Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Barcelona 2nd leg (first leg 0-0 )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Barcelona are a complete mess at the back, Drogba took on three players single-handedly and won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Busquets is on a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Essien is such a brilliant player. Never panics, scores the odd screamer!! I reckon he was Mourinho's best buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

they think they can ****ing walk it into the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone laugh when Darragh Moloney said "wow, that was cool!" bout Essien? :D

Barca only need one goal to go through, which is certainly not beyond them.

Xavi having a shocker to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Dave! wrote: »

Barca only need one goal to go through, which is certainly not beyond them.

They've been looking slightly better going forward to be fair but they've bottled it every time they've been in or near Chelsea's box. Second half is poised nicely. At least it's more of a competition than last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Headshot wrote: »
    they think they can ****ing walk it into the net

Yep, that's beautiful football for ya, lmao!

messi has some low centre of gravity

wow

Great ball control from Messi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Barca need to move Iniesta back to his normal position in midfield alongside Xavi as Keita is not half as effective and put Bojan or Gudjohson out on the left. Thats the only way I see Barca creating more.

On Essiens goal: What a cracker - totally unstoppable shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

They need to actually shoot, as mentioned... it can't be walked into the net.

I thought this might happen, Chelsea somehow get a goal, then go on to win by shutting Barca out like in the first leg.

Don't see Barca scoring, don't really care who wins, as long as they beat the Mancs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

47 minutes gone and the keeper rolls it to a defender. They seem too stubborn in their game. Being able to mix up your approach when it's not working is total football to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I was just about to post that Xavi is afraid to shoot from outside the box...he has been very wasteful.

Barca's problem is the lack of a threat on the left side. Iniesta is a CM and thus doesn't carry the same threat in terms of pace and goalscoring ability that Henry does. Basically Barca are playing with 1 striker in Eto'o as Messi is playing as more of a winger and the lack of extra bodies in the box is costing them big time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Dave! wrote: »

Yep, like he turned 15 for a second lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Has Czech even have to make a save yet

Barr wrote: »
    Has Czech even have to make a save yet

nope which says alot

chelsea look good for another goal

I reckon the Barca girls are having a good cry in the dressing room right now :D

I'd say Souness is glad to be away from Dunphy tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

tbh i thought it was a poor enough first half...hardly any real clearcut chances....Essien's strike was quality though..

can't see Barcelona even scoring...dont think they are good enough to break chelsea down..

too slow when on the counter attack...they play like arsenal - side to side, back side to side...lose ball..start again.. why doesn't Eto'o just beat the man and cross the ball when he gets it on the left.

not a big fan of xavi and iniesta in the same team..too similar and too slow at releasing the ball..

tbh I'll be glad now if chelsea go through as then UTD might have a chance of getting beaten...utd would hammer barca

Headshot wrote: »
    nope which says alot

chelsea look good for another goal

Yep, and could easily see them score from a set piece. If it goes 2 - 0 Barca have to go all out, and I have 5 on 3 - 0 @ 44/1. Come on Chelski!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Chelsea looking good value for thier 1-0 lead at the moment, wondergoal from Essien, what a fantastic player he is for Chelsea.

A lot of hype for Barca, lets see what it materialises in to, they have the ability, should be a decent 2nd half.

Should they make it into the final, they'll miss Daniel Alves, idiot he may be.

mada999 wrote: »
    why doesn't Eto'o just beat the man and cross the ball when he gets it on the left.

Ronnie said that before the game and tis true, such a shame they can't vary it rather than looking to go through the middle so much.

alves looks to be a sure bet for a sending off

he's no john O'shea ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Fenix wrote: »
    Chelsea looking good value for thier 1-0 lead at the moment, wondergoal from Essien, what a fantastic player he is for Chelsea.

A lot of hype for Barca, lets see what it materialises in to, they have the ability, should be a decent 2nd half.

Should they make it into the final, they'll miss Daniel Alves, idiot he may be.

tbh.... i didn't think it was a yellow card offense...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Horrible show from Chelsea tbh. The worst thing that could have happened from a neutrals (me) point of view. This team is regarded as being in the top echelons of the sport, yet they can't string 3 passes together on their own turf?

Yes, sadly they will probably go on to qualify for the final, but if there is any justice in the sport (there isn't really) they will bow out tonight.

We'll hear endless articles about character etc etc from the Chelsea camp. Bol1ox to that. Real character is having the courage to get on the ball and play the game as it should be. Sad state of affairs for the sport if this gets you to the top. How many hundreds of millions spent on this squad over the last few years, and they are being thoroughly outclassed everywhere.

Chelsea, imho, right now are the equivalent to a fit, very well organised pub team.

mada999 wrote: »
    not a big fan of xavi and iniesta in the same team..too similar and too slow at releasing the ball..
    I think that's a fair point as well. Look at Manchester United's third goal last night. Now that's how you play football.

A goal from Barca would really spice things up here.

Why didn't he have a direct shot? Complete waste.

I think that's a fair point as well. Look at Manchester United's third goal last night. Now that's how you play football.

they are just finding it tough tonight. Have you watched them all season. Quick, crisp passing is their forte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fizman wrote: »
    Horrible show from Chelsea tbh. The worst thing that could have happened from a neutrals (me) point of view. This team is regarded as being in the top echelons of the sport, yet they can't string 3 passes together on their own turf?

Yes, sadly they will probably go on to qualify for the final, but if there is any justice in the sport (there isn't really) they will bow out tonight.

We'll hear endless articles about character etc etc from the Chelsea camp. Bol1ox to that. Real character is having the courage to get on the ball and play the game as it should be. Sad state of affairs for the sport if this gets you to the top. How many hundreds of millions spent on this squad over the last few years, and they are being thoroughly outclassed everywhere.

Chelsea, imho, right now are the equivalent to a fit, very well organised pub team.

What are you ****ting on about. Barcelona are 3/4 of the way through proving that they cant score against a decent English team in consecutive CL semi finals.

Why the hell should they deserve to go through?

They may well score but to make out like they are some shineing light that deserves trophies thrown at the for showing up is so wide of the mark its not funny. Goals win games not completign 800 passes in a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Well Barca are just as bad for not having a Plan B when things aren't working. On their performance tonight so far there would be no justice if they got through!

Good early pressure from Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

they are just finding it tough tonight. Have you watched them all season. Quick, crisp passing is their forte.

and last week, and in last years semi final. Same problems in every match.

Real character is having the courage to get on the ball and play the game as it should be.
    The small matter of actually having a shot on goal (let alone scoring) is irrelevant then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Drogba you hero!

What a chance. Should've passed to Essien I think.

What a f**kin miss

Horrible miss from Drogba after doign everything right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wow, that coulda been numero dos ! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If it stays like this it wont be too long before one of those passes connects methinks. Chelsea need a second.

And as I typed that Drogba should've made it 2. Terrible miss, lost his cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

How does Drogba not score there? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

what does drogba have to do to score :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

composed as usual didier!

and last week, and in last years semi final. Same problems in every match.

it's not easy you know. When is the last time United had a team as adept at it as Chelsea put 11 men behind the ball and keep things this tight?

That sums up Alves so far in this match.

it's not easy you know. When is the last time United had a team as adept at it as Chelsea put 11 men behind the ball and keep things this tight?

Did you watch the same game as me last week? Barce had 3 or 4 clear cut chance including 1 or 2 sitters. It's their own fault they havnt scored.

They're just not the all conquering footballing gods some would have you believe.

If the draw had kept Chelsea and Liverpool apart I have no doubt Barce wouldnt be in the semi's

Alves has been the worst Barca player on the pitch.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Did you watch the same game as me last week? Barce had 3 or 4 clear cut chance including 1 or 2 sitters. It's their own fault they havnt scored.

i know it is. but their chances are obviously being limited, which makes scoring less likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

there was a foul there somewhere. . .or two

Advertisement