Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people really hate Voyager and Enterprise?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Season 3 of Enterprise or Voyager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Both shows were typical Trek.
    Both had utterly mundane episodes and some fantastic ones.
    Nearly all trek since forever has been based on some technobabble solution to the problem of the week.

I don't get the overly negative criticism of Voyager and Enterprise, you guys have to watch the early 4-5 seasons of TNG to see some of the most fantastical tripe ever produced. And I loved it.

I have watched every minute of every season of every incarnation and while it has to be said not one of the other holds a candle to TOS (can't wait to see some of the digitally enhanced stuff), DS9 was by far the best of the rest. The characters, the story arcs, the not always happy ending/reset button attitude of the makers. DS9 was fantastic. Garak in particular is one of the best SciFi characters ever written. Pure gold.

Not everything about DS9 was perfect, but overall it was the most complete.

Now I want to mention a couple of things about Voyager.
    Yes it was the most formulaic rubbish at times, and I never warmed to Janeway, I wanted Chakotay to kill her and take over, which is what I'd have done. However, Voyager gave us some brilliant stuff, species 8472, the giant reptilian starship, year of hell and my personal favorite bad guys (who were mishandled IMO) the Hirogen. Yes the Borg were way too easy to defeat, when the obvious storyline was to make it all about running and hiding and dodging the bullets between them and 8472340.1, but still, it wasn't that bad.

Didihno wrote: »
    I don't get the overly negative criticism of Voyager and Enterprise, you guys have to watch the early 4-5 seasons of TNG to see some of the most fantastical tripe ever produced. And I loved it.

The characters of TNG were far better imo. Even when the scripts were lacking, they were still able to bring a certain sheen to the show. Voyager on the other hand had some terrific episodes ("Course:oblivion" was probably one of the best imo) but the characters were generally uninteresting most of the time. It was like a whole ship full of Cameltoe Trois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Stark wrote: »
    a whole ship full of Cameltoe Trois.
    That sir, was uncalled for.

Now I won't sleep for a week dammit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The characters of TNG were far better imo. Even when the scripts were lacking, they were still able to bring a certain sheen to the show. Voyager on the other hand had some terrific episodes ("Course:oblivion" was probably one of the best imo) but the characters were generally uninteresting most of the time. It was like a whole ship full of Cameltoe Trois.

Course Oblivion was very good, it should have been re-titled, "What really would have happened to Voyager if they were in the Delta Quadrant." Its possibly the most nihilistic trek episode ever. Another good one was where Neelix died and the one where Barkley makes first contact with Voy was also good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

I really didn't like Voyager and Enterprise could have been good but it wasn't given a chance to develop.

For me they could have ended the run of DS9 better. There could have been a spin off of the series after the end of the Dominion war. The rest of the Federation/Cardassian/etc etc universe has been totally ignored.

Riv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Cameltoe Trois

omg my other half is wondering why I'm laughing so hard and I'm trying to figure out what to say :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Voyage is by far my favourite ST. DS9 has always bored me and TNG was enjoyable but I liked the rugged feel to the Voy crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

i wouldn't say so... I always found Picard & Data to be the only characters in TNG to be intiresting...though to be fair, Janeway was always MUCH quicker in her decisions to blow sh1t up.
    Riker was just trying too hard to be kirk
    Troi's psychic powers (that's all she really was) existed soley as a deus ex machina for when thewrightersbacked themselves into a corner(though to be fair, that's the same as VOY did with Technobable.
    Geordi? oh yea,he had glasses...and that was it.
    Crusher? did she even do anything on the show?
    Worf was like a troll from lotr, but without the respect

I found it impossible to take Janeway seriously in the first few seasons ... I think it was the insanely complicated hairstyles ... a captain of a warship with hair like that ... I don't think so. 'Captain to the bridge!' 'Hang on I have to do my hair!' Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Riv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

RiverWilde wrote: »
    I found it impossible to take Janeway seriously in the first few seasons ... I think it was the insanely complicated hairstyles ... a captain of a warship with hair like that ... I don't think so. 'Captain to the bridge!' 'Hang on I have to do my hair!' Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Riv

See this?
    That is your problem right there

Teferi wrote: »
    Voyage is by far my favourite ST. DS9 has always bored me and TNG was enjoyable but I liked the rugged feel to the Voy crew.

Voyager a rugged crew?

They had half a season of "Food rations" and then the reset switch was thrown every episode.

They all became one happy family with loads of energy and home comforts

See this?

But wasn't it cool when they were shown in that alternate history and she was captain of a warship and they all wore black cravats? Even Harry Kim can pull off evil with a black cravat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Voyager a rugged crew?

They had half a season of "Food rations" and then the reset switch was thrown every episode.

That way a bit crap alright. Year of Hell was the only one were it felt like reality, though obviously it was taken to the other extreme.

The state of Equinox was also a lot more realistic. I bet their adventures would have been better watching too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

But wasn't it cool when they were shown in that alternate history and she was captain of a warship and they all wore black cravats? Even Harry Kim can pull off evil with a black cravat.

NO

That way a bit crap alright. Year of Hell was the only one were it felt like reality, though obviously it was taken to the other extreme.

The state of Equinox was also a lot more realistic. I bet their adventures would have been better watching too.

I would have loved to have seen the Equinox adventures, less the complete non trek-ian use of lifeforms, to power the ship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Voyager a rugged crew?

At the outset they were indeed. TNG crew were always too clean cut.

Teferi wrote: »
    At the outset they were indeed. TNG crew were always too clean cut.

For 6 episodes or so there was great potential, for this.

Then they went to Walton's Trek

BSG then showed them how to do it, pity that I never had the time to watch it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

BSG then showed them how to do it, pity that I never had the time to watch it
    Find the time.

Kiith wrote: »
    Find the time.

Oh intend to

• Advertisement

See this?

Ah now you're just arguing semantics starship/warship in order to survive Voyager ended up being a warship. Seriously though when the captain of the ship spends more time on her hairstyle it does not inspire confidence and lacks credibility.

Riv

RiverWilde wrote: »
    Ah now you're just arguing semantics starship/warship in order to survive Voyager ended up being a warship. Seriously though when the captain of the ship spends more time on her hairstyle it does not inspire confidence and lacks credibility.

Riv

I am not arguing semantics.
    Voyager never left the Starfleet/Federation ideal. They show this very well in Equinox and the very episode mentioned, where they were thought of as War Criminals. Voyager was always first and foremost a ship of exploration.
    It was one of the annoying things about the show, they kept stopping to look at everything, help strangers, get laid or take part in a race!!
    If they had been a "Warship", they would have pillaged (like Archer did in season 3), attacked, and bribed their way home.

Now, a Klingon ship lost in the Delta Quadrant? That could be cool

How much time did Kirk spend in bed with the alien lady of the week?
    Captain to the bridge!: Give me ten minutes more there kid!

How much time did Sisko spend shaving and waxing his dome, to a shine?

How much time did Picard spend with his fish;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Dragon_Photos

Both myself and my other half like the enterprise, he watches voy everynow and again I just cant seam to get into it tho. But I would not say I hated it.

Both myself and my other half like the enterprise, he watches voy everynow and again I just cant seam to get into it tho. But I would not say I hated it.

Voyager disappointed me, I never really hated it.

I had the same issues with Enterprise but that was changing/changed in season 4
    Manny Coto was all over it and you could tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

For me voyager has a pathetic cast, terrible story line and was mundane. Enterprise, well who can take yer man from quantum leap serious, i kept expecting Al to pop out with ziggy the whole time, and the intro music.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

the actor who played al appeared in an episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 ninety6days

no, most people don't hate voyager or enterprise. they just have sex lives instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

no, most people don't hate voyager or enterprise. they just have sex lives instead.

lol genius.,...:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I wouldn't say that I hated either show. I didn't enjoy the first couple of seasons of Voyager but I stuck with it and I felt that was rewarded. The time that Voyager spent in Borg space very good and the show finale was very strong.

I watched the whole first season of Enterprise and I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I missed the first episode of the second season and then never went back to it. Strange that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement