Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods modding threads where they've posted?

Options
  • 03-05-2009 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

I'm all for fair and good refereeing and I've just noticed that mods on this fora can police the threads in which they have participated.

Human nature being what it is, is there not a conflict of interest there? A potential for pettiness and the scope for people to be excluded from threads because they've taken a position contrary to what the mod in their non-mod capacity have been saying.

Would it not be better as with other internet forums to have a rule that mods can't mod threads in which they've taken an active part in the discussions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That's a little unfair on the mods isn't it? They are users too and many mod the forum they mod because they enjoy the topics on the forum.

Generally, the rule of thumb is that you don't moderate someone you have personal dealings with, and if you feel that you are entwined in the subject too much to make an impartial viewpoint you hand the modding over to your co-mod.

I'm sure someone else can explain better than I can.

Are you saying that a mod cannot moderate a thread that he posts in? Are you saying that a mod cannot moderate on a thread that they have extremely biased opinions on the topic, but have not posted?

Do you have any particular examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Gordon wrote: »
    Are you saying that a mod cannot moderate a thread that he posts in?

Indeed, in much the same manner a football player would not be able to referee a match he is playing in. There would be a conflict of interest and any human being in such a position would find it hard to be even handed. Other forums I'm aware of have a rule to prevent their mods from modding threads in which they have participated in the cut and thrust of often heated argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Are these large forums? How many mods per forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Gordon wrote: »
    Are these large forums? How many mods per forum?

Well fairly large although granted not the size of this one. Two or three mods for each section.

Advertisement