Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Barcelona 2nd leg (first leg 0-0 )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i really hope Uefa throw the book at them, and even maybe the PL step in and do something too. The behaviour tonight was unbelievable. True colours were shown for many imo.

Have to say I agree. The warped sense of entitlement being displayed by some of the players is breathtaking. It's a top-down thing. Basically you build a team from scratch with vast suns of money and assume that you have a divine right to success. Time for the book to be thrown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

iregk wrote: »
    They had 1 shot on target for all that possession. Now I know they have scored a hat full of goals in earlier rounds and La Liga but I'm going on the two legs over all.
    They were up against 11 of the biggest, strongest and athletic players in the world in a very defensive formation.

There's probably 3 teams in the entire world who could even dream of scoring against that team when they employ those tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

that was the refs first cl semi final .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

PiE wrote: »
    They were up against 11 of the biggest, strongest and athletic players in the world in a very defensive formation.

There's probably 3 teams in the entire world who could even dream of scoring against that team when they're employ those tactics.

Who are the three teams?

Just on a side note lads:

Anyone else hate how Andy Gray behaves like a fan on fanzone in the CL when English teams play continentals?

Even last year when VDS saved Anelkas penalty you could hear his disappointment (after he didnt say anything for about 40 seconds...) That's highly unprofessional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I cannot get over how poor Dani Alves and Samuel Eto'o were last night. Eto'o has an excuse because of Chelseas marking, but Alves was muck. Over hit pretty much all his passes and let Maouda skin him on a few occassions.

Who are the three teams?
    Right now - Man Utd, Barcelona and (like I said - probably) Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

iregk wrote: »
    I've been threatened before in Anfield, doesn't make me an ABL but thats fair enough what your saying.
    Horses for courses tbh, I wasn't really worried about myself, it was just a very frightening experience for a 6yo to go through, and I've since had him at at least 10 other CL & PL games, with nothing close to his experience, but enough of that.
    I knew everyone would jump at me for saying a lack of an end product and form last night honest tell me what end product did they have? They had 1 shot on target for all that possession. Now I know they have scored a hat full of goals in earlier rounds and La Liga but I'm going on the two legs over all.

Also some attacking me for the conspiracy, if you read my post I said I disagree with it also.
    The problem is that your judging Barca on the basis of two games. Two games where Chelsea had a very obvious game plan and a plan that worked 99.9%. I think your statement that they have no end product is just simply worng, and I think you think it aswell tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

PiE wrote: »
    Right now - Man Utd, Barcelona and (like I said - probably) Liverpool.

Lol. I knew what you were gonna say. I just wanted to hear you say it. :D

Liverpool cant break down an 11 men behind the ball Stoke... so ya really think they can break down an 11 men behind the ball Chelsea?

Chelsea when they are that defensive are so organised and dedicated that I cant blame Barca for struggling. They tried though and stuck at it which must be commended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bosingwa looking to get himself banned, or fined, maybe both.

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/19208/Chelsea_star_The_referee_was_bought.aspx
    Chelsea fullback Jose Bosingwa, still reeling from defeat against Barcelona, believes his side have been deprived of a Champions League final against Manchester United because the referee had been ‘bought’.
    Speaking to RTP the Portuguese international said: “This referee was bought. I do not know if he is a referee or a thief. There are no words to describe the person that was on the pitch here.”
    “We are all sad, but we have to raise our heads high again. There is nothing to say about Barcelona’s goal, but there were penalties that were not awarded.”
    He added: “The way he refereed the match was not the most correct one. He should never referee again.”
    Chelsea believe they should have had at least two penalties on the night, and although replays suggest they may have a point, UEFA will undoubtedly review some of their players’ behaviour in the aftermath of their exit from the Champions League. Didier Drogba and Michael Ballack will come in for the greatest scrutiny, but Captain John Terry may find himself in hot water also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Drama.

As a United fan, but more so a football fan, I'm glad Barcelona have made the final. United played a defensive leg against Barcelona last year but then tried to attack in the return leg. Chelsea played a defensive tactic for the entire tie and it back-fired.

Chelsea should have had one penalty, the handball from Picque. It's the kind of handball though that I would scream penalty if it were for my team but understand the argument that it was more a case of ball to hand than hand to ball. The other claims were even more dubious.

Abidal should give Fletcher a call and discuss their feelings at being robbed the experience of playing in the final. Neither player deserved a red card. Like Fletcher's challenge which won the ball and was never a free let alone a card, Abidal can count himself unlucky as I didn't think there was much contact at all. If there was it was minimal and occurred accidentally as happens when two players cross one another.

Ballack was a disgrace and Drogba was an insult to the game with his diving and rolling around. His actions at the end of the game were inexcusable. Understandably he was distraught at losing but turning into the camera of all places to deliver his outburst was just terrible. It made sure the audio was picked up and beamed directly to any youngster watching. Heavy fines and bans should accompany both players in my opinion.

It is a disgrace; a disgrace that a game which should be remembered for two fantastic strikes will now be remembered for the behaviour of the Chelsea players.

Liverpool cant break down an 11 men behind the ball Stoke... so ya really think they can break down an 11 men behind the ball Chelsea?
    This isn't about Liverpool. It's a list of teams right now (not 5 months ago) who could realistically score against a Chelsea team playing those tactics. I didn't say win. Am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Absolutely disgraceful conduct from Chelski last night that cannot go unpunished. In the meantime, they are on a PR crusade against UEFA.

No surprise that RTE reports this morning buying the spin 100% -- straight from the press releases on three penalties denied, etc., and clearly spending too much time lapping it up in the Stanford Bridge press room. For once, Dunphy called it right last night.

I saw a whole lot of falling down from Chelsea strikers, one clear penalty denied, and a Barca player sent off who shouldn't have been. More importantly, I saw a brilliantly sustained Barca performance that finally broke down a packed Chelsea defence. Barca: proper football from a club owned by fans and good for the game. Chelsea: spoiled, negative bruisers paid from dodgy oil money and who act like thugs when it doesn't go their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

CHD wrote: »
    They can if the ref mentions it in his report which obviously he will do. ( i think )

Drogba will get 2 matches and Ballack maybe aswell imo. Wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens. They will miss the qualifiers unless we finish 2nd so no big deal really.

Not so. Next season the top 3 qualify automatically. Only 4th place goes in the play-off.

people are saying there was like only 1 or 2 clear peno's but what about the tug on drogba shirt by abidal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Thank you Iniesta for saving me from the final from Hell, again!!!

Overall, Barca deserved it! Chelsea set out with a gameplan to just defend, which they did extremely well. If they had hung on, you couldn't argue with the result as they were resolute throughout. But the fact that Barca score is just tough sh!t on Chelsea as that is always the risk.

Another reason for loving Barca making it over Chelsea is the fact that Drogba doesn't get to play in the final. What an absolute idiot he is and i'm not even taking about him embarrassing himself at the end of the match. His performance throughout the game was disgraceful. He is more interested in falling and rolling than playing football. Absolute horrible, horrible player!

Chelsea will get a lot of fines and bans especially Drogba, Ballack and Boswinga (what a clown for saying the ref was bribed!)

Now i'm off to get a Barca jersey for the 27th!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Headshot wrote: »
    people are saying there was like only 1 or 2 clear peno's but what about the tug on drogba shirt by abidal

Why didn't he just try to score instead of diving forward onto the ground (whereas if a tug on his shirt genuinely made him fall, he'd have fallen backwards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Chelsea were robbed.

While OTT, I can totally understand the players' reactions, particularly Ballack's.

The referee should be strung up by the bollox for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Chelsea were robbed.

While OTT, I can totally understand the players' reactions, particularly Ballack's.

you can understand why a professional footballer chased and dragged out of a ref not once not twice 3 fecking times?

:rolleyes:

Chelsea were not robbed. They played a risky (and almost flawless) defensive game, Essien made one mistake and it cost them.

How can the referee be blamed for not giving Drogba a decision when all he sees during the game is Drogba trying to fool the referee into giving him free-kicks/penalties.

Boy who cried wolf etc etc.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Why didn't he just try to score instead of diving forward onto the ground (whereas if a tug on his shirt genuinely made him fall, he'd have fallen backwards)

because he wanted to influence the ref(he wanted to make it worse than it was),it was a peno for me but drogba's history went against him

ntlbell wrote: »
    you can understand why a professional footballer chased and dragged out of a ref not once not twice 3 fecking times?

:rolleyes:

Ehhh yes I can. I didn't say it was right, I said I understand why he did it. Surely you can see the difference there?

Ehhh yes I can. I didn't say it was right, I said I understand why he did it. Surely you can see the difference there?

no i can't understand it.

he's a professional footballer with years of expirence

teams are hard done by _all_ the time it's the nature of human error.

players have been lambasted on this board for clapping a ref never mind dragging out of one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Chelsea were robbed.

Ballack reacting the way he did to a ball blasted right at a player who turned his back to block it (and hit him under the armpit more so than on his arm/hand) is stupid.
    Had he reacted like he did to one of the other claims it would make more sense. But still be inexcusable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I cant believe people are trying to say that Etoos block at the end was a handball. Back of the shoulder perhaps.

Whinge whinge whinge. Chelsea need look no further than themselves. Had they come out with a better gameplan in the first leg, they would have comfortably won this tie. They didn't so tough titties.

no i can't understand it.

he's a professional footballer with years of expirence

teams are hard done by _all_ the time it's the nature of human error.

players have been lambasted on this board for clapping a ref never mind dragging out of one...

If I was in the Ballack's situation and circumstances I would have done the same, at least verbally anyway. Rightly or wrongly emotions would have taken over and that's where I'm coming from.

gimmick wrote: »
    I cant believe people are trying to say that Etoos block at the end was a handball. Back of the shoulder perhaps.

Whinge whinge whinge. Chelsea need look no further than themselves. Had they come out with a better gameplan in the first leg, they would have comfortably won this tie. They didn't so tough titties.

back of the shoulder? Nope - hit him in the arm. I do think it would have been a harsh penalty to be honest, but it certainly wasn't the back of the shoulder that was hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Listen the best team won over the 2 legs - Barcelona had twice as possession, twice as many shots on goal - what more can i say.

They also had a man sent off last night by what i can only label as a complete dive and what i find laughable is people coming on here and blaming the ref for Chelsea getting booted out of Europe. What a bunch of sore losers. I recall last week when Barca complained about the ref and all they got was - "oh ya blame the ref".

This Chelsea team is finished and thank god for that - they are an ugly side and showed that after the final whistle went and also for the previous 180 mins against the best attacking team in the world. Barcelona - we salute you for even with 10 men and nearly half their team missing they still showed they are miles better than Scunthorpe.

If I was in the Ballack's situation and circumstances I would have done the same, at least verbally anyway. Rightly or wrongly emotions would have taken over and that's where I'm coming from.

also, if ballack was 'dragging out of him', i don't think the ref would have been able to sprint away as he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Tripe.

How anyone can claim Eto'o didn't commit a foul while rushing down the ball with his arm up is unbelievable.

I would say something if the ball was rocketing towards his groin and he put his hand there to protect it, same for if it was heading for his face. Bu Eto'o had his arm up, OUT FROM his body, and the ball clattered his tricep. Had he not had his arm in that unnatural position, the ball would not have made contact with him at all.

Warper wrote: »
    Listen the best team won over the 2 legs - Barcelona had twice as possession, twice as many shots on goal - what more can i say.

Well you could say that they both scored one goal, which is what football is decided on at the end of the day.
    They also had a man sent off last night by what i can only label as a complete dive and what i find laughable is people coming on here and blaming the ref for Chelsea getting booted out of Europe. What a bunch of sore losers. I recall last week when Barca complained about the ref and all they got was - "oh ya blame the ref".

Are you for real? Most people agreed that Barca were robbed last week, in the exact same way that Chelsea were last night.
    This Chelsea team is finished and thank god for that - they are an ugly side and showed that after the final whistle went and also for the previous 180 mins against the best attacking team in the world. Barcelona - we salute you for even with 10 men and nearly half their team missing they still showed they are miles better than Scunthorpe.

Sorry buddy you don't speak for me

also, if ballack was 'dragging out of him', i don't think the ref would have been able to sprint away as he did.

he didn't grab his arm and try and pull the ref back? _theee_ times?

maybe have another look at it

a disgrace joe a bloody disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Hopefully referees report mentions physical contact from Ballack and he is banned accordingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Sorry buddy you don't speak for me[/QUOTE]

No worries - but I am so happy that Barca got to the final and now I hope that they go on to win it. I actually never minded Chelsea before this CL semi's but now I think they are an absolute disgrace and thank God they are gone. They can throw whatever money they want at this club but they wont be winning the CL for many a year to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ref should have sent Ballack off immediately, more evidence to suggest he was way out of his league.

• Advertisement

he didn't grab his arm and try and pull the ref back? _theee_ times?

maybe have another look at it

a disgrace joe a bloody disgrace.

He touched him three times, he did not grab him or try to pull him back, if he had tried, he probably would have been successfull (Ballack is a strong guy) or at least slowed the ref down. Neither happened.

He touched him three times, he did not grab him or try to pull him back, if he had tried, he probably would have been successfull (Ballack is a strong guy) or at least slowed the ref down. Neither happened.

As far as i know you can't make any physical contact with the ref..

feck clapping him gets you a card never mind "touching" him

Ahh come one Mitch, Ballack should have immediately been red carded.

You don't have to touch anyone, threatening behaviour to a player is an automatic red, to the ref it is an stone wall red and maybe 6-8 game ban + fine.

As far as i know you can't make any physical contact with the ref..

feck clapping him gets you a card never mind "touching" him

Yeah - but you don't need to exaggerate and add crap to an already poor situation by saying Ballack was dragging out of the ref or trying to pull him back.
    Boggles wrote: »
    Ahh come one Mitch, Ballack should have immediately been red carded.

You don't have to touch anyone, threatening behaviour to a player is an automatic red, to the ref it is an stone wall red and maybe 6-8 game ban + fine.
    And I have not said it was acceptable, have I? I have simply said it is wrong to say Ballack was dragging out of him. What actually happened was bad enough without people just adding crap to it.

Yeah - but you don't need to exaggerate and add crap to an already poor situation by saying Ballack was dragging out of the ref or trying to pull him back.

And I have not said it was acceptable, have I? I have simply said it is wrong to say Ballack was dragging out of him. What actually happened was bad enough without people just adding crap to it.

It's my opinion he put his hand on the arm and tried to "pull" "drag" the ref back. it's yours that he "touched" him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

wrong thread!

Bollíx, he pushed him with his chest and grabbed his shoulder. Stuck his hands and fingers in his face while shouting in his ear.

What do you want a tub of lube and a headlock?

Boggles wrote: »
    Bollíx, he pushed him with his chest and grabbed his shoulder. Stuck his hands and fingers in his face while shouting in his ear.

What do you want a tub of lube and a headlock?

lolz

i'm dumbfounded that mitch is trying to play this down.

lolz

i'm dumbfounded that mitch is trying to play this down.

I honestly thought (hoped :pac:) at the time the German was going to clock him one.

Was Terry crying again last night? he looked like he was crying at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Was Terry crying again last night? he looked like he was crying at the end.

I think he was alright. Hard to know though, could have been spit from all the screaming at the ref, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Daysha wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone confirm whether Iniesta got a yellow card for his celebration? I mean, he took his shirt off, so he should have got one, but according to the Beeb and RTE he go off scot free.

LoL

I saw this and I think it was Sylvinho who got to him first and the look on his face was like "Bollox - better cover him up before the ref see's - que massive pileup"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

CHD wrote: »
    They can if the ref mentions it in his report which obviously he will do. ( i think )

Drogba will get 2 matches and Ballack maybe aswell imo. Wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens. They will miss the qualifiers unless we finish 2nd so no big deal really.

Gotta understand there frustrations though. Huge deal just cause Drogba went mad :rolleyes: .

Top 3 go right into the group stage from now on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

ok the ball hits the underside of etoos arm.

to say the gameplan in the first leg was bad. United did the same last year and it worked. not trying to start anything but do you think that sort of ****e would have went on at OT last night. Not a chance of it, penalties would have been rewarded without doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Guardiola even said after the game that Chelsea just chose to defend even when Barca went down to 10 men for the last half-hour. I have no sympathy for them and I dont think Pep does either. They had 30mins to use the player advantage and kill off the game and to be frank they didnt seem to bothered and looked happy to allow Barca keep possession and chance their luck they could hold out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement