Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so239 mounting

Options
  • 03-05-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

hi im looking for some info on mounting a so239 body mount i havent bought one yet but was wondering what size hole would i need to drill in the roof, i was going to take out the fm antenna and it uses a 15mm hole would it fit in there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Depends on the type of connector.
    I'd put a large plate on top and washer under side of bodywork hole with sealing casket, unless you are only going to have very small whip.

The bulkhead connectors with large nut on back tend to be weak and pop off. I'd use the type with 4 screws in corner unless small aerial and you are sure of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

it wouldnt be a huge whip but at same time would catch a good amount of wind, can you send me a pic or link of the mount you are talking about just cant picture it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

you would want to drive some rust bucket to mount one of these on the roof

tc-uhfpanel.jpg

:rolleyes:

look into a magmount or bootlip mount unless you really need to go drilling holes in your car as the are not easy fixed when you go to sell it.

• Advertisement

Those things usually have rubbish coax.

Infact I've had to replace the coax on nearly every magmount...

I have 4 magmounts

a big one with SO238 for dual band whip 2m/70cm
    a similar size screw mount for all band mil radio using CB whip 1.8MHz to 30MHz

A really big tripple magnet SO328 for a quite big 10m/6m dual whip or large fibre pole. Works 40m to 6m on Auto ATU and 160M to 10m on mil rig.

I bought a clip on hatchback/gutter mount, but it wouldn't screw on anywhere. Works on a landrover

what my plan was is to remove the existing fm aerial and slot in a so239 mount instead as i dont want drilling the bodywork my car is a seat leon which has no where to mount a so239 bootlip instead im using a small pmr mount a 5/8th wave pmr antenna but every 3 months the coax rubs itself to tatters on the bodywork between boot and panel, so if the roofmount worked out i was gonna run it into a duplexer one output 2/70 and the other 6m and run that into my stereo headunit it should work in theory!!!

Advertisement