Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Power have a betting market for % House Value Change in 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

I wouldn't bet on something I don't understand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Have a look at it here: http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPECIALS&ev_class_id=45&ev_type_id=11043&&novelty=1

Is it my imagination, or is the over 15% decline @ 6/4 a no brainer?

According to the odds- its what the majority of the public also think.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

6/4 is good though. I bet a bit and normally "what the public think" would mean it would be 4/6 not 6/4...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The reason for the higher odds- is the range of choices available (and the total unlikelyhood of some of the options). If we were to discover vast oil fields off the west coast- then putting a 33-1 bet on a rise would be an interesting bet......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Have a look at it here: http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPECIALS&ev_class_id=45&ev_type_id=11043&&novelty=1

Is it my imagination, or is the over 15% decline @ 6/4 a no brainer?

What is the reference point?:confused:;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Freddie59 wrote: »
    What is the reference point?:confused:;)

The PTSB/ERSI HPI. I wouldn't bet my house on it, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

The PTSB/ERSI HPI. I wouldn't bet my house on it, so to speak.

Oh boy. NO WAY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Anyone know what is the current %price change so far this year by the PTSB/ERSI index ?
    If its already above 10% and there is still 8 months of the year left I'd say 6/4 for 15% and over is good odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It seems to be averaging at about 1% per month, so it's likely to be over 12%, but will it speed up enough to be 15%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Chances are it could, seems like its all going to be bad news from here on in. Unemployment rocketing to 15% and a nasty December budget won't bring much confidence to the market. But will it top 15% or settle in the 12-15% bracket is another question.
    Any ideas of what the forecasters have said? Cause I'm sure Paddy Power have analysed them carefully before they laid those percentage parameters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭~Trixiebelle~

Yeh, they are looking at the drop from Jan 09 to Dec 09. Last i heard we dropped 9.odd% this year already and we are in May so it certainly wouldnt be unrealistic for it to drop over 15% it is the "fav". I don't think you can go off those novelty bets though, i remember last year they where taking bets on when house prices would rise by a percentage and the fav then was for the 1st quater of 2010. I Wish i stuck a bet on for 2013 or later i think it was 20/1 or something!!

They certainly don't have Morgan Kelly for Odds compiler/risk assessment!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

i will take out a €450k loan to bet on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

many have :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

yes that was my point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Wheres it gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I really should have put more money on it (put a sub 5 euro bet on it) but I got this at 6/1 back in February. I also got 4/1 on 12-15%

Advertisement