Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Gateway questions?

Options
  • 03-05-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Broadband supplier - Smart
    Smarty supplied a Thomson ST 546 gateway

The telephone points in house are wired in a daisy chain.

1. Do I have to use the Thomson or could I use some other one off the shelf and enter the Smart settings
    2. Can I use more than one gateway / modem in the house? It's not possible to get a wireless signal from one part of the house to the other. I'd like to avoid laying new network cable between the two areas. There are telephone points in each area. So I'm thinking of using separate gateways / modems for each area
    3. If I can use more than one, up to how many can I use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You cannot put more than one modem on the phone line, and you can you the Smart supplied one, or one of your own.

For extending you network, look for some sort of Homeplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If you want any kind of control over access to inside your network I would suggest using your own modem/router as the Thompson is a POS to configure due to being locked down by Smart.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

jor el wrote: »
    You cannot put more than one modem on the phone line, and you can you the Smart supplied one, or one of your own.

For extending you network, look for some sort of Homeplugs.

Will the home plug work throughout the house or do you have to connect along one electrical circuit (you know the way sockets from one each room are on a separate trip switch)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They do depend somewhat on the wiring of your house, but the mostly work anywhere in one household.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think they're generally OK as long as both sockets are wired back to the same consumer unit (fuseboard).

I'd imagine that the further they are apart, the lower the speeds due to the extra noise from the mains cabling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement