need to seriously get out of this Premiership bubble and appreciate football outside of it. Barcelona are a class act, and have to be considered favourites for this game.
    Barca are an excellent team but will be up against an even better all round side. They have no defense and even Chelsea with 30% possession over the two legs could have scored 4 against them at least. For the bones of 4 hours of football against English opposition over the past few seasons Barcelona have looked at best ineffective and at worst pedestrian. Nothing Fergie will have seen from them this season will have frightened him unless his team completely lose their heads like they did against Liverpool.
    They are a team to be outmaneuvered not feared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I know the game has only just ended, but if someone can point me in the direction of a video of the Drogba incident, that would be brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Chin up. We will get there again.
    Next yr ;)

Redout.

Yous didn't beat us. yous got a miracle. Shhhh and count your blessings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

everyone on about chelsea horrible football? they were plaing a game and they played it well, didnt see anything beautiful bout barcelonas game? they play a beuatiful game against spanish teams..they couldnt do it against chelsea premiership FAR FAR FAR tougher than primera liga, man utd will beat barca.. no doubt

and a big fat F**K YOU to drogba haters, hes a legend i wish he had torn lumps outta the referee

Advertisement