Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting logs- old style

Options
  • 03-05-2009 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I saw this at Laois Hospice vintage rally in the Rock Inn today, thought it might be of interest to fellow woodworkers here! This particular display brought a good crowd. Another man was making hurleys on a mobile bandsaw and sanding rig.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Great Pics.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Jaysus, there's a fairly severe blade in that bad boy!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

its the ultimate skil saw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

The funny thing about this whole rig is that while the men were setting it up it looked like a dangerous piece of machinery when it was stationery, but once it was running it wasn't terribly noisy, there was no risk of kickback and the operators were well away from the blade at all times. The blade was running at relatively low rpms but with huge torque being provided by the diesel tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

it's the quiet ones you need to look out for, there the ones that you trust and then they reach out and touch you!

Great pics though. I remember seeing an old black and white pic of the guys in the early 1900's by the river with something like that cutting up the logs after they came down the river. After they dried a bit I presume!

• Advertisement
Advertisement