Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prank calls :(

• 03-05-2009 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi guys.

Over the past week or so iv been getting some prank calls to my mobile

The caller has their number set to "private"

is there any way of finding out who this is???....or getting the number that is ringing me.

(they stay on the phone talking and know my name:()

Cheers looking forward to some replies:)

Duncan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Firstly, there's a good chance this is just some stupid friend who knows who you are. You can ring your service provider and ask them to take some action (block the number, etc.) but they won't give you the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Information from O2 website which might help you

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Firstly, there's a good chance this is just some stupid friend who knows who you are. You can ring your service provider and ask them to take some action (block the number, etc.) but they won't give you the number.

I dont think o2 will do this. The only way forward if you want to do something is either change your number, or give a report to the guards and then o2 will trace the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Davy wrote: »
    I dont think o2 will do this. The only way forward if you want to do something is either change your number, or give a report to the guards and then o2 will trace the call.

This man speaks the truth.
    O2 won't go blocking numbers without a request from the gardai.
    Sure otherwise we'd be ringing up everyday looking to block ex-mates and ex-boy/girlfriends.

Either change your number.
    Or escalate it and call into your local garda station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Go to the Garda station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

i don't think the Gardai will get on to o2 unless this person
    makes a threat towards you,
    but then again i could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭corkie

duncanb wrote: »
    Hi guys.

Over the past week or so iv been getting some prank calls to my mobile

The caller has their number set to "private"

is there any way of finding out who this is???....or getting the number that is ringing me.

(they stay on the phone talking and know my name:()

Cheers looking forward to some replies:)

Duncan

I got one last night but they didn't know my name! (see earlier thread)

Do you have voice mail setup (adding 5 to a number you can go straight to voice mail), where you give your name? Or did you answer the call by saying your name. It's most people's automatic response when answering their phone.

Regards,
    J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It's most people's automatic response when answering their phone.
    Don't think so. Might be in America but certainly people would hardly give their name answering the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yeah, I've noticed that too that Americans don't answer the phone with hello, they just say their surname.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I think easiest way is just to ignore private numbers for a few weeks and they'll soon get tired of phoning and using up their credit when they hit your voice mail. I personally don't answer private numbers anyways. Think it is ignorant hiding your number.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Don't think so. Might be in America but certainly people would hardly give their name answering the phone.

Just maybe a bad habit of mine from working in retail, i usually give the name of company + greeting and then my own first name.

Not on my own mobile when I saw it was a blocked number before I answered!

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I personally don't answer private numbers anyways. Think it is ignorant hiding your number.

I have it set that way by default on my own private mobile to avoid getting pranks calls in the first place. But i also have a public number which all calls get sent to my private no.

Which means I don't know what number they rang me on last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I always reject private numbers but sometimes they will persist and keep ringing. I sometimes will answer with a loud "What the f do you want". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

corkie wrote: »
    I have it set that way by default on my own private mobile to avoid getting pranks calls in the first place. But i also have a public number which all calls get sent to my private no.

Which means I don't know what number they rang me on last night?

If you get charged for diverts, check the online account and it will slove this problem. Of course if diverts are in your allowance then its a bit more of a problem

Davy wrote: »
    If you get charged for diverts, check the online account and it will slove this problem. Of course if diverts are in your allowance then its a bit more of a problem

Old phone number on an old sim card, no charge for diverts even across different network's. It may not have been a prank call just a wrong dialled no, it was just a strange conversation to have? Will know if i get called again.

Advertisement