Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Barcelona 2nd leg (first leg 0-0 )

1151617181921»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eugh... i felt Chelsea were unlucky last night with the decisions** but the behaviour after the final whistle last night was shocking and for that reason alone i'm glad Barca went through. death threats against a referee should result in a club being banned from Europe imo, failure to control fans and all that (I know it may be harsh, but why has it always been Chelsea fans to issue them in the last few years?).

** My take: Alves was in the box when he pulled Malouda, that is a peno; Pique obviously was a clear hand ball, intentional or not it should have been a peno. I also felt Toure fouled Drogba that time when he was clear through on goal, i.e. possibly a red. haven't bothered watching replays since though so I am well open to being wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

It hasn't been only Chelsea fans making death threats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

CHD wrote: »

Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?
    im not looking for links for all the other teams that have had fans make threats so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Only one was a defo penalty, another was just outside the box and the other two were 50/50.

Doesn't look outside the box to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM232HeNhyQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Maybe I have a different footballing viewpoint but I just don't see that as a penalty at all. Malouda just seemed to sit down because he was being tackled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Oh well that makes it ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,004 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bring back the king imo.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25884

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

JPA wrote: »
    Maybe I have a different footballing viewpoint but I just don't see that as a penalty at all. Malouda just seemed to sit down because he was being tackled.

Isn't it at worst obstruction in the box and I think that it would be an indirect free from inside the box if that's the case?? Could be wrong, just thought I heard that afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

JPA wrote: »
    Maybe I have a different footballing viewpoint but I just don't see that as a penalty at all.

So you base weather its a penalty or a free on the foul comitted and not on its placing. Regardless of weather it was soft or not it was inside the box so if the ref feels it warrants a free then it warrants a penalty.

Also Xavi6, the voice of reason in this thread, top top poster :D

Now I've not had time to look up links or anything as I'm only just in work but on RTE 9 o'clock news last night the sports chap said that in an interview with the ref he admitted he made 3 very bad calls on Chelsea penalty claims. Make what you will of that.

cooker3 wrote: »
    Oh well that makes it ok!
    Maybe in your opinion. Not mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

iregk wrote: »
    Now I've not had time to look up links or anything as I'm only just in work but on RTE 9 o'clock news last night the sports chap said that in an interview with the ref he admitted he made 3 very bad calls on Chelsea penalty claims. Make what you will of that.

Yeah, and a bad call against Barca and two last week! The best team went through over the two legs and so justice was done!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

eagle eye wrote: »
    Bring back the king imo.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25884

Especially when he doesn't spot fouls on Valdes to let Chelsea get through at Stamford Bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

dfx- wrote: »
    Especially when he doesn't spot fouls on Valdes to let Chelsea get through at Stamford Bridge?

Was he in charge of that game? Funnily I don't remember the same level of outrage from the English media/Sky about that one...

Slash/ED wrote: »
    Was he in charge of that game? Funnily I don't remember the same level of outrage from the English media/Sky about that one...
    Well he didn't not give 2 penaltys, send off a player when he possibly shouldn't have and have an absolute stinker of a game. In other words he didn't absolutely rob a team of there place in a Champs League final.....

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Well he didn't not give 2 penaltys, send off a player when he possibly shouldn't have and have an absolute stinker of a game. In other words he didn't absolutely rob a team of there place in a Champs League final.....
    Its takes a specially **** performance with todays reffing to stand out!

He did rob a team of their place in the next round however...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lewe wrote: »
    what makes the barca team that much better than other teams in europe.

I don't agree with this at all.

If it wasn't for some of the worst officiating seen in the CL since the early 70's they'd have been knocked out by Chelsea & deservedly so.

*just cause they tonked Utd in a one off match does not make them "much better than other teams in Europe" had they been up against a team who didn't have one of their worst performances of the season, and who had a decent midfield, the game would have been different.* :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Mr Alan wrote: »
    If it wasn't for some of the worst officiating seen in the CL since the early 70's they'd have been knocked out by Chelsea & deservedly so.

QFT.

Maybe its just because I'm a Chelsea fan but I'm getting pretty sick of people w@nking over Barca, Chelsea made them look very very ordinary for 180 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Woooah hang on.

If Chelsea deserved to beat barca, and as you seem to believe they did, why didn't they? IF the ref was as bad as you say he was, surely Uefa would have asked for a replay.

The fact is..
    In the first leg, Chelsea where very lucky not to concede that Bojan header, and Iniesta should have earned a peno when that thug Ballack punched him in the face. AND Henry was given a judo type submission in the box!

In the second leg, Chelsea scored a fantastic goal, but other than that had no REAL threat upfront. Same could be said about Barca but.. they kept there heads up and got a deserved equaliser.

I suggest you stop moaning and addmitt Barca have had a fantastic season.

Actually, one last point. Stop complaining about Uniteds weakened mid-field. Barca had 1 of the normal back four playing in the final. Also, Henry was no were near his best after his spell out before the game.

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    If Chelsea deserved to beat barca, and as you seem to believe they did, why didn't they? IF the ref was as bad as you say he was, surely Uefa would have asked for a replay.

are you joking?

are you joking?

yes, yes I am >.<

No honestly thought, if Chelsea were by far the better team as many of you seem to think, how come they failed to score a goal from open play? OTHER that Essien's stunner.

Because there's a conspiracy against English teams. Simple really.

all i said was Chelsea would have been deserved winners against Barca, the officiating in Stamford was unusual. surely you can admit this?

Chelsea were unlucky not to get a goal in the CAmp Nou to which you seem to be forgetting, a one on one between Drogba & Valdes, also they didn't have any chances in Stamford Bridge? i seem to remember a few, a horrid miss by Drogba springs to mind.

Barca were deserved winners, i have no doubt about this, they had a great year & are a great team, i wasn't trying to say any different. all i was saying was that there is not a massive gap between them & the top 3 in England. in fact, i'd say all 4 are fairly even, despite wat the OP said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    yes, yes I am >.<

No honestly thought, if Chelsea were by far the better team as many of you seem to think, how come they failed to score a goal from open play? OTHER that Essien's stunner.

I recall one shot by Ballack blocked by a Barcelona players hand. I recall Pique shirtpulling Drogba putting him off....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Pique also blatently controlling the ball with his hand in the box...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Yeesh who opened this can of worms back up...??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Morzadec wrote: »
    Yeesh who opened this can of worms back up...??

That would be me, but in my defence it was to allow another discussion get back on topic...and so I could eat some pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

So many forget that Barca had to score their goal with 10 men, which should never have been. And against a team of Essiens and Terrys at home, with everyone behind the ball, that's pretty impressive. They certainly didn't make Barca ''look ordinary''!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

kinaldo wrote: »
    So many forget that Barca had to score their goal with 10 men, which should never have been. And against a team of Essiens and Terrys at home, with everyone behind the ball, that's pretty impressive. They certainly didn't make Barca ''look ordinary''!

Have we gone back in time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

If my memory serves me correct the CL was finished long ago...

shall we file a petition to UEFA for a rematch of the semis or something..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Can't wait for the final tbh. Showdown between the two best midfields in the world...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I don't agree with this at all.

*just cause they tonked Utd in a one off match does not make them "much better than other teams in Europe" had they been up against a team who didn't have one of their worst performances of the season, and who had a decent midfield, the game would have been different.* :rolleyes:

If if if. If Chelsea actaully tried attacking at any stage during the 2 games they might have won. They did not, they suffered the consequences. Boohoo.

WRT Man U in the final, Barca through Man U off their stride. Barca have been doing that to teams all season. If they oplayed again tomorrow, Barca would do the same thing again. As for the decent midfeild comment, Barca had 3 of a regular back 4 missing. So maybe Man U should have tried to exploit that.
    eddiehead wrote: »
    QFT.

Maybe its just because I'm a Chelsea fan but I'm getting pretty sick of people w@nking over Barca, Chelsea made them look very very ordinary for 180 mins.

Chelseas tactics in those games were to stop Barca from playing. It did not really succeed. People also seem to forget that Barca were denied 2 stonewall penalties in the first leg. (That being said, had Eto'o taken them, he would have probably missed :D)
    kinaldo wrote: »

Spot on.

Bitter losers.

Any way, simple fact is in the semi finals barca stayed through to their attacking game. Chelsea went out to stop Barca, and it worked for 90% of the time, but to say Chelsea where better is ludicrous!

I do how ever think that there is an element of luck and on the day performances separating Barca - United - Chelsea - Liverpool...

I mean United with a full strength squad and a weakened Barca one would have a bad out come for Barca. But, the fact of the matter is, in the match that counted, so many Barca players stood up and were counted i.e. Pique and Iniesta.

Advertisement