Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cutting down on Deo

• 03-05-2009 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

I read this article in the Indo:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/irish-growing-smellier-as-sales-of-soap-and-deodorant-tank-1727331.html
    By LOUISE McBRIDE
    Sunday May 03 2009

Although a British man made it into Guinness World Records for making the world's largest burp last September, the Irish nation could be about to set its own record for smelliness.

Along with deodorants and shower gel, soap and toilet roll are more likely to be left on the shelves during a recession, according to recent research by Nielsen.

The research was cited in National Irish Bank's wealth report, which found that sales of toiletry products, such as air fresheners, toothbrushes, shower gels and deodorants, have fallen significantly.

Irish consumers are more likely to do without hair conditioner, washing-up liquid and disposable nappies during a recession than their morning fry. Sausages, butter, bread, milk and tea are highly recession proof, according to Nielsen, but hair conditioner and washing-up liquid are particularly vulnerable. And even though black and white pudding is "highly vulnerable" to the downturn, it is also well able to bounce back.

Thankfully, smelly bins and stinky houses shouldn't be too much of a problem during the recession -- refuse sacks, household cleaners, kitchen towels and bleach are still flying off the shelves.

While cider and stout appear to be recession proof, sales of lager, spirit mixers, brandy and rum have been seen to suffer.

We're also more likely to do without sliced cheese and frozen pizzas than our sugar, cream and snacks.

In this year's first 12 weeks, sales of toiletries fell by 4.4 per cent, according to consumer research firm TNS Worldpanel. Retail Excellence Ireland found pharmacy sales slumped by over 13 per cent in this year's first quarter.

So has anyone cut down on the smelly stuff? I tend to use it only when I am heading out - regular showers are the way to go. Its a total rip-off in this country anyway....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

No work = no money = no woman = no need to shower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

In fairness, some lads must empty a full can of Lynx on themselves before going out on the pull. Ive smelled better insect repellant.

A win for society imo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Dio has rocked...for a long...long....time......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

People should just aim to smell, well like nothing at all really. Can't bet smelling just neutral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Oh my God! So we're going to be meeting people who smell of BO and stale fries because of the recession... Have these people never heard of the € shops where you can get pretend shower gel for a €1?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I am guilty of both taking an excessive number of daily showers (at least 3) and also using a lot of deodorant/antipersirant. Whether it's a mild form of OCD or what, I dont know, but I certainly havent cut back on my usage of Deo at all. Aftershave is another one I'm guilty of using a lot of, even if I'm just going to work or college, I always have aftershave on!!! As I said, it's probably OCD!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

There is no excuse for poor Personal higiene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I realised in the shower this morning that my conditioner was gone. I was very sad. I will definitely be replacing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

I clean myself with a decent soap. That's all you need... I have my own scent. That's not to say I go for days, then you smell stale.

Occasionally an aftershave. Deodarant is a waste of ****ing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

so are blacks in the jacks a thing of the past?

• Advertisement
Advertisement