Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Barcelona 2nd leg (first leg 0-0 )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I nearly exploded when Iniesta scored that goal, my god, didn't think anyone deserved it more on the Barca team either, he was our most dangerous player by far in the second half. Chelsea were excellently resolute, and their two banks of 4 frustrated me so much for 180 minutes because of how efficient they were. Pity an intriguing tie in football is going to be overshadowed by some bad referring decisions. And I really hope IF Barca go on to win people won't begrudge them of the trophy.

Lol at how many people have written Barca off iswell... United will surely beat them 3-0....

Also, I think it's about time that this stigma about Barca having an atrocious back 4 and goal keeper need to stop. In both ties against Man Utd and Chelsea, the two most powerful english teams of the past 5 years, it took two wonder strikes to beat Valdes. I'll gladly admit that Barca will always have difficulty breaking down any team with defenders/ intelligent tactics like that of the calibre that Chelsea and Man Utd possess. Valdes was our best player up until the 92nd minute imo, some crucial saves.

Also, everyone who doesn't watch Barca regularly, DO NOT judge Alves solely on tonights performance, he is the best RB in the world, but his delivery was truly awful tonight... :pac::pac:

Anyway, with that out of the way, ON WE GO TO ROMEEEE!!!!! Barca can hopefully start getting rid of all the underachieving in the CL by adding a 3rd European cup to their cabinet on the 27th of May...

Predicted team atm;

VV

---Puyol
    Pique
    Toure---Sylvinho----

Busquets

Xavi
    Iniesta

----Messi
    Eto'o
    Henry

Also, tonight was the perfect example of why I think Villa is better than Eto'o, Eto'o will score you so many goals, but he is too reliant on excellent service from his midfielders, whereas Villa is much more capable of setting up goals by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Hiddink's word in text:

Penalties

'Players make mistakes, coaches make mistakes, the referee can make mistakes,' Hiddink began. 'And that is why we give them the benefit of the doubt sometimes. That is all in the game.

'But if you have seen three or four situations waved away, then it is the worst I have seen.'

'You have sometimes to give the benefit of doubt to the referee,' continued Hiddink, 'because you can discuss whether there was a penalty when Drogba had his shirt pulled in the first-half but you can also discuss last week whether Henry was pulled on his shirt in the area. But if you have three or four situations?

'In the first half you see it with Malouda, clearly pulled over in the area. The ref had a perfect view. Then you see waved away the two handball situations when the arms were going up. We got a penalty against us away to Juventus when Belletti went up with arms high in the wall. After when I saw that I said yes, it was a penalty.

'It was a similar situation today with Anelka's ball when the hand was lifted by Piqué. You cannot draw back your hand in that situation. And the second one when the shot came from Ballack and Eto'o lifted his arm.'

Though he's right when he says this:

'We played a very decent game and we did tactically well. The only thing is we should have decided the game already outside of the big worldwide discussion over the penalties.

'At this level it is very difficult and there were two or three open chances we should have taken. Then we wouldn't have this fuss about penalties.'

I'm not so sure about defending Drogba though

'I can understand fully his reaction, full of emotion, full of adrenalin. People say you should be in control. He was in control. The moment a player is full of emotion and starts hitting, he is going beyond where he should go. I fully understand his behaviour and I will protect that.'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The ref will claim he prob did not see it hit his hand , shocking call, your hands should not be up in the box , no excuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I don't really understand talk of Man U beating Chelsea 3-0, that was not the same team as it is now.

I, like many, feel that we were robbed. I felt that Malouda was clearly in the box. Most agree about Pique's handball. And the other ones could have at least gone either way. But when there are so many, it seems unbelievable that not even one, no matter which one it was, was granted.
    Obstruction inside the box = indirect free kick if I'm not mistaken.

The only penalty Chelsea should have had was against Pique, and that was after Abidal's ridiculous sending off.

Thought Toure was awesome for Barca tonight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Information on tonights ref , he made a huge blunder 10 months ago and he is then allowed to ref a semi final of the Champions league , unbelievable

Tom Henning Øvrebø
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Tom Henning Øvrebø
    Born February 6, 1966 (age 42)
    Oslo, Norway
    Nationality Norwegian
    Occupation Football referee
    Height 1.87 m (6 ft 11⁄2 in)
    Weight 89 kg
    Tom Henning Øvrebø (born 26 June 1966 in Oslo, Norway) is a Norwegian football referee. He works as a psychologist outside of football.[1]
    Øvrebø has refereed 205 matches in the Norwegian Premier League since his debut on September 20, 1992. In 1994 he became an authorised FIFA referee, and has refereed many matches in the UEFA Cup and UEFA Champions League. He won the Kniksen award as referee of the year in the Norwegian Premier League for 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2006. He refereed the cup finals in Norway in 1999 (Rosenborg - Brann) and 2006 (Fredrikstad - Sandefjord).
    He was chosen to referee at Euro 2008 - his first major tournament and the first time he was chosen over fellow countryman and colleague Terje Hauge. He refereed the Germany - Poland match on the opening day of Group B. He refereed the Italy - Romania match which resulted in a 1-1 draw. The Italian Football Federation later demanded an apology from UEFA after Luca Toni’s goal was incorrectly ruled out for offside in the Italy - Romania match that Øvrebø refereed.[2] There was also criticism of the official for a penalty shot given to Romania and a yellow card to Daniele De Rossi at the ending moments of the game. Afterwards, Øvrebø admitted he had made a mistake during the game.[3] Øvrebø was not assigned any more matches to referee at Euro 2008.[4]. Øvrebø has recently been the target of further criticism when refereeing the second leg of 2009 semi-final of the UEFA Champions League between Chelsea and FC Barcelona, when no less than four penalty decisions were contested by the Chelsea team, [5] prompting Chelsea fowrard Didier Drogba to controversially dub the game a "****ing disgrace". [6] He was preselected as a referee for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.[7]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Thought Lampard was the real standout performer tbh.

and i dont rate him like some people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Information on tonights ref , he made a huge blunder 10 months ago and he is then allowed to ref a semi final of the Champions league , unbelievable

Tom Henning Øvrebø
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Tom Henning Øvrebø
    Born February 6, 1966 (age 42)
    Oslo, Norway
    Nationality Norwegian
    Occupation Football referee
    Height 1.87 m (6 ft 11⁄2 in)
    Weight 89 kg
    Tom Henning Øvrebø (born 26 June 1966 in Oslo, Norway) is a Norwegian football referee. He works as a psychologist outside of football.[1]
    Øvrebø has refereed 205 matches in the Norwegian Premier League since his debut on September 20, 1992. In 1994 he became an authorised FIFA referee, and has refereed many matches in the UEFA Cup and UEFA Champions League. He won the Kniksen award as referee of the year in the Norwegian Premier League for 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2006. He refereed the cup finals in Norway in 1999 (Rosenborg - Brann) and 2006 (Fredrikstad - Sandefjord).
    He was chosen to referee at Euro 2008 - his first major tournament and the first time he was chosen over fellow countryman and colleague Terje Hauge. He refereed the Germany - Poland match on the opening day of Group B. He refereed the Italy - Romania match which resulted in a 1-1 draw. The Italian Football Federation later demanded an apology from UEFA after Luca Toni’s goal was incorrectly ruled out for offside in the Italy - Romania match that Øvrebø refereed.[2] There was also criticism of the official for a penalty shot given to Romania and a yellow card to Daniele De Rossi at the ending moments of the game. Afterwards, Øvrebø admitted he had made a mistake during the game.[3] Øvrebø was not assigned any more matches to referee at Euro 2008.[4]. Øvrebø has recently been the target of further criticism when refereeing the second leg of 2009 semi-final of the UEFA Champions League between Chelsea and FC Barcelona, when no less than four penalty decisions were contested by the Chelsea team, [5] prompting Chelsea fowrard Didier Drogba to controversially dub the game a "****ing disgrace". [6] He was preselected as a referee for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.[7]

Hey, quit doing the tabloids work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

A huge blunder? On an offside decision? Yes that really sounds like it was him that was at major fault. Come out of that.

DSB wrote: »
    A huge blunder? On an offside decision? Yes that really sounds like it was him that was at major fault. Come out of that.

He was dropped for the rest of the tournament so yes a huge blunder !

• Advertisement

I wonder if Tom Henning Øvrebø will now become the second ref to quit because of Chelsea's outrageous overreactions.

Horrible winners, horrible losers, horrible team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Thought Lampard was the real standout performer tbh.

and i dont rate him like some people do.

Yeah defensively he was quality and worked really hard, something that I, possibly erroneously, had never really associated with him. He also played a couple of lethal passes at times.

kinaldo wrote: »
    Obstruction inside the box = indirect free kick if I'm not mistaken.

The only penalty Chelsea should have had was against Pique, and that was after Abidal's ridiculous sending off.

If contact is made then its a peno , Its a silly rule as i dont see how you can obstruct someone without actually touching them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I wonder if Tom Henning Øvrebø will now become the second ref to quit because of Chelsea's outrageous overreactions.

Meh, he will survive. Footballs better off without him though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

He was dropped for the rest of the tournament so yes a huge blunder !

ref's don't make the calls on offsides, because they are not in line with the play.

583a76f01f9249c2eb8d3a5dccea7d3c-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

fede652a1f773274a7eebf1886325b6c-getty-85999205dm039_chelsea_v_bar.jpg

d675e4c0225b7bfb60f6f7daa571c558-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

b383d2e0e06351483afcd1eccd1fabe6-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

9d2c6b27706f48db40c091729fc752ac-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

f4b8cf2e5a13511103a21c9afa77d2dd-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

4fec0cef56030286c07c667ea9236b15-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

6ae8382f679eb99dd31c847c95b5057f-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

12394790294c0985a2f32e41f87f6366-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

0707f9c3b0be2b0896700ba3669bbef3-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

mayordenis wrote: »
    ref's don't make the calls on offsides, because they are not in line with the play.

He said he made the mistake ,

Any way Chelsea

Shuda
    Wuda
    cuda

and good night

7f60b63a57ef06772c32f00a97b96f89-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

aa0cf18dcfc6f345b78856d6eb21abc7-getty-85999205dm048_chelsea_v_bar.jpg

73b139b531525a1f93f1e508f57cb24a-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

fd44edda7942d20a8f2df07ba3c700ab-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

43eed57e8b7bd4fa3b0f2c4c5c9d376e-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

277b5ffef65f7289af05b1ec5cdbbbf5-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

fd5bffa6dc67e8e33d97a28aaaa39368-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

ad6e283839a326eab5dd0b42ec15efed-getty-fbl-eur-c1-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

Oh dear its getting silly now !

I can see a couple of lengthy bans on the way for some Chelsea players

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1711/chelsea/2009/05/07/1250501/chelseas-jose-bosingwa-referee-was-bought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

He's a psychologist. I'm sure he's mentally able to take it.

Lolz... As much as I feel for Chelsea, if Drogba didn't feign injury about a bazillion times then there wouldn't have been 4 minutes of injury time, and Iniesta/ Barca/ and me would all be very sad right now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

CHD wrote: »
    Footballs better off without him though.

biting my lip.
    Oh dear its getting silly now !

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1711/chelsea/2009/05/07/1250501/chelseas-jose-bosingwa-referee-was-bought

i really hope Uefa throw the book at them, and even maybe the PL step in and do something too. The behaviour tonight was unbelievable. True colours were shown for many imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Did you read the mind of the Barca staff too? Talented man like yourself should use your powers for personal gain
    Well since you asked this time. In English, there is this thing called a comparison. I was not calling Chelsea poachers nor Barca Wildcats. I was showing how retarded your reasoning was with a basic concept in language

Your post is ridiculous

Your post fell into only one of the categories

Nice. So seeing as I am so far down the syndrome scale in your eyes, i'll try to stop posting such brainless drivel....but i'd like to ask if you were happy with Chelsea's approach/performance in general tonight, and as a whole throughout the two legs?

Barcelona have, supposedly, a weak defense. On top of that, tonight they were missing 3 of their 4 senior centre backs, each of them probably being the 3 most physical players in the squad. Should this not have given Chelsea the mindset to get at them from the off, similar to what United did to Arsenal (I know they scored after 9 mins, but that was against the run of play however)??

I'm just baffled as to how over two legs, a team with the talent in the Chelsea side, never really had a comfortable spell of possession at any point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Not great behaviour from the Chelsea lads there. Reckon Bosingwa will definitely face a lenthy ban for mis-conduct and bringing the game into disrepute.

Lol at Bosingwa's comments.

These Chelsea mercenaries really have no class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Yep looks likely, players and managers defo wouldnt get away with saying that about a premier league match but with uefa you never know what could happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Someone do a slow-motion montage of the Chelsea behaviour tonight....with the following song in the background. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Funnily enough despite Drogba's quite public outburst Bosingwa will probably get the most punishment for actively suggesting the ref was "bought".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Silly behaviour from our lads but I guess we'll have a few players missing against Cluj or someone in the group stage next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,562 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well all I can say is that tonight had everything that makes me love football so much. Great goals, great tactical battle, drama, controversy and excitement.

I've read lots of posts here saying that Barcelona played crap and that Utd will win the final easily. I really think these are people who either did not watch the same match as me or don't really follow football.

At the end of the day, statistics like possession, corners, shots on goals etc count for nothing, its the goals that count and Barcelona got the one they needed.

Also, if they played so crap, how come they won the tie, surely that is a sign of a good and dangerous team?

What impressed me most though,was how Barca never lost belief and continued to play passing football. Even after the sending off they stuck to their game plan. The goal they got in the 93rd minute was a thing of beauty, no hoofing it up the field, but passing and the finish was majestic.

I really believe it was thoroughly deserved. Also Chelsea got their tactics wrong by not going properly for the second goal.

As for all the Chelsea protests, I really think they have only 1 legit claim (Pique handball) and that is canceled out by the unjust Barca sending off.

Rest were not penos and the protests by the players were terrible.

Drogba, who despite having great ability, has been cheating all through his premiership career, priority is to dive, fake injuries and get players sent off, so he had some nerve to make his comments tonight and I have no sympathy for him or the club.

Delighted to see a club with a real footballing tradition go through, and I think it will be a great final. I couldn't dare call a winner, just really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Silly drunken question but can Uefa do anything to Ballack and Drogba since the ref already booked them for their protests.? I can understand their frustration but their actions we're very unprofessional and just make us look like sore losers. It also takes away from the hard working performance the team put in. Not pretty I know but they surpassed my expectations this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone confirm whether Iniesta got a yellow card for his celebration? I mean, he took his shirt off, so he should have got one, but according to the Beeb and RTE he go off scot free.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Feel some sympathy for Chelsea supporters who were so close and who manage to retain some dignity in defeat.

Unbridled joy for all those whose EPL mythical defence bubble was burst so spectacularly though. Those who might now realise that Chelsea are the latest side to fall to the 0-0 draw is a good result fallacy. Maybe now some will listen up to those who know this isn't the Barcelona of last season or the season before. Those who criticised no plan B. Those who consider validation to be beating an EPL side. Those who don't know what they're talking about. You know, the Jason Cundy types.

It is those I feel especially smug since about 2135 after them shouting so loudly since last week :pac:

"They only needed 10 men"
    "They only needed one shot"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

selpher wrote: »
    Silly drunken question but can Uefa do anything to Ballack and Drogba since the ref already booked them for their protests.? I can understand their frustration but their actions we're very unprofessional and just make us look like sore losers. It also takes away from the hard working performance the team put in. Not pretty I know but they surpassed my expectations this season.
    They can if the ref mentions it in his report which obviously he will do. ( i think )

Drogba will get 2 matches and Ballack maybe aswell imo. Wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens. They will miss the qualifiers unless we finish 2nd so no big deal really.

Gotta understand there frustrations though. Huge deal just cause Drogba went mad :rolleyes: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

I hope this can put things into context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,461 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kyp_durron wrote: »
    I hope this can put things into context.

so, anyone else see that as a vid of Kilbane doing a backheel against Arsenal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

so, anyone else see that as a vid of Kilbane doing a backheel against Arsenal?

Yes:confused: I don't see the significance.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Ok now that all the ABC's have had their fun covering themselves in baby oil to have a happy **** lets get the real football discussion going.

It was hard to take and yes i was gutted but lets look at the game. Chelsea only have themselves to blame. 5 or 6 golden chances and not one of them taken, at this level you can't expect for that to go unpunished.

Of all the penalty claims I think realistically only 2 were real contenders. The rest were feeble at best. The two I'd say were Malouda and Piquet handball. Malouda's was awarded a free kick just outside the area but that was inside. Whats more baffling was the ref's position here, straing in line and he awards it outside. Suggestion around today is that the ref was under UEFA orders to have Barca in the final but really you can't rely on ref's at this stage. Had Chelsea bagged their chances then the penalty claims wouldn't be an issue.

The bahaviour of some of the Chelsea players was a disgrace. Drogba, Ballack and Bosingwa. That said I think the end has come for Drog and Ballack in blue so not really a loss there. Thing is, tempers are high and emotions are high, to avoid this, bring in the video ref, thats all football has to do and all this goes away.

As for Barca. They remind me of the Arsenal team of a few years back. Bags of possession without doing anything. Over 90mins of football they had 1 shot on target! Is this really all the best team in the world can do? Fair enough they scored it and some will say oh they hold onto the ball so well. For me a great team in Milan of the 80/90's, Ajax of the mid 90's, Cruijff's Barca. All these teams held the ball but they all had an end product. Barca flatter to decieve here. I think far too many people base great football on keeping the ball rather than being efficient with it. Chelsea had much less of teh ball but created 5 great chances. Barca had tonnes of it and Cech didn't make a single save.

Someone should take Dani Alevs out and shoot him. He was Chelsea's best player last night. Exactly what has happend to him?

The final, well I can see United beating them 2 or 3 nil to be honest. United are clinical when they get a chance, more so than Chelsea and they will keep Barca to a minimum of chances. I do expect possession to be about 60% in favour of Barca but United to take the chances they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

No end product? They could shatter records for goals scored this season, they've three players with over 90 goals this season! No end product, jesus christ :D

Ref had an agenda? Why'd he send Abidal off, and why no mention to the decisions that went against Barca in the first leg? Talk sense please.

Slash/ED wrote: »
    No end product? They could shatter records for goals scored this season, they've three players with over 90 goals this season! No end product, jesus christ :D

Ref had an agenda? Why'd he send Abidal off, and why no mention to the decisions that went against Barca in the first leg? Talk sense please.

well, disregarding the first part - decisions against Barcelona in the first leg are no proof that the ref was not bias towards them last night, it was a different ref.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Not an ABC, just a neutral and imo FCB put up the better performance overall last night.
    Regardless of the referees performance last night (the sending off was a travesty, as were the missed handballs) the behaviour of the 'professional' players afterwards was a disgrace to the name of such a terrific football club, and I hope those involved get their just desserts for it.

The end spoiled what had been a cracker of a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

well, disregarding the first part - decisions against Barcelona in the first leg are no proof that the ref was not bias towards them last night, it was a different ref.

Same UEFA, if this claim that there was some kind of agenda (Seriously can't believe I'm even entertaining this nonsense...) than it'd have existed in both legs and in all peoples outrage they gloss over the first leg incidents like they never happened.

Abidals sending off alone is proof there was no bias last night. They'd one legitmate penalty claim, and Barca lost a man for no reason. It happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

iregk wrote: »
    Ok now that all the ABC's have had their fun covering themselves in baby oil to have a happy **** lets get the real football discussion going.

It was hard to take and yes i was gutted but lets look at the game. Chelsea only have themselves to blame. 5 or 6 golden chances and not one of them taken, at this level you can't expect for that to go unpunished.

Of all the penalty claims I think realistically only 2 were real contenders. The rest were feeble at best. The two I'd say were Malouda and Piquet handball. Malouda's was awarded a free kick just outside the area but that was inside. Whats more baffling was the ref's position here, straing in line and he awards it outside. Suggestion around today is that the ref was under UEFA orders to have Barca in the final but really you can't rely on ref's at this stage. Had Chelsea bagged their chances then the penalty claims wouldn't be an issue.

The bahaviour of some of the Chelsea players was a disgrace. Drogba, Ballack and Bosingwa. That said I think the end has come for Drog and Ballack in blue so not really a loss there. Thing is, tempers are high and emotions are high, to avoid this, bring in the video ref, thats all football has to do and all this goes away.

As for Barca. They remind me of the Arsenal team of a few years back. Bags of possession without doing anything. Over 90mins of football they had 1 shot on target! Is this really all the best team in the world can do? Fair enough they scored it and some will say oh they hold onto the ball so well. For me a great team in Milan of the 80/90's, Ajax of the mid 90's, Cruijff's Barca. All these teams held the ball but they all had an end product. Barca flatter to decieve here. I think far too many people base great football on keeping the ball rather than being efficient with it. Chelsea had much less of teh ball but created 5 great chances. Barca had tonnes of it and Cech didn't make a single save.

Someone should take Dani Alevs out and shoot him. He was Chelsea's best player last night. Exactly what has happend to him?

The final, well I can see United beating them 2 or 3 nil to be honest. United are clinical when they get a chance, more so than Chelsea and they will keep Barca to a minimum of chances. I do expect possession to be about 60% in favour of Barca but United to take the chances they get.

Barca arent the best team in the world. United are. Its simple really.

I do think Barca were the better team over the two legs though and peopl seem to forget the penalty shout in the first leg and the red card in this one when looking back over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

iregk wrote: »
    <snip>

I'm a confirmed ABC, I can't stand the team tbh, it stems from the antics of their neanderthal fans who were so brave after they were defeated by Liverpool in the CL semi-final, they thought it was clever to threaten myself and my young son on the way down Anfield road, real class the lot of them.

Having said that, your statement above is frankly ludicrous. No end product? Are you even close to being serious? Look, Chelsea went with a very definite game plan approach to these games. It actually involved stifling the life out of the game and "stopping" Barca playing their type of football. For 180 minutes it worked, and worked pretty well tbh. As a Liverpool fan, I've seen this tactic before :D. As anybody will tell you, who has the slightest clue about soccer, it's probably the riskiest game you can play. Chelsea were caught, end off, and only have themselves to blame, but to suggest that Barca have no end product, with the likes of Messi, Eto, Henry, Iniesta, Xavi etc... romping around the pitch, is frankly laughable tbh.

Think about this, is the likes of Drogba spent as much time on his feet, as he does on his fat arse rolling around the pitch, well then the ref would not have added on so much extra time, and maybe, just maybe, Barca would not have gotten the goal. I was horse after cheering for Barca after they scored, and I also know that it will make for a better CL final, which I think they will win.

there was 3 minutes added time, 3 minutes appears to be the least amount of time added on at the end of the game so i really doubt any of Drogba's actions contributed to any more time being added on than would have been anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

There were 4 mins added time on the board, but it ended up being 7 mins with the goal celebrations and stoppages.

bantee wrote: »
    There were 4 mins added time on the board, but it ended up being 7 mins with the goal celebrations and stoppages.

ah right, thought it was 3 (must be thinking of the United vs Munich final...watched that last night). Still, the goal was scored in the third minute, so with the usual 3 minutes Barcelona still would have had the time to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Hobart wrote: »
    I'm a confirmed ABC, I can't stand the team tbh, it stems from the antics of their neanderthal fans who were so brave after they were defeated by Liverpool in the CL semi-final, they thought it was clever to threaten myself and my young son on the way down Anfield road, real class the lot of them.

I've been threatened before in Anfield, doesn't make me an ABL but thats fair enough what your saying.

I knew everyone would jump at me for saying a lack of an end product and form last night honest tell me what end product did they have? They had 1 shot on target for all that possession. Now I know they have scored a hat full of goals in earlier rounds and La Liga but I'm going on the two legs over all.

Also some attacking me for the conspiracy, if you read my post I said I disagree with it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hobart wrote: »

I can only imagine what it feels like to be threatened by thousands of football fans :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

PORNAPSTER wrote: »
    I have €12.50 on Barca not to score at 6/2 with PP. Which means it will be a 5-5 draw.
    ****e... :(

Advertisement