Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift suggestion please - Wines that mature well?

Options
  • 03-05-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey all, hope somebody out there can help me. My nephew is making his first communion next week and instead of the usual cash in a card gift i was thinking of getting him a nice bottle of wine that can be put away for 15 or 20 years for him to enjoy when he's older and wiser. I enjoy wine myself but have limited knowldge. So I was thinking a bottle of red probably. Maybe about the €30 mark?? Can anybody offer any suggestions as to what would be a good wine that will age well and whereabouts to pick it up? (I'm based in Dublin by the way). Many thanks guys
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Edited and re-opened as per PM :)

It's a very nice idea, hopefully some of the regulars with the relevant knowledge can advise. You'll need to be careful about storage too. good luck with the search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

So you're looking at something that will age usefully for about fifteen years or more. When you think about it, most 18-24 year olds will have little appreciation for fine wines. Maybe he'll be different, especially if he comes from a winey family.

The first thing to be said is that it's only a small subset of wines that are made to be aged for this length of time. There's a difference between a wine "lasting" and actually improving in bottle.

The second thing is that it's a risk buying just one bottle and hoping that it will be in good condition when it is eventually opened two decades or so down the line. 5-10% of wines are affected with cork taint. And if the quality of the cork itself isn't up to scratch, it may become oxidised through exposure to air over the years.

So it's safer to buy a case of six or twelve, though obviously the cost escalates alarmingly at this point!

I guess at the end of the day it's a nice idea and it's not life-or-death if the wine turns out to be a bit ropey (it will probably be fine if stored correctly - cool, humid, dark, no vibrations or strong odours, on its side). So go for it.

Berry Brothers, just off Grafton Street, is a purveyor of fine wines, many of which are designed to be aged. Pay them a visit; they are closing their doors at the end of July and no doubt will have some good reductions.

Here are some wines that typically age well. Berry Brothers, or a similar high-end merchant, would certainly carry producers from all of these blue-chip regions and could give you more specific advice.

To last two decades though, you will need to buy from a top vintage (e.g. 2005 Bordeaux) and the bottle price will then easily exceed €30

*Brunello di Montalcino (ITA)
    *Barolo (ITA)
    *Pauillac (FRA)
    *Saint Julien (FRA)
    *Cote Rotie (FRA)
    *Penfold's Grange (AUS)

p.s. Riesling and Semillon are two white wine grapes that can age for many years, and they would be less expensive than the reds listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Talking about just off Grafton Street, I'd recommend the shop (Corkscrew?) on Chatam street.

The owner is very approachable and if you ask that exact question you posted here you will get what you want.

My advice would be go with an Hermitage or Cornas (both North Cotes du Rhone).

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

When in the shop I recommend you ask for new world wines that will age well, they do exist and will likely be cheaper but of similar quality to the old world ones.

Something like an Australian Shiraz ages wonderfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mikelovenotwar

Great thanks for your help people, i'll head into town during the week to pick up something nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

I would recommend the 100 Parker Point Amon-Ra 2006. Peaks around 2025 and lasts beyond 2050. Apart from that, the range of long living wines out there is endless.

Advertisement