Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rehearsal room - DIY JOB - and PORTABLE POWER

• 03-05-2009 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me, I'm currently making a rehearsal room for me and my band.
    Here's the situation, we've been allowed use a prefab for free for as long as we want really, and we want to turn it into a great rehearsal room.
    There are issues with it:
    1. It has no power and is no longer close to power - have any of you got any idea how we could power our instruments/mics etc? I was dreaming up something the size of a schoolbag that I could plug into the wall at work for 8 hours and then bring it up and it would work for 8 hours, but not sure if that exists! Any advice ideas on this?

2. Sound insulation - obviously it is very poor in this regard - we want to make decent(not necessarily professional) sounding recordings in this room over the next year, and we are using a mac, have good mics and equipment etc - so would I be right in saying that if we insulated the place nicely we'd be on the right track to getting a good sounding recording?

3. Any other advice on the important issues of setting up a rehearsal room would be great - it's my big project for the next few months, but wanna get the right information first.

Especially with the power as that is the big necessity to just be able to hear the music in the first place!!

Thanks guys,
    MJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

By it's very nature sound proofing a pre-fab will be next to impossible without spending a lot of money on it. For sound-proofing you really need density. Double thickness walls and all that.

Power wise you could try an inverter from a 12v battery to mains but a 100W amp is going to eat that battery alive in minutes...

It would be cheaper to get mains re-installed.

Advertisement