Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where is your favourite place in leitrim

• 03-05-2009 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

as it says on the tin where is your favourite place in our lovely county, is it in one of our many pubs, or one of our many historical sites,or is it a county town or village, or even parish, maybe a football pitch, or on the bog,or in a meadow,

my personal favourite place is on the banks of lough scur where i was born and reared,in a place where no tourists have ever visited, peaceful with plenty of fish biteing, looking up at the mountain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

my personal favourite place is on the banks of lough scur

At the Dolmen, stopped there many a time when we were young. Stopped there last year with my boys, history repeating itself. As an Aughavas man, I would consider myself a tourist there!!!!!

For me, I always liked the Old Lough Rynn Estate, Lakefield House and Farnaught. With the building boom and the Hanleys throwing up town houses, the place has been a building site eyesore for a few years now. It used to be a lovely peacefull place, really trapped in time with trees overhanging the roads, old Rynn houses, lime kiln, Farnaught graveyard with the Litch Gate, etc, etc.

Another place is McCaffreys, formally Bradys pub in Aughavas, with good Guinness & good company, no better place on Earth.
    on the bog,or in a meadow,
    One memory that springs to mind when I read this is the tea you had on the bog or in the meadow. Brought in a glass bottle with a sock around it for insulation, Probably the best lager Tea in the world, never since, have I had the experience of that unique taste which was served with homemade bread, and I joke you not, slices of butter........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I love the Arigna Mountain Drive for sheer abandon and a stop at Scardan Waterfall is stunning. I love north Leitrim the most and thank god not too much development- generally.. and bluebell forest- wow. Went there with my sister couple of weeks ago for the first time and it was gorgeous.
    Love going into the Dock centre once a month to see the new exhibitions. Really really great venue too.
    Ah so many highlights to Leitrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

ah ya tis all bringen back memories to me aswell, clampen turf, and drinking tae from a paddy bottle, and granneys rhubarb tart as a treat once after the turf and silage/hay was reared.
    brings a tear to my eye and i dont normally cry,

the old people had a great wasy of living

another great place was right up on top of sleive an iariann,away from everyone ,or pull an ass, or kesh or keeldra lakes when the water sports was on, or mohill or cloone show,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

keeldra lakes when the water sports was on, or mohill or cloone show,
    now your talking, all great memories.

plenty of time on the hands this weather so im hanging out with sean ni geann at his castle beside lough scur

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

sitting on the shores of Glencar Lake watching the sunset on the Alantic Ocean.Or standing on the top of the mountain here looking down on the Swiss Valley below and looking over to the Waterfall where the water blows vertically defying gravity..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 LuapSnobbig

Road over Bencroy from Ballinaglera to Aughnasheelin and the Glenaniff road looking over Lough Melvin where the map maker was filmed

i think we should all get togethar and do a leitrim add, like the gift grub west add that they did on today fm 2 years ago,

imagine yourself crossing the road in mohill,

or using a banklink in drumshanbo,

or bidding on a bullock in carrigallen mart,

or driving trough drumahaire ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in a car .

naked as th day you were born!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭machintoshlover

I must say there's no beating Kiltyclogher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 real kesh man

clamping turf on kesh bog on a hot summers day in may, waiting for the hay to wilt, no better healthier way to spend the bright hours of the day, with the powers bottle full to the top of sugary tea ,and inch thick cuts of home made soda cake with wedges of home made butter on it. i cant waith til the weather picks up again after say paddys day. and when the turf is saved there is nothing like cocken hay on shebeg hill, or gowen to the shows in ballinamore mohill cloone and gettin g trough to tullamore show with a prize winner, makes for a great summer to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Birdmad

Just registered on this site and was browsing trough some of the forums. I came across this year old one and couldn't stop reading it! I was a tourist to Co. Leitrim about 30 years ago when I came fishing for a week. I then came to Ireland for a holiday from England every year up 2008. Most of those holidays spent in Co. Leitrim. I loved the place so much that I told myself that one day I would live the dream and retire to Leitrim. So here I am and so glad I did! You folk have some lovely lovely memories! I can almost picture the scenes. Thanks for sharing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

Sweating like a pig building bales on the trailer while the hairy Red Setter baling twine from Kiltoghert Creamery cut grooves in your fingers and the midges so big it wasn't what they ate, but what they tramped. And all the while, keeping a wary eye on the wasp's nest the tractor disturbed earlier.
    All worth it to sit under a Rowan tree with a bottle of Drino Fun, or better yet Smithwicks and red lemonade shandy with the smell of fresh hay wafting around you. Unless it was '85, the year we had to make "silage", (spits in disgust), for the first time.
    These days people rev their 4x4 John Deere and head home, little sweating done and no time to soak up the atmosphere when they're finished.

Advertisement