Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Barcelona 2nd leg (first leg 0-0 )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Iang87 wrote: »
    But dude seriously the ref was shocking there was at least 3 penalties to be had.

...What? Seriously...What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Ok there is a phenomenal amount of guff being spouted here.

Just my 0.02c but I'm going to attempt to explain why I reckon the best team won with a few points:

Chelsea approached both legs with fearful tactics. They went with a 'you will not score' philosophy. Chelsea have been VERY dominant in England for the past 3-4 years and have not employed these tactics domestically, and in 99% of their games they are the better team and dominate possession. Players such as Lampard etc get on the ball and influence large parts of the game. They did the polar opposite to their norm. Why? Fear.

Why in the name of Jesus would they not approach Barca (even the home game) and actually put it to them??? Everyone goes on about how Barca's defence is so shocking! Jesus if thats the case why don't you come out with an attacking attitude?

Its almost a cop out of an approach. Its far easier to come out with the 'we'll stop them from scoring and hope to nick one' approach than it is to come out and grab the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate such a prestegious fixture.

For two teams with squads of roughly the same value, experience, big names etc, I felt there was a huge gulf in class.

Why I have so much respect for Barcelona, is that they have the same approach to EVERY match, regardless of the opponents.

For the sport in general this is a HUGE result I reckon. I'm delighted to see a team with Barcelona's attitude get their rewards. Going down to 10 men and still having the patience to play one twos out of defense in the final minutes of one of the biggest games of their careers while in desperate need of a goal has to be applauded. Anybody who says otherwise is simply not a fan of football and how it should be played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Liam O wrote: »
    What exactly does being a United fan have to do with anything? He didn't even say anything about who he supports and because there's a chance he's a United fan he's not allowed to point out Anelka and Drogba's dives tonight and the disgraceful behaviour from the Chelsea players? ABU I suppose

yep complete abu but to talk about another teams players diving when they have cristiano ronaldo in their team is just simply disgusting to me

either way i can feel me gettin a ban if i stay here goodnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Slash/ED wrote: »
    ...What? Seriously...What?

Malouda in the first half was in the box imo,
    drogba's shirt was clearly pulled back and either handball take your pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

The only thing Barca lacked was shots on target
    WTF? There was a reason for that
    While they got lucky with not giving away a Peno.

Ya dont say, which one are you referring to there eh?
    Chelski got lucky when Barca got a man sent off for no reason

Not really tbh, didn't change a thing and if anything it only served to ensure the ref didn't fcuk Barca over anymore throughout the match, I'd have gladly taken one of the following peno claims over the sending off
    Chelsea played great. There goal came from luck with a fantastic strike from Essien.

Which part of that world class finish was luck if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Malouda in the first half was in the box imo,
    drogba's shirt was clearly pulled back and either handball take your pick

An then the one situation where it wasnt a foul (the red card)..he gives it....i dunno:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

all this chelsea robbed stuff has basis, but it's not as clear cut in the hard light of day.

pique's was the only absolutely blatant one.

the rest were 50/50 imo. could have been given, easily not.

barca robbed of one in the first leg too remember.

never a sending off.

what killed chelsea was not taking their chances, above all else. we wouldn't be talking about any of this if they had. so look at yourselves, as Hiddink himself remarked.

chelsea were definitely the better team tonight. you proved me very wrong in terms of how good you could really be. barca were pretty in their passing, but too ineffective most of the time.

any sympathy i had went out the window at the end though. many many teams have felt robbed in big games. no excuse for the bullying at the end. none. show your emotion in another way. did you see lampard attacking the ref at the end? no. a bit of class. Malouda, Terry (surprise surprise) and even Cech at it. Ballack was pretty bad. Drogba absolutely atrocious in his actions.

that all being said, i'm delighted at the prospect of utd/barca though. i think utd's style suits barca better so talk of a walkover for utd on these boards is pretty laughable.

wouldn't like to call it. 2-1 barca. but that could change come May 27th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

Bill O herlihy really annoyed me after match.. when he went to look at the barc goal: " OKay lets celebrate so and have a look at....."

a biased rte tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Fizman wrote: »
    Ok there is a phenomenal amount of guff being spouted here.

I'm going to attempt to explain why I reckon the best team won with a few points:

Chelsea approached both legs with fearful tactics. They went with a 'you will not score' philosophy. Chelsea have been VERY dominant in England for the past 3-4 years and have not employed these tactics domestically, and in 99% of their games they are the better team and dominate possession. Players such as Lampard etc get on the ball and influence large parts of the game. They did the polar opposite to their norm. Why? Fear.

I would have gone with tactics. When poachers hunt a Lion do they run at it with bear hands and teeth like the Tiger. No, because it would be ****ing stupid. They use tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

yep complete abu but to talk about another teams players diving when they have cristiano ronaldo in their team is just simply disgusting to me

To be fair Drogba dives an awful lot. He's a huge strong man aswell, some of the falls he take shudn't be happening due to the laws of physics. :)

Also I think it's fair to say everyone know's Ronaldo dives but what ppl keep forgeting is he's not the only one. It's a huge part of the game now unfortunatly.

Anyways Off topic,

so, I really thought Chelsea should have won. They weren't robbed. Regardless of the peno claims, but they wasted great chances.

Also, Drogba is a tool for saying all that about the ref.
    Look at the chances you missed first sir.

Slash/ED wrote: »
    Barca last year finished third in La Liga, but I assume you know this already, and so aren't comparing that side to this one obviously?

They'd the heart of their team missing this time. So judging them on 4 games, 2 of which were a different side and 1 of which they'd a host of players out/out of position, is what you're doing here? That can only be spot on sure...

Again, not what I was getting at. My problem was with people giving out about Chelsea playing defensive football when it clearly was effective and we were ultimately only let down by some very poor finishing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Folks can we all take a step back and refrain from posting if you can not control your temper.

The mods are watching.

Dub13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Sweeno wrote: »
    Bill O herlihy really annoyed me after match.. when he went to look at the barc goal: " OKay lets celebrate so and have a look at....."

a biased rte tonight

FOOTBALL PUNDIT IN BIASED SHOCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I would have gone with tactics. When poachers hunt a Lion do they run at it with bear hands and teeth like the Tiger. No, because it would be ****ing stupid. They use tactics.

Here Bubs, here's a picture of a brick wall, tell that, I'm on my 4th post on the subject

BrickWall.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Bubs101 wrote: »

So in theory.....and correct me if I'm wrong here......but you are referring to Chelsea as 'poachers' in this case....yes?

Why? This is my problem. I'm sure if you ask any Chelsea player, coach, board member etc......if they think they are the best team in England....that they would like to think they are! Correct?

Post the same question to anyone in Barca colours...i'm sure you'll get the same response. Neither team won the domestic league last year, yet both are reasonable claims from either side.

So both teams.....on equal footing in their respective leagues (relatively) come head to head in Europe. Everybody is licking their lips at the prospect. Both squads worth well over 100 million blah blah blah, several world class players in each squad.

You labelled (again correct me if i'm wrong) Chelsea as the poachers? Why in Gods name didn't they look at themselves with the belief that they are the Lions, the better players, the team to be feared. I reckon Chelsea would have had a far better chance of advancing to the final if the actually had more belief in their ability. I'm far from a Chelsea fan, but I reckon by approaching the game in the manor they did.....they declared themselves the inferior of the two. They had this need to 'protect'....instead of 'attack'.

For this reason, I find it very hard to feel sorry for them, even with such a late goal, and so many contentious decisions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

At least Chelsea win this thread.

So in theory.....and correct me if I'm wrong here......but you are referring to Chelsea as 'poachers' in this case....yes?

Why? This is my problem. I'm sure if you ask any Chelsea player, coach, board member etc......if they think they are the best team in England....that they would like to think they are! Correct?

Post the same question to anyone in Barca colours...i'm sure you'll get the same response. Neither team won the domestic league last year, yet both are reasonable claims from either side.

So both teams.....on equal footing in their respective leagues (relatively) come head to head in Europe. Everybody is licking their lips at the prospect. Both squads worth well over 100 million blah blah blah, several world class players in each squad.

You labelled (again correct me if i'm wrong) Chelsea as the poachers? Why in Gods name didn't they look at themselves with the belief that they are the Lions, the better players, the team to be feared. I reckon Chelsea would have had a far better chance of advancing to the final if the actually had more belief in their ability. I'm far from a Chelsea fan, but I reckon by approaching the game in the manor they did.....they declared themselves the inferior of the two. They had this need to 'protect'....instead of 'attack'.

For this reason, I find it very hard to feel sorry for them, even with such a late goal, and so many contentious decisions.

Did no one watch tonights fecking game..We did attack..Someone can post shot stats im not arsed..Only difference tonight (bar the ref) was we didnt take our chances when we had them..mainly Drogba's one

Soby wrote: »
    Did no one watch tonights fecking game..We did attack..Someone can post shot stats im not arsed..Only difference tonight (bar the ref) was we didnt take our chances when we had them..mainly Drogba's one

Nonsense, posession outside of the final third is how champions do it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Sorry if these have been posted already :

doxohd.gif

33xwsye.gif

2pqrp82.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

first one is pure brilliant

lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

in no way did the best team win tonight, the ref seemed to be blind, deluded, closely related to Platini's butt, or just plain stupid, he seemed to get every big decision wrong and gave cards and frees for the most spurious of reasons. True chelsea should have taken their chances but not getting 2 clear penalties is plain nuts. I know there's a lot of anti chelsea on here but every text I've got tonight has been from gooners, spurs and neutrals saying how wrong that result was, quite shocking

Annoyed but not surprised, we could have won it on the chances we created and should have won it if the ref wasn't a &%$ , that's football, that's chelsea and we'll be back. Keep the blue flag flying high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

People are so fast with those videos these days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

LOL. Its disgusting? Gerrard is known to take an ol dive too ya know.

People in glass houses.

Thrilled Barce got through. Can't wait for the final now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Sorry if these have been posted already :

doxohd.gif

33xwsye.gif

2pqrp82.gif

that's the best tom n' jerry i've seen!!
    my sides hurt

Was all a conspiracy imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Haha the one with the bee.

Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'd be amazed if Guus said that and I'd like to see if you have any quotes to support this. The players maybe, the coach no way.
    Did you read the mind of the Barca staff too? Talented man like yourself should use your powers for personal gain

You labelled (again correct me if i'm wrong) Chelsea as the poachers?
    Well since you asked this time. In English, there is this thing called a comparison. I was not calling Chelsea poachers nor Barca Wildcats. I was showing how retarded your reasoning was with a basic concept in language
    Why in Gods name didn't they look at themselves with the belief that they are the Lions, the better players, the team to be feared. I reckon Chelsea would have had a far better chance of advancing to the final if the actually had more belief in their ability. I'm far from a Chelsea fan, but I reckon by approaching the game in the manor they did.....they declared themselves the inferior of the two. They had this need to 'protect'....instead of 'attack'.
    By protect you mean defend, and then counter attack. The goal of attacking is to get shots on target and ultimately goals yes? We had more shots on target, an equal number of goals and a clear penalty turned down. You don't just attack because it looks better. It's stupid. Hiddink knows this. And you think the likes of Ballack and Terry feared Barca. Please. Your post is ridiculous
    Nobody's asking you to feel sorry for us, pity is sad. We just want some ****ing credit where credit is due. The first thing I posted ended with a fair play Barca, you showed mettle. What did I find when I read back. Petulant Bull**** and idiocy. Your post fell into only one of the categories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

growler wrote: »
    in no way did the best team win tonight, the ref seemed to be blind, deluded, closely related to Platini's butt, or just plain stupid, he seemed to get every big decision wrong and gave cards and frees for the most spurious of reasons.

yet he sent off a Barca player for nothing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

250impw.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8037147.stm

Pep Guardiola speaks after the game.

th-th-th-that's all folks!

dsmythy wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8037147.stm

Pep Guardiola speaks after the game.
    And Lamps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Any talk of uefa conspiracy is embarrassing imo

the ref was incompetent end of story

jaykay74 wrote: »

ref should be punish for his mistakes buy he probly wont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Holsten wrote: »
    Haha the one with the bee.

Brilliant!

Kerry GAA football player had an incident with a bee on the referee's notebook last summer with similar results. I hope the Chelsea players in question don't get 6 months like Paul did:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Headshot wrote: »
    ref should be punish for his mistakes buy he probly wont

Refs who make mistakes often lose out on further big games, so that could be seen as a form of punishment.

jaykay74 wrote: »

Theres a discussion in the Conspiracy Theory Forum AFAIK.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I commented on this Article this morning on the chelsea website saying no player that still plays in the game should be used in examples like this and it has really shown its self tonight

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2413604.ece

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Kerry GAA football player had an incident with a bee on the referee's notebook last summer with similar results. I hope the Chelsea players in question don't get 6 months like Paul did:eek:

As a Chelsea fan , it was terrible to see , these guys should remember they are role models !

I think its time UEFA followed most other sports in the world and got the video ref in !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Getting OTT now

2natrq0.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Chelsea should have had one penalty and Abidal should have stayed on the pitch.

Horrible to see so many bookings ruling players out of the final, really think it's about time the clubs got together to force UEFA into abandoning these ridiculously harsh rules. That there's no way to appeal is farcical considering the incompetence of so many refs.

Anyway, thought Chelsea did well overall but justice was done and the best team won. Barca showed magnficent character, never gave up, and even when it was all going horribly wrong it was great to see Pep in such good form on the touchline.

Impossible to have any sympathy for players as nasty as Drogba, Ballack and Anelka were tonight. Good riddance to them.

The irony of Mr. Drogba calling anyone a disgrace is hilarious.

I honestly think UTD have it in the BAG, They have what Chelsea are completely lacking and again it showed tonight

Wingers and pace in the middle of the park

The ball touched my arm, but the referee decided it wasn't a penalty

Barcelona's Gerard Pique

Honest anyway

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I commented on this Article this morning on the chelsea website saying no player that still plays in the game should be used in examples like this and it has really shown its self tonight

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2413604.ece

What who got harddone by?
    Abidal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Soby wrote: »
    Honest anyway

Weeeeeeeeeell technically he said the ball touched his hand, not he touched the ball with his hand. Therefore no foul is what he is saying ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Drogba for me culminates everything I hate about football. A cheat is what he is.

All the Chelsea players seemed very quick to dismiss the sending off for Abidal.

People can say that Barca were terrible tonight but it's the difference between taking your chances and not.

Tough way to lose a match but that's football.

mayordenis wrote: »
    What who got harddone by?
    Abidal?

Was never a sending off ,

and dont want to harp on about the penalty's but there were a couple of stonewall peno's not given,

If the match had of gone to a peno shoot out that ref would have found a way not to give us one (from chelsea chat)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I don't really understand talk of Man U beating Chelsea 3-0, that was not the same team as it is now.

I, like many, feel that we were robbed. I felt that Malouda was clearly in the box. Most agree about Pique's handball. And the other ones could have at least gone either way. But when there are so many, it seems unbelievable that not even one, no matter which one it was, was granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

A7X wrote: »
    Weeeeeeeeeell technically he said the ball touched his hand, not he touched the ball with his hand. Therefore no foul is what he is saying ;)

I heard the interview and that's exactly what he's saying, he says that it was not intentional and therefore not a foul

• Advertisement
Advertisement