Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Barcelona 2nd leg (first leg 0-0 )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

redout wrote: »
    Hang on a minute. United nor Chelsea did not let Barca have possession. They simply couldnt get the ball themselves.

I don't agree.

I think the tactic was let them have the ball and play in front of us. They won't create anything and we'll beat them by scoring on the break.

That's exactly what happened when they played United last year and would have been for Chelsea if Drogba had put away his first half chance last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

So, your saying willingly give your opponent possession and hope to beat them on the counter.

Thats a tactic employed by a side who know they dont have much hope getting the ball in the first place.

As for them not creating anything ? The stats say they had 34 shots over the two legs. They didnt score but one cant say they didnt create.

Champion League semi-final 1st leg
    Barca v Man Utd
    Wednesday April 23, 2008

72.8% - Possession - 27.2%
    20 - Shots - 7
    6 - On target - 1
    1- Saves - 0
    8 - Corners - 3
    20 - Fouls - 10
    0 - Offsides - 3
    1 - Yellow cards - 1

Champion League semi-final 2nd leg
    Man Utd v Barca
    Tuesday April 29, 2008

37.6% - Possession - 62.4%
    8 - Shots - 14
    2 - On target - 3
    2 - Saves - 1
    5 - Corners - 4
    12 - Fouls - 18
    4 - Offsides - 1
    2 - Yellow cards - 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Arrogant much. The way I see it is fairly simple. We have a much better defence, you have a much better attack. The midfield is even with Essien and Xavi effectively able to walk into any team in the world and Iniesta and Lampard cancelling each other out and that's being generous. Both keepers are crap, Cech just doesn't have it anymore, Valdes was never close to his level.

What I think it will come down to is the managers and that's why I think we will get a result. While Pep has done a phenomenal job in his first year he has no experience and everything has been smooth sailing for him. He hasn't had to make many, if any, hard managerial changes when faced with an obstacle because Barca have only encountered one this season, Chelsea, and Pep did nothing to change the way they worked in that match. Hiddink on the other hand has faced better teams than Barcelona.He knows how Spanish teams work, he's managed them before while Pep has never even worked in England.

Also, must be said that this thread really paints Barca fans in a new light
    A) I'm a long suffering Newcastle fan / Madrid sympathiser

B) What team has Gus faced that are better than this Barcelona team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't agree.

I think the tactic was let them have the ball and play in front of us. They won't create anything and we'll beat them by scoring on the break.

i agree, this was exactly the tactic. . .after they took off lampard for beletti (i think???) with 20ish minutes left in the game!

imagine playing 5 in midfield and not being able to get a sniff of the ball. my only fear for barca would be defensive mistakes

ah chelsea will probably win on penos

So, your saying willingly give your opponent possession and hope to beat them on the counter.

Yeah that's what I'm saying alright.
    Thats a tactic employed by a side who know they dont have much hope getting the ball in the first place.

I bow to your greater tactical knowledge here.

Silly me for judging the merits and success of a tactic on the team who actually won the tie.
    As for them not creating anything ? The stats say they had 34 shots over the two legs. They didnt score but one cant say they didnt create.

I do say they didn't create. At least, I don't remember any incidences of them carving the defence open. I'd wager the vast majority of those shots were speculative efforts from long range coming after long periods of ineffectual passing moves across and in front of the United defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Arrogant much. The way I see it is fairly simple. We have a much better defence, you have a much better attack. The midfield is even with Essien and Xavi effectively able to walk into any team in the world and Iniesta and Lampard cancelling each other out and that's being generous. Both keepers are crap, Cech just doesn't have it anymore, Valdes was never close to his level.

What I think it will come down to is the managers and that's why I think we will get a result. While Pep has done a phenomenal job in his first year he has no experience and everything has been smooth sailing for him. He hasn't had to make many, if any, hard managerial changes when faced with an obstacle because Barca have only encountered one this season, Chelsea, and Pep did nothing to change the way they worked in that match. Hiddink on the other hand has faced better teams than Barcelona.He knows how Spanish teams work, he's managed them before while Pep has never even worked in England.

Also, must be said that this thread really paints Barca fans in a new light

You're right that is being generous. Iniesta has a better passing range and is a frighteningly good dribbler for a central midfielder. I don't mean to take away from Lampard here, I think it was criminal that he wasn't even nominated for the PFA award.

As for the match itself, I only caught the second half of El Classico (I was at another derby in Croke Park) but when Barcelona play like that its hard to imagine a scenario where they won't win. However, this is what I thought before the first leg as well.

I think it might have been Souness making the point that the pitch at Stamford Bridge is smaller, and this won't allow Barca the space that they need to find their rhythm and will allow Chelsea to close them down quicker. I'm not actually sure as to the difference in the dimensions of the two pitches, as television can be very misleading in this respect and I've only been once in the Nou Camp and never in Stamford Bridge, but I think this is a valid point. On a narrow pitch, Barca won't be able to release Messi or have Alves overlap as effectively, and will lead to them playing a lot more down the middle where Essien and co. will find it far easier to break up their attacks.

theteal wrote: »
    imagine playing 5 in midfield and not being able to get a sniff of the ball.

It's not like they had five players out in the middle of the park scrapping for the ball though.

They had five men sitting deep, playing a containment game. Having a large amount of possession is not necessary for that tactic to be effective.

In fact, allowing yourself to be dragged out of position to attempt to win the ball is counterproductive in a setup like this.

Yeah that's what I'm saying alright.

I bow to your greater tactical knowledge here.

Silly me for judging the merits and success of a tactic on the team who actually won the tie.

I do say they didn't create. At least, I don't remember any incidences of them carving the defence open. I'd wager the vast majority of those shots were speculative efforts from long range coming after long periods of ineffectual passing moves across and in front of the United defence.

Dont kid yourself man. We won the tie because of a single moment of brilliance by Scholes who hit an unstoppable shot. We certainly were outplayed over the both legs and only our defence pulled us through. Any United fan who claims we were the better side over the two legs is lost in space ! We showed we had a strong defence while Barca showed they had a strong midfield/attack .

Apart from Scholes moment of brilliance we didnt really offer a whole lot attack-wise. Probably to do with fact we didnt have a whole lot of the ball. I have to add your tactical assumption is flawed. Maybe the first leg that was the plan but in the second leg at old trafford you really believe Fergie wanted us to give Barca possession with the tie at 0-0 knowing one goal from them automatically requiring two from us. I dont think so. No way I could believe our manager would willingly put us is such a dangerous / suicidal position.

The plan at old trafford was obviously to get on the ball a lot more than the 1st leg which we did and try score a goal.

carlop wrote: »

I think it might have been Souness making the point that the pitch at Stamford Bridge is smaller, and this won't allow Barca the space that they need to find their rhythm and will allow Chelsea to close them down quicker. I'm not actually sure as to the difference in the dimensions of the two pitches, as television can be very misleading in this respect and I've only been once in the Nou Camp and never in Stamford Bridge, but I think this is a valid point. On a narrow pitch, Barca won't be able to release Messi or have Alves overlap as effectively, and will lead to them playing a lot more down the middle where Essien and co. will find it far easier to break up their attacks.

The Camp Nou is a good 5m longer than Stamford bridge although the bridge is 1m wider than the Camp Nou.

Edit: Old Trafford and the Camp Nou seemingly have identical pitch dimensions

105m x 68m

Stamford bridge is 100m x 69m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i must retract my Terry Henry out for 2 weeks post as Sport have had to retract their main story. . .he's traveling, he's in the squad, is it mind games? does it matter?

Come on Barca!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If Chelsea score first I think it will be a low scoring affair, with Chelsea probably edging it.

If Barca score first I think we'll see a lot more goals as Chelsea will need to attack and Barca won't want to sit back.

Very difficult to call and I'd Like to see Barcelona win as they play some brilliant football but I can see Chelsea edging it, likely scoring form a set piece.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

theteal wrote: »
    i must retract my Terry Henry out for 2 weeks post as Sport have had to retract their main story. . .he's traveling, he's in the squad, is it mind games? does it matter?

Come on Barca!

No you done no bad man.

Sport said this morning he would be out for 2 weeks.

Then they changed that and said he would be travelling whilst still getting treatment.

Sky also reported Henry would be out for 2 weeks.

He had an ice-pack on his knee the moment he came off against Real Madrid on saturday night and seemingly there is bruising to the knee which is causing concerm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United were happy to let Barca pass it around outside of the final third, but once it got into that area, Barca we're closed down incredibly quickly. There's no point in trying to get the ball back off them when its not in your final third, because Barca prioritise possession above all else, and they will keep it between the back 6 with great ease, then tire you out, then hit you later in the game.

It doesn't make sense to close them down constantly imo, unless you can do it so well that they get put under pressure and start to **** up [something Liverpool are particuarly good at]

The best tactic against them is to let them have 60-70% possession, but once they get into your final third, really close them down and win the ball back. Then hit them constantly on the break.

It can work and it worked for United.

If United and Chelsea were really trying to get the ball back, I'd be shocked if Barca could manage above 60-40 possession. However I'd also be quite sure that Barca would win that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

kinaldo wrote: »

B) What team has Gus faced that are better than this Barcelona team?

Off the top of my head.

World champions Italy in the 2006 World Cup when they were shamed out of a match by a dubious penalty (and I say this as an Italian fan)

The Benfica team that got to two Champions league finals in a row

The Brazillian team of 98 which bookended the intervening world cups with wins

The Spanish, Portuguese and Italian teams of 2002 were so much better than his Korea team.

There are almost certainly more. this Barca team is overrated. They're incredibly free scoring and great to watch but statistically, La Liga is not the hardest to score in. They have clear weaknesses at the back and lack strength in depth there and Valdes (although he could have improved this season, I haven't seen much of him) is an error waiting to happen. Fair play for dismantling Real but it's only one match and Liverpool did something similar.

Off the top of my head.

World champions Italy in the 2006 World Cup when they were shamed out of a match by a dubious penalty (and I say this as an Italian fan)

The Benfica team that got to two Champions league finals in a row

The Brazillian team of 98 which bookended the intervening world cups with wins

The Spanish, Portuguese and Italian teams of 2002 were so much better than his Korea team.

There are almost certainly more.
    Italy 2006 - the worst team to ever win a World Cup, none of their attacking players, Pirlo included, would get in this Barca team. Even defensive lynchpin Materazzi might struggle.

Benfica - you say they're BETTER than this Barca team??? Seriously, name a few of their players if you can. I'm too young to remember.

Brazil - would an ageing Edmundo and seriously ageing Bebeto and Dunga even come close to getting in this Barca team? Or players like Ze Roberto and Denilson. Hardly.

As for Spain and Italy being better than Korea, well if Barca have two perfectly good goals chalked off by a linesman on Wednesday.. well that might be your best bet.

Please go on!

• Advertisement

Dont kid yourself man. We won the tie because of a single moment of brilliance by Scholes who hit an unstoppable shot. We certainly were outplayed over the both legs and only our defence pulled us through. Any United fan who claims we were the better side over the two legs is lost in space ! We showed we had a strong defence while Barca showed they had a strong midfield/attack .

We also missed a penalty in the away game don't forget. Saying we won the tie based on a single moment of brilliance, while true-ish, is also fairly misleading.

In actual fact we won the tie because we managed one moment of brilliance more than Barcelona.

That's the vital point - you make it sound as though we had our one moment in the midst of Barcelona spinning out magical movements all over the place, when in fact they had no moment of brilliance at all.

They certainly didn't create any chances that were more scorable than the penalty we missed.
    I have to add your tactical assumption is flawed. Maybe the first leg that was the plan but in the second leg at old trafford you really believe Fergie wanted us to give Barca possession with the tie at 0-0 knowing one goal from them automatically requiring two from us. I dont think so. No way I could believe our manager would willingly put us is such a dangerous / suicidal position.

The plan at old trafford was obviously to get on the ball a lot more than the 1st leg which we did and try score a goal.

Yeah you're right the tactics would have been different for the second leg alright. IIRC we actually had at least equal possession of the ball in the early stages of that game, then Paul Scholes got his great goal so we were able to switch back to the containment game again.

That's exactly how it panned out imo.

Italy 2006 - the worst team to ever win a World Cup, none of their attacking players, Pirlo included, would get in this Barca team. Even defensive lynchpin Materazzi might struggle.

Benfica - you say they're BETTER than this Barca team??? Seriously, name a few of their players if you can. I'm too young to remember.

Brazil - would an ageing Edmundo and seriously ageing Bebeto and Dunga even come close to getting in this Barca team? Or players like Ze Roberto and Denilson. Hardly.

As for Spain and Italy being better than Korea, well if Barca have two perfectly good goals chalked off by a linesman on Wednesday.. well that might be your best bet.

Please go on!

Well he matched up against Barcelona away from home last week and he didn't exactly get his ass handed to him did he?

Well he matched up against Barcelona away from home last week and he didn't exactly get his ass handed to him did he?
    Not yet, but it was a little one sided I thought.

Not yet, but it was a little one sided I thought.

Meh, if the home team fail to score despite 70% of possession or whatever I start to have my doubts about whether or not they might be a touch overrated.

Calling a game "one sided" is just a way of making yourself feel better when your team fail to do the business.

Meh, if the home team fail to score despite 70% of possession or whatever I start to have my doubts about whether or not they might be a touch overrated.

Calling a game "one sided" is just a way of making yourself feel better when your team fail to do the business.
    Lol, yes I feel so much better. Once again, Barcelona are not MY team. Far from it in fact.

• Advertisement

Lol, yes I feel so much better. Once again, Barcelona are not MY team. Far from it in fact.

The point still stands, saying "one sided" just skirts around the issue of one team having all the ball without being effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

mayordenis wrote: »
    Dropsy hasn't bullied anyone in a long time,
    He's run his race a long time ago.

I don't particularily buy this chelsea superior defence stuff either, chelsea's centre backs are all pretty slow, and if they have to move out of there comfort zone they will get assaulted, anything except to banks of 4 and it's good night and season over for chelsea, in my opinion of course.
    Xavi, Iniesta, Toure or Lampard, Ballack, Essien. Essien maybe edges Toure out, maybe. The other 2 is a non-event.
    Cech had his best game of the season at the Nou Camp, He'll need to top that during the week.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Toure isn't half the player Essien is imo.

The point still stands, saying "one sided" just skirts around the issue of one team having all the ball without being effective.
    They were only let down by their finishing in the end. See Bojan's point blank header miss. So it was a rare off day for a team that has already scored a phenomenal 148 goals this season.

Hang on. Every one of their defenders and Gigi would get into the Barca team, only close one is Zambrotta and Alves and the starting CBs were Nesta and Cannavaro, Nesta just got injured. That Toni offered more than today's Henry but wouldn't exactly fit the system. In the midfield, that Pirlo and Xavi are impossible to choose between but Totti was much better than Iniesta, combining his passing guile with a genuine eye for goal and Gattuso is better than Toure not to mention the whole team gelled perfectly together, from front to back and had infinite more strength in depth (which you'd expect from a national team in fairness)

Hang on. Every one of their defenders and Gigi would get into the Barca team, only close one is Zambrotta and Alves and the starting CBs were Nesta and Cannavaro, Nesta just got injured. That Toni offered more than today's Henry but wouldn't exactly fit the system. In the midfield, that Pirlo and Xavi are impossible to choose between but Totti was much better than Iniesta, combining his passing guile with a genuine eye for goal and Gattuso is better than Toure not to mention the whole team gelled perfectly together, from front to back and had infinite more strength in depth (which you'd expect from a national team in fairness)
    Yes I think I forgot that you're the one who thinks half the Inter team would walk into Man Utd's team.

Whatever then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

wouldn't agree with this. iniesta today is a better player than the totti of 2006. true totti had a better eye for goal but assists and goals combined with more defensive cover from iniesta would imo make him better.

however totti in his golden days was quite simply world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Come on you Mighty Blues!!

If Nic Anelka and Drogba play up front like they did on Saturday and they get some supply, it'll be game over.

Kirnsy wrote: »
    wouldn't agree with this. iniesta today is a better player than the totti of 2006. true totti had a better eye for goal but assists and goals combined with more defensive cover from iniesta would imo make him better.

however totti in his golden days was quite simply world class.

Totti peaked the nest season winning the golden boot from the number 10 position

kleefarr wrote: »
    Come on you Mighty Blues!!

If Nic Anelka and Drogba play up front like they did on Saturday and they get some supply, it'll be game over.

I would have money on more of the same from Chelse at least for the first 45-60mins.

Highly doubt both Drogba and Anelka will start.

The Cannavaro of 2006 would walk into any team. Grosso would get ahead of Abidal, Gattuso of 06 would get ahead of Toure, as would De Rossi, and it would be hard to pick between 06 Pirlo and Xavi. Buffon was, and still is, streets ahead of Valdes. Oh and calling Materazzi the defensive lynchpin for that Italian side is just wrong. In those 7 matches, Cannavaro gave a defensive display that may never be bettered.

Edit: Only just realised Kinaldo said attacking players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Totti peaked the nest season winning the golden boot from the number 10 position

fair point but I was taking the totti from the WC 06 as your example. in fairness though he was half crocked. however i do believe that iniesta is one of the top 5 midfielders in the game at the moment and a simply brilliant footballer that'll give chelsea serious problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Everyone in here actually needs to stfu. Barca not scoring with over 70% of possession makes them overrated? Maybe you should wait until the tie is over before making comments like that, what if they go on to win the CL this year? Will you still say that they are overrated because of that one game. Some Barca supporters are saying silly things to, this tie is in NO way heavily in favour of Barcelona. It is clearly advantage Chelsea, the only way it'll go Barca's way is IF they score a goal or two.

Barcelona are on a high, after what may be one of the greatest victories in the entire clubs history. They will be playing with an extra bit of zip hopefully, meaning we'll see a really good game. Chelsea are a different animal, and won't be willing to engage in a basketball to and fro kind of attacking game because they know they'll lose. They'll play the same way as last week, keeping it tight at the back, and hoping for a counter attack/ defensive error causing a goal.

I still predict 2-2 draw, with Chelsea scoring the first goal of the game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

eZe^ wrote: »
    Everyone in here actually needs to stfu. Barca not scoring with over 70% of possession makes them overrated? Maybe you should wait until the tie is over before making comments like that, what if they go on to win the CL this year? Will you still say that they are overrated because of that one game. Some Barca supporters are saying silly things to, this tie is in NO way heavily in favour of Barcelona. It is clearly advantage Chelsea, the only way it'll go Barca's way is IF they score a goal or two.

Barcelona are on a high, after what may be one of the greatest victories in the entire clubs history. They will be playing with an extra bit of zip hopefully, meaning we'll see a really good game. Chelsea are a different animal, and won't be willing to engage in a basketball to and fro kind of attacking game because they know they'll lose. They'll play the same way as last week, keeping it tight at the back, and hoping for a counter attack/ defensive error causing a goal.

At last a reasonble post! Cheers Eze! I'd agree with that. The tie at the moment is in Chelsea's favour but it is far from over. I do think if Chelsea score first it's game over though...

I dont agree with it being in Chelsea's favour to be honest.

2nd legs in Europe tied at 0-0 an no away goal are hardly favourable conditions for the home side.

Hence the importance of always scoring a vital away goal as it more often than not comes back to haunt you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The one thing you can't call it however is a "match up".

As for those who say Barcelona are over-rated.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I don't know why people call Barcelona the greatest team in Europe. They have failed to beat English opponents in their last 3 attempts, 2 at Nou Camp. Last win was against Arsenal in the final, who were down to 10 men.

Man Utd are the reigning champions, and still in it, so shouldn't they be the best? League form really doesn't count in Europe.

I predict this 1 - 1, Barcelona to score first and then Chelsea to equalise. Barca to go through on penalties.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I don't know why people call Barcelona the greatest team in Europe. They have failed to beat English opponents in their last 3 attempts, 2 at Nou Camp. Last win was against Arsenal in the final, who were down to 10 men.

Man Utd are the reigning champions, and still in it, so shouldn't they be the best? League form really doesn't count in Europe.

I predict this 1 - 1, Barcelona to score first and then Chelsea to equalise. Barca to go through on penalties.

I feel like I should go searching for a facepalm image but its late and I need some sleep...

The first leg was 0-0. If it finishes 1-1 tomorrow barca go through on away goals.

eZe^ wrote: »

I don't think that's why they're overated. I think that people's belief here that they're going to cakewalk this tie makes them overated on the board regardless of the result tommorow. Either Chelsea are being underated or Barca are being overrated. The gulf is not that big if there's a gulf at all particularly with barca missing Marquez and Puyol.

I normally like your and Redout's posts but before this one it was just all Liverpool-esque nonsense.

The fact is that Chelsea away is by far Barca's toughest game this season after a really really easy draw to get to this stage and a league that looks really weak this season and if the players go in showing the lack of respect that their fans are they will lose without a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I don't know why people call Barcelona the greatest team in Europe. They have failed to beat English opponents in their last 3 attempts, 2 at Nou Camp.

There not, United are.

Barca have won nothing in 3 seasons, to earn the title the greatest team in Europe you quite frankly have to win titles.

The question is are Barcalona about to overtake United as the greatest team at the moment in Europe, this season would suggest maybe, but tommorow will go along way in determining that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I dont agree with it being in Chelsea's favour to be honest.

2nd legs in Europe tied at 0-0 an no away goal are hardly favourable conditions for the home side.

Hence the importance of always scoring a vital away goal as it more often than not comes back to haunt you.

66% of teams that get a 0-0 draw away from home in the first leg go through based on CL stats so historically it is in Chelsea's favour. Of course that doesnt mean that Barca wont go through. It will be a very tight game with Chelsea being only slightly more adventurous than last week. If Barca score first then the game will open up. Barca's main weakness is dealing with crosses, set-pieces of which Chelsea are very strong in these areas. Barca will need to be more precise in the final third this week as they were poor in this area last week.

The smaller pitch will also favour Chelsea and obviously the fact that Puyol and Marquez are missing. Henry is also a doubt and would be another blow but it really is a fascinating tie and i cant wait for this one. BTW i had a dream last night about this match (sad isnt it) and Barca were 1-0 up at half-time but ended up losing 2-1 with Drogba scoring with the last kick of the game in the 91st minute. Actually it was more of a nightmare.

BIG MATCH STATS
    FC Barcelona and Chelsea are playing against each other for the 10th time in the Champions League.

They also met in the semi-finals of the 1965-66 Fairs Cup. Barca proceeded to the final after a 5-0 win in the decisive match at home. Both clubs had won their regular home ties 2-0.

In total, Barcelona have won five of the 12 matches played against Chelsea with the Londoners winning four.

Both clubs have progressed twice in their four previous knock-out match-ups in the CL.

Barcelona have failed to beat Chelsea in their last four matches. This is their joint longest current winless run against a club in the Champions League/Champions Cup. They have also not won in their last four matches against Manchester United.

Barca's last win against Chelsea was on 22 February 2006; 1-2 at Stamford Bridge. This is Chelsea's only home defeat in 11 matches against Spanish clubs; seven of those matches have been won.

Chelsea's last two home matches against Spanish clubs resulted in draws, 1-1 and 0-0, both against Valencia.

Barcelona have lost 15 of their 29 away matches against English clubs. They have won six and drawn eight. Their last win on English soil was on 6 March 2007, at Liverpool (0-1).

In the last four CL seasons Barcelona have been eliminated by Chelsea (2004-05), Liverpool (2006-07) and Manchester United (2007-08). In the 2005-06 season they won the CL final against Arsenal 2-1.

In the 2-2 draw between Barcelona and Chelsea on 31 October 2006, 10 players received a yellow card. The record number of yellow cards in a CL match is 11.

CLUB FORM
    CHELSEA

Reached the semi-finals of the CL for the third consecutive season and the fifth time in the last six seasons.

Have a 66.8% chance of progressing after their 0-0 away leg with FC Barcelona, taking into account all 0-0 first leg results in European competition.

Have successfully negotiated the only CL knock-out-round in which they started with a 0-0 away draw in the first leg. In the 2007-08 CL season they drew 0-0 at Olympiacos before winning 3-0 at home in the last 16.

Not lost any of their last 17 home matches in the CL. Their last defeat was the match against Barcelona on 22 February 2006 (1-2).

BARCELONA

Reached the CL semi-finals for a record equalling sixth time and for the second time in succession.

Can suffer their 100th defeat in all European competitions (won 238, drawn 101, lost 99).

Have a 33.2% chance of progressing after their 0-0 home leg with Chelsea, taking into account all 0-0 first leg results in European competition.

Last season they were eliminated by Manchester United after drawing 0-0 at home and losing 1-0 away in the first leg of the CL semi-finals.

They have not lost their last five CL away matches.

Two goals shy of Real Madrid's record total of 850 scored in all European competitions.

KEY PLAYER NOTES
    Didier DROGBA received a red card in Barcelona's 2-1 win over Chelsea in the first leg of the last 16 tie in 2004-05.

Frank LAMPARD has five assists this CL season.

BELLETTI (2004-2007) and DECO (2004-2008) won the Champions League with FC Barcelona. Ricardo QUARESMA (2003-04) also played for the Spanish club.

Petr CECH and Nicolas ANELKA have played in all of Chelsea's 11 CL matches this season.

Ashley COLE returns from suspension. ANELKA, Michael BALLACK and ALEX will be suspended if booked.

Barcelona's Lionel MESSI is the top scorer in this season's Champions League with eight goals from 10 matches.

With six assists, XAVI is joint assist leader this CL season together with Bayern Munich's Franck RIBERY.

Eidur GUDJOHNSEN played for Chelsea from 2000 until 2006. He played four matches against Barcelona as a Chelsea player and scored once, on 8 March 2005. That was in a 4-2 win at Stamford Bridge.

Dani ALVES will celebrate his 26th birthday on the day of the match.

Carles PUYOL is suspended. ALVES and Sergio BUSQUETS will face suspension if booked.

OTHER MISCELLANEOUS FACTS
    Barcelona's coach Josep Guardiola played for Barcelona in their 5-1 win against Chelsea after extra time in the 1999-2000 quarter-finals after losing the away match 3-1 in London.

FC Barcelona are on a CL record running streak of 104 CL matches without receiving a red card. The last Barca player to be sent off in a CL match was current coach Josep Guardiola in the away match against Brondby on 9 December 1998.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

FC Barcelona are on a CL record running streak of 104 CL matches without receiving a red card. The last Barca player to be sent off in a CL match was current coach Josep Guardiola in the away match against Brondby on 9 December 1998.

Very interesting. He was "sent off" against Bayern as well.

Chelsea squad (provisional): Cech, Hilario, Belletti, Bosingwa, A Cole, Terry, Alex, Ivanovic, Lampard, Obi, Ballack, Essien, Kalou, Malouda, Drogba, Anelka, Stoch, Di Santo, Mancienne.

Barcelona squad: Valdés, Jorquera, Pinto, Alves, Víctor Sánchez, Piqué, Cáceres, Abidal, Sylvinho, Touré Yaya, Keita, Busquets, Gudjohnsen, Xavi, Iniesta, Hleb, Bojan, Henry, Eto'o, Messi, Pedro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I have a feeling Henry wont play - it seems a bit suss that first of all he is supposed to be out for 2 weeks and then voila he is back in the squad. Seems they are just trying to confuse Hiddink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Talk of Touré dropping to CB...I hope not...Be intresting to see how Barca try their passing game on our tiny pitch.Both teams to score,Drogba to get two and win it for us:D

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »
    I have a feeling Henry wont play - it seems a bit suss that first of all he is supposed to be out for 2 weeks and then voila he is back in the squad. Seems they are just trying to confuse Hiddink.

I dont know about that. I saw him on the tv walk off the plane in London earlier then walk through the terminal unaided and he looked fine. Make of that what you will.

Soby wrote: »
    Talk of Touré dropping to CB...I hope not...Be intresting to see how Barca try their passing game on our tiny pitch.Both teams to score,Drogba to get two and win it for us:D

The bridge is 1m wider than the Camp Nou !

Shorter in length though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

The bridge is 1m wider than the Camp Nou !

Shorter in length though.

Wow it is and all..wouldnt have thoguht that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

According to Graham Hunter on both Revista last night and on Newstalk this morning, Chelsea were practising penalties for the latter stage of their last training session.

Barca for their part had a strange one, in that the attacking players were told go out and do as they wish, while the defensive players were put through an entire session of defending set plays and high balls into the box.

Following the elation of Saturday night I have a feeling Chelseaare going to hurt Barca and run out 3-1 winners having fallen behind early on :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Any players on yellows for this one? If so who...

sorry i see above now..

ANELKA, Michael BALLACK and ALEX will be suspended if booked.
    ALVES and Sergio BUSQUETS will face suspension if booked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement