Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Barcelona 2nd leg (first leg 0-0 )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Boggles wrote: »

Looks visibly depressed. Shattered even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Goal of the season from Essien btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Goal of the season from Essien btw

better than utd's 12 second goal ?

poor fella looks gutted

iv alot of time for Frank top professional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Headshot wrote: »
    better than utd's 12 second goal ?

Ridiculous left foot volley from outside the box that goes in off the underside of the bar pwns all imo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ridiculous left foot volley from outside the box that goes in off the underside of the bar pwns all imo

it was a superb goal alright

im sticking with the 12 sec goal anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I honestly thought (hoped :pac:) at the time the German was going to clock him one.

If the ref had have been as skilled as Drogba at "drawing" the free he would have known enough to stop running, Ballack would wollop into the back of him because of momentum,and there you have it, both on the ground and obviously the ref would have a horrible career threatening injury, you know the type that Drogba gets about 21 times a game.

By the way, Essien and Inestas goals are both contenders for goals of the season, Essiens for absolute audacity and Inestas for sheer ice-coolness considering the finish and timing.

last nights ref has had to be smuggled out of the country

the death threats are starting already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,460 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

last nights ref has had to be smuggled out of the country

the death threats are starting already

as a lad on AHFC said yesterday, its the guys postman i fell sorry for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

How anyone could support the likes of Drogba or Ballack is beyond me. They acted like kids and unfortunately will be imitated like kids around the world. These guys aren't kids though, they are professionals and should have more cop on.

Then again, soccer needs to change it's rules and have a governing body that can overturn refs decisions and use video playback...

Also I'm glad it's not an all-england final. Hopefully it will be more entertaining this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Tom Henning Ovrebo the ref was useless

Chelesa played better and should have made the final and i am saying this as a MU fan

Yes Ballack and Drogba were terrible in their behaviour

Abidal shouldve of been sent for the pulling of drogba's shirt in the box

so the ref tried to level out the decisions last night

Have never liked this attitude of "Oh a pro does it so all the kids will be doing the same on Sunday..." It is rubbish imo. I don't think there will be kids going "oh - if Drogba can say that then it must be ok", if there are it is more down to poor parenting than Drogba.

The only things I ever tried to imitate were the skills players did, or a style of play - and being a United fan, the upturned collar. Failed them all apart form the collar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

attachment.php?attachmentid=662&d=1241701162

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    attachment.php?attachmentid=662&d=1241701162

can't see the image - it is an attachment you are linking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Weird. I can see it. Never mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

gimmick wrote: »
    Weird. I can see it. Never mind
    That's because you're logged into barcaforum. You can save it and host it somewhere else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

post-607-1241692388_thumb.jpg

post-607-1241692874_thumb.jpg

I can't figure which one of these I prefer :D

Strange how Abidal in the first half was stronger than 3-4 stewards, Hiddink and however many backroom staff at the end of the game to get Drogba to the floor. Didier obviously showed remarkable strength at the end to stay on his feet :D
    CL Special: There Is No Barcelona-Chelsea Conspiracy
    Goal.com

“When people say it's all very suspicious then I get rather angry,” roared Guus Hiddink on June 23, 2002.

“Italy and Spain should look at themselves and their shortcomings rather than the referee’s.

“It's easy to go on blaming referees or linesmen. Of course they make mistakes, but coaches make mistakes, players make mistakes, and the press make mistakes. They go for you and against you.”

If you haven’t already worked it out, this was then South Korea coach Hiddink’s angry response following widespread claims that there had been a conspiracy at the 2002 World Cup to send his co-hosts through at the expense of Italy, Spain and, to a lesser extent, Portugal.

The 2002 World Cup has gone down in footballing infamy, and indeed the majority of supporters in Italy and Spain refuse to even acknowledge that tournament’s legality. The Azzurri had five perfectly good goals disallowed in three games for non-existent offsides, while they were eliminated by Hiddink’s Korea in the second round after an extra time Golden Goal. During that clash, Ecuadorian referee Byron Moreno awarded Korea a questionable penalty, harshly sent off Francesco Totti for diving, and disallowed a good Damiano Tommasi Golden Goal. Spain were the next victims of Korea in the quarter final, losing on penalties after they had had two legitimate strikes chalked off.

Fast forward seven years to May 6, 2009. Hiddink, now interim manager of Chelsea, had just been denied a place in the Champions League final following a dramatic injury time equaliser by Barcelona’s Andres Iniesta in West London.

In the post-match interview, Hiddink, referring to five penalty claims that were turned down by referee Tom Henning Ovrebo, clearly implied on both English and Italian television that there may have been a sinister plot by those in positions of power.

“I won't say what we really feel, but it's an injustice. It's not just one doubtful call. Ask the people who put the referee in charge of this game,” the Dutchman moaned to Sky Sports.

“When all these things happen, then you start thinking,” he added to Sky Italia.

I know what I'm thinking Guus, and it is not conspiracy, but hypocrisy. The regularity and enormity of the events at the 2002 World Cup were more than enough to form a conspiracy theory, yet Hiddink shrugged them off as Italian and Spanish sour grapes. What took place last night at Stamford Bridge was just plain bad officiating that penalised both sides in equal measure.

Of the five incidents that Chelsea have complained about, only one was a penalty – the clear handball by Gerard Pique. Dani Alves’ obstruction on Florent Malouda may have been inside the area, but obstruction is only a penalty offence when it is really serious, and this was not. The same can be said for Eric Abidal’s slight pull of Didier Drogba’s shirt before half time, which preceded a one second delay before the Ivorian catapulted himself onto the floor like he’d caught the plague.

In the episode involving Drogba and Yaya Toure on 56 minutes, both players were wrestling each other, and even if Kolo’s younger brother did draw back the Chelsea hitman, it was well outside the area. When the two players entered the box, Toure won the ball with a fair tackle. Finally, regarding Michael Ballack’s last-gasp appeal against Samuel Eto’o, the Cameroonian may have had his arm higher than usual, but it was clearly ball-to-hand (the very top of his arm and back), while he also had his back turned. FIFA’s ‘Laws of the Game’ are crystal clear on this.

It is amusing that Chelsea have conveniently overlooked the fact that Abidal was wrongly red carded on 65 minutes for a ‘professional foul’ when Anelka had tripped over his own feet. This forced Barcelona to chase the last 25 minutes of the game with just 10 men. As a result the space opened up for Chelsea on the counter-attack, and it was only after this dismissal that the stonewall Pique penalty incident occurred. It is also peculiar how Chelsea have discarded the performance of referee Wolfgang Stark in the first leg at Camp Nou. During that game, Stark waved away an excellent Thierry Henry penalty shout, failed to send off Michael Ballack, and also harshly booked Carles Puyol, forcing Barcelona to play a left back at centre back, and a centre midfielder at left back last night.

Over the course of the two ties, the appalling refereeing decisions evened themselves out. Had Iniesta not scored that late goal, it would have been Barcelona doing the complaining, just like they did after the first leg when coach Pep Guardiola sniped that “referees need to take a look at themselves”, and Eto’o sarcastically shrugged that “you’d have to ask the referee about his controversial performance.”

The red card of Abidal would have killed many lesser sides, but not Barcelona, who actually continued to dominate possession despite being a man short. Hiddink may have chosen the right tactics against Barcelona over two legs, and Chelsea are undoubtedly unlucky to go out, but it must also be recognised just how negative the Blues were in both legs. It was Catenaccio stuff that would have had Helenio Herrera dancing around in his grave.

When Hiddink’s Australia were defeated by Italy in the second round of the 2006 World Cup, the Dutchman remarked after the game, “We tried to play another style, a style that is more attractive for the spectators to see. The Italians wanted to play defensively, they love to play with a wall - they don’t think about attractive football, they just think about the result.”

Like your Chelsea side in both legs against Barca, you mean? There was no conspiracy Guus last night, but there sure was an absurd amount of hypocrisy.

http://www.theroadend.co.uk/home/index.php?p=57&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,004 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

From another forum and the best one I seen yet.

1241648354.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

18gal3.gif

how do they make these gifs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

dfx- wrote: »
    post-607-1241692388_thumb.jpg

post-607-1241692874_thumb.jpg

Crosspost from poker but this ones the best I think...

1zqx5lk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I honestly thought (hoped :pac:) at the time the German was going to clock him one.

Lucky he didn't in the emotion i guess. At his age it would nearly be career over.

2rgnf2w.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Apparently Mr A admits fouling the other Mr A.

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2009/05/07/Champs-Abidal-reaction/gnid-51868/

I think all this w***ing over Barca has made our eyes bad cause no one seems to have saw it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

people are saying there was like only 1 or 2 clear peno's but what about the tug on drogba shirt by abidal

i dont think that was a peno at all.

he had his shirt in his hand, no doubt, but he didn't pull him back, and had let go by the time Drogba decided to fall on his face.

referees dont give penos everytime a shirt is held in the box, and rightly so.

selpher wrote: »
    Apparently Mr A admits fouling the other Mr A.

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2009/05/07/Champs-Abidal-reaction/gnid-51868/

I think all this w***ing over Barca has made our eyes bad cause no one seems to have saw it.

At no point in that does he say he fouled him, just to be exact.

Slash/ED wrote: »
    At no point in that does he say he fouled him, just to be exact.

Well I did say apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

“I was defending against Nico [Anelka], but as I was the last defender and the referee thought I fouled him, dismissing me is normal

in actual fact, this is all he said. stop thinking the headlines are always truthful. read wat is actually said.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

The ultimate Ballack collection right here...

doxohd.gif

2pqrp82.gif

33xwsye.gif

312e1sl.gif

2aenfps.gif

18gal3.gif

n659qq.gif

That CL one....is quite epic :D

I never said I thought it was truthful The reason I said apparently is because the original forum I found it on took it that way. I just posted it to draw your own conclusions. Sorry if I upset anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eagle eye wrote: »
    From another forum and the best one I seen yet.

1241648354.gif

Ray Wilkins, how could you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Anyone know where i can view RTE's after-match analysis

Warper wrote: »
    Anyone know where i can view RTE's after-match analysis

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0506/analysis_av.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Man, what a funny ending. I felt for the players, i couldnt imagine what it could be like knowing you wont be in the final when the ref shows that yellow card, or blows the final whistle after that crazy kind of injury time.

Lets hope the final has more memorable moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

n659qq.gif

Just brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mr Alan wrote: »
    in actual fact, this is all he said. stop thinking the headlines are always truthful. read wat is actually said.

Did you read the full article yourself?
    “I was defending against Nico [Anelka], but as I was the last defender and the referee thought I fouled him, dismissing me is normal,” Abidal said.

“If I let Nico run towards goal then he scores the second one and it is over, so we can say it is a good foul. I sacrificed myself. It is always disappointing to reach the final without being able to feature.”

That is a tactic admission of guilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Mr Alan wrote: »

He flip flops a bit.

“I was defending against Nico [Anelka], but as I was the last defender and the referee thought I fouled him, dismissing me is normal,” Abidal said.

If I let Nico run towards goal then he scores the second one and it is over, so we can say it is a good foul. I sacrificed myself. It is always disappointing to reach the final without being able to feature.”

edit: To quick for me PHB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

As much as I dislike chelsea, they attacked way better than Barca last night, created the best chances by a mile, and were shafted big time by the ref.
    Roll on the final, I think Man-u will be fairly confident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I hope thats the last we see of that fat useless ref ... I cant believe how bad he was

he's not fat just big boned

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Barr wrote: »
    I hope thats the last we see of that fat useless ref ... I cant believe how bad he was

about as bad as Drogba. I mean seriously such great chances thrown away.

I'm also liking the summation that Chelsea's one legitimate penalty not being given meant they lost. Of course it wouldn't be missed. Not at all. Chelsea don't miss penalties in semi finals of the Champions League...

I'm also liking the summation that Chelsea's one legitimate penalty not being given meant they lost. Of course it wouldn't be missed. Not at all. Chelsea don't miss penalties in semi finals of the Champions League...

At least he had chances - more than I can say for the whole Barca Team. Czech looked bored last nite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

1? They could have been given 4!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Quint wrote: »
    1? They could have been given 4!

Only one was a defo penalty, another was just outside the box and the other two were 50/50.

dbs6e.jpg

They one with the :D for a face is the one that really cracks me up.

I think the Sky Sports Guys summed up the penalty shouts well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SASM_NzheK0

I think the Sky Sports Guys

Stopped reading right there.

At least he had chances - more than I can say for the whole Barca Team. Czech looked bored last nite

Reckon Inestia's goal woke him up?

• Advertisement
Advertisement