Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How should I go about changing my doctor?

Options
  • 03-05-2009 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

I literally could'nt find a suitable forum for this question so I posted it here.
    I really don't have a clue about the process for this.I'm not particularly happy with my GP and I know I have to right to change but,how?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Unlike say the Uk, you are not registered to one particular GP. You can ring any doctor you wish to make an appointment, or a lot of surgeries have times were you can turn up without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Unlike say the Uk, you are not registered to one particular GP. You can ring any doctor you wish to make an appointment, or a lot of surgeries have times were you can turn up without one.

Did'nt realise it was that easy,thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yep, and then ring your old doctor's front desk and have them send your medical records to your new doc, or you could maybe ask your new GP to contact the old GP to request them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Otaku Girl wrote: »
    I literally could'nt find a suitable forum for this question so I posted it here.
    I really don't have a clue about the process for this.I'm not particularly happy with my GP and I know I have to right to change but,how?

Depends on whether or not you have a medical card.

Again, medical card!

A medical card holder cannot ordinarily just turn up at another surgery and expect to be treated (for free at least).
    If you have a medical card then you must find a GP willing to take you on. Then there is probably some form to sign (more than one probably, it is the HSE afterall).

If private, its much easier. Just go to the GP of your choice, flash the cash, and ask to be signed up.

Also, you or your new GP may be asked to pay administrative costs for the transfer of your notes from old GP. So, my advice, if you have little in the way of a medical history I wouldn't bother getting the notes. Unless the new GP insists.

From my experience you simply turn up in the surgery and speak to the receptionist. Who will ask you if you are private or public, give you some forms to fill in. As a new patient, the doctor will go through your medical history. I have never been asked for my medical records. I have changed doctors 5 times in the last decade due a doctor retiring, coming back from living abroad, moving to a different part of the city ..etc. And this has been the same procedure each time. It really isn't a big deal. I don't have a medical card, so I don't know what difference that would make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Just remember that medical records belong to the Doctor and not you...

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I have medical card and I didnt like the way the doctor treated me so I just went to different doctor. Because i am on medical card all I do is sign a thing saying im using a different doctor thats not on my card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

MC

Thanks for all the responses.Just out of curiosity,do we have a right to view our medical records upon request?

Yes, the links below expain your rights and the procedure.

http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=214

http://www2.vhi.ie/topic/medrecords

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

MC

hmm, does that really mean anything in light of the freedom of information for an individual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

hmm, does that really mean anything in light of the freedom of information for an individual?

It just means while you can view then and have errors corrected the records themselves are the legal property of the Doctor and are a record of the treatments he/she has performed/prescribed for you. You can kick and scream but they don't HAVE to give them to you, most will oblige though.

:)

Advertisement