Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT!!!

• 03-05-2009 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

Im looking for advice on the most effective exercises to loose 2 stone. I am a member of a gym, so here are the facilities available.

Treadmills
    Crosstrainers
    Rowers
    Bikes
    Weight Machines
    Pool (cant swin tho)
    few free weights

I run between 3-5 miles every 2 days at lunchtime and go to the gym at night. I usually start on the treadmill for 15-20 mins then 10 mins on crosstrainer, then 10 mins rower, then hit the weight machines for 30 mins. My main problem is HUGE "lovehandles", cant get rid of them!!

My diet isnt the best but I am rectifying it at the moment. Im 5ft 8, 14 stone and my BMI is 31.5.........not good!!!!!

Any exercise suggestions would be really appreciated, im not looking for diet advice, I have that on another thread.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Diet is what you need to fix the love handles.

Ideally, in the gym, I'd do weights three days a week, cardio three days and rest the other day.

On weight days, warm up, then hit the weights hard. Lift as heavy a weight as you can manage for around 8 reps (a million dollar NASA research programme discovered that 8 reps is the best for strength, bone density and health). If you can do ten reps, increase the weight.

As much as possible, forget the machines and go for the free weights. Concentrate on big compound lifts like deadlift, squat, bench press, lunge, stiffleg deadlift, pull-ups, dips, pull-overs, bentover rows, hyper-extensions, close grip bench press, military press, barbell curls. Yes, they are harder, and you may have to drop the weights to do them right, but they burn more calories while building more strength.

Stretch afterwards and cool down.

On your cardio days, use two or three different machines, and go hard. Forget that nonsense about the Fat burning zone (if you go slow, you burn a higher proportion of cals as fat, but burn very few calories. Go hard, pant and sweat and you'll burn far more calories, including more fat calories).

Try doing HIIT, where do do flat out, balls to the wall sprints, alternated with slower recovery jobs/cycles. Personally, I don't like doing HIIT on treadmills, you can't control the speed properly, I'd prefer a road or track. But bikes, ellipticals and rowing machines are perfect. On HIIT, you can do one minute full sprint, follwed by 2 minutes recovery. Do six of these intervals and you'll be pooped. Seriously.

Some cardio sessions, go at moderate intensity (sweating and hot, but able to talk in burst of two or three words) for a longer period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Cheers EileenG, Il give it a shot!!
    EileenG wrote: »
    Diet is what you need to fix the love handles.

Ideally, in the gym, I'd do weights three days a week, cardio three days and rest the other day.

On weight days, warm up, then hit the weights hard. Lift as heavy a weight as you can manage for around 8 reps (a million dollar NASA research programme discovered that 8 reps is the best for strength, bone density and health). If you can do ten reps, increase the weight.

As much as possible, forget the machines and go for the free weights. Concentrate on big compound lifts like deadlift, squat, bench press, lunge, stiffleg deadlift, pull-ups, dips, pull-overs, bentover rows, hyper-extensions, close grip bench press, military press, barbell curls. Yes, they are harder, and you may have to drop the weights to do them right, but they burn more calories while building more strength.

Stretch afterwards and cool down.

On your cardio days, use two or three different machines, and go hard. Forget that nonsense about the Fat burning zone (if you go slow, you burn a higher proportion of cals as fat, but burn very few calories. Go hard, pant and sweat and you'll burn far more calories, including more fat calories).

Try doing HIIT, where do do flat out, balls to the wall sprints, alternated with slower recovery jobs/cycles. Personally, I don't like doing HIIT on treadmills, you can't control the speed properly, I'd prefer a road or track. But bikes, ellipticals and rowing machines are perfect. On HIIT, you can do one minute full sprint, follwed by 2 minutes recovery. Do six of these intervals and you'll be pooped. Seriously.

Some cardio sessions, go at moderate intensity (sweating and hot, but able to talk in burst of two or three words) for a longer period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

You said your diet wasn't good but you're fixing it.

What is it like now and where will it be in a weeks time when you fix the problem?!

FunkZ wrote: »
    You said your diet wasn't good but you're fixing it.

What is it like now and where will it be in a weeks time when you fix the problem?!

Hey FunkZ,

Well, where do I start? basically, everything thats bad for me. Takeaways, high fat, high sugar foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol.

From 2moro:

Plenty of fresh food, fish, lean meat, fresh fruit n veg, low carb meals...water...wtaer..water!

.......hopefully!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

benwavner wrote: »
    Hey FunkZ,

Well, where do I start? basically, everything thats bad for me. Takeaways, high fat, high sugar foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol.

From 2moro:

Plenty of fresh food, fish, lean meat, fresh fruit n veg, low carb meals...water...wtaer..water!

.......hopefully!!!!

Ah man my threadmill is caling for me! Arghhh haha.

I'd personally go high protein, high fat, no carbs. Though you could go high protein, carbs, low fat. But from experience the best way is cutting out carbs, though this doesn't suit everyone (but you won't know untill you try it for two weeks!).

The most important thing is finding out how many calories you need and then eating a bit less to loss weight (or a bit more to gain). Like I need 3000 so at the moment I try to get around 2500 to lose weight.

Make sure ya eat good natural food... plenty of green veg and loadsa lean meats and fish!

I'll be back online at about 11 I'd say dude if ya have any questions.

My personal advice is google ketogenic diets (CKD). Laters and all the best!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice FunkZ, I googled that diet, sounds interesting and il giveit a shot!! enjoy the treadmill!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I'll second the ketogenic diets. Over the years, I've tried every sensible and stupid diet out there, and I'm convinced keto is the best one for weight loss with the least suffering, and for good health. I've found that a lot of minor health problems clear up on a keto diet (gallstones and heartburn for me), and after several years on it, my blood work is perfect.

If you are a competitive athlete, it is not the best diet, but it works well for an awful lot of people.

By the way, a diet that's high in fat sounds scary, but what you eat are things like oily fish, nuts, olive oil, fresh meat, eggs, lots and lots and lot of green veg. No sugar, no flour, no bread, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals, potato, processed foods or transfats.

Advertisement