Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use images from the Internet in your posts.

Options
  • 03-05-2009 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

Here's a trick to use for using images from the Internet. If you right click on any image and click on properties you can see where the image is stored/located.

Now just hi-lite the images location text and right click to copy. Now in your post or a reply to a post click on the 'image icon' and paste the image location text of the image that you copied - right click and click paste.

But if the image is removed at any time then that image will not show in the post.

Example

Wallace_And_Gromit_-_Chicken.gifprogress.gifreply.gif

vbulletin3_logo_white_2.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

This is known as 'hotlinking', and is generally frowned upon, for a couple of reasons:
    1. It's 'leeching' someone else's bandwidth and server space.
    2. The picture may be removed from its original host and the link will no longer work.
    Someone, somewhere, is paying for server space and bandwidth to host and serve the image, and while in most cases it's not THAT big a deal, it's still considered to be bad Netiquette.
    Some sites go as far as setting their server software to detect this hotlinking, and will serve up a scolding image instead, or even an extremely not-safe-for-work image.

Hotlinking to images on manufacturers' sites is somewhat less of an Internet sin, as they're posting the images as promotional material for their products in the first place, but that's still no guarantee that the image won't be taken down sometime in the future.

Here's the Shooting Forum sticky thread on this very subject:
    How to post pictures in thread.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I was a "victim" of hotlinking. I noticed on my stats that I was getting a lot of hits from a website in Finland all linked to an image on one of my sites. I duly put a new image on mine and left the link to the original image but changed it to something definitely NSFW:D

Haven't looked lately but I think it's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Ok feel free to remove this and the tips section posts.

What you are refering to is 'Deep Linking' but if you are promoting the product then it would not be frowned apon by the Website nor Webmaster.

The main reason that it's frowned apon is that the front page of the website is bypassed and this could be where they may have advertising placed.

Advertisement