Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's something you have done, or continue to do, that has improved your life?

• 03-05-2009 10:46pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭

A post I was reading on reddit yesterday and was pretty interesting so thought I'd ask the same question here :) If you want to read the original -> link
    What's something you have done, or continue to do, that has significantly improved your overall happiness?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Got the **** out of my comfort zone/stagnation and moved to London... Best decision I ever made!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

What have you done OP???

Mine would have to be changing careers 4 years ago. Took a lot of balls on my part but has worked out well and I feel like I am on a better path now!!

Still loads and loads to do though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

gave up the beer and now only drink on special occasions ,as it doesnt agree with me ,and i dont agree with anyone when im on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Definitely my career change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The wonderful world of music, the past 5 years i have travelled all over the world to concerts, great way to make friends and see the world Certainly broadened my horizons.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Gave up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Started eating soap.
    Apparently it's quite cleansing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Going to Sweden for a year has been pretty good. Though, considering Ireland has hit the **** in the year I've been gone, it remains to be seen whether it was a wise decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Healthy eating and regular exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Started giving blood. I used to be utterly terrified of doctors, hospitals, and general medical mumbo-jumbo. But particularly syringes. My mates constantly told me to ''man up'' and conquer it. So, I have started to give blood. I'm slowly conquering my fear of syringes and needles, plus I'm doing something that can benefit others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Healing a sort of rift I had with my dad. We went through a rough patch for a few years but all is fine now. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved to the States, took me a while to get settled and I had my doubts for a while but things couldn't be better for me right now. I am so happy that I stuck it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Masturbate.

You can't put a price on the amount of time I've saved dealing with bitchy dramatic wimmins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Quit job. Went back to college as a mature student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Watched episodes of Hill Street Blues over and over again

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

yermandan wrote: »
    What have you done OP???

Well, I suppose its only fair :D

I'm only 19 so I suppose repeating the leaving cert this year has been my best decision as in general, I'm a lot happier..
    Understandably, most probably consider repeating the leaving cert pretty uninteresting but it was a big deal for me ;D

For the most part, I was an eejit last year - didn't give a toss about school despite my parents paying stupid amounts of money for private schooling for 3 years, and in the end totalling a nice 40points for myself in the LC.. :E It mainly just caused a lot of bad vibes and arguments with my parents that they didn't deserve.

So, now I'm repeating, trying to do my best and enjoying it a lot surprisingly :) No fights with parents, get on really well now actually. Go out with friends a lot less than last year due to study, and while I feel like I've become a bit of a recluse, and it often shows when I'm out :S, I typically enjoy the company a lot more than I would have before- its like an earned break I suppose :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Absolutely nothing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Took up running, I've lost 50lbs in the last 10 months because of it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Joined the metal brotherhood :cool: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Learning and playing music. Really can't put a value on it

• Advertisement

We wrote: »
    So, now I'm repeating, trying to do my best and enjoying it a lot surprisingly :) No fights with parents, get on really well now actually. Go out with friends a lot less than last year due to study, and while I feel like I've become a bit of a recluse, and it often shows when I'm out :S, I typically enjoy the company a lot more than I would have before- its like an earned break I suppose :) .

Its not a bad thing if you've learned something from it. Without getting too lecture-ish on you, the rest of your life is in your own hands. So make some good choices. Good luck with it btw. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Went back to college.

I'd be an unemployed laborer otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Stopped regretting certain things that can't be changed. Tis refreshing. ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I learned the techniques of transendental meditation, and I meditate twice a day for 20 minutes. Its made a massive difference to my sense of well being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

listend to my misses as she has more sense.:D

so

• Changed career
    • Started a masters(distance learning)
    • Leaving the country soon

That enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

We wrote: »
    Well, I suppose its only fair :D

I'm only 19 so I suppose repeating the leaving cert this year has been my best decision as in general, I'm a lot happier..
    Understandably, most probably consider repeating the leaving cert pretty uninteresting but it was a big deal for me ;D

For the most part, I was an eejit last year - didn't give a toss about school despite my parents paying stupid amounts of money for private schooling for 3 years, and in the end totalling a nice 40points for myself in the LC.. :E It mainly just caused a lot of bad vibes and arguments with my parents that they didn't deserve.

Good for you.

I repeated. After I made the decision I got almost zero pressure from the parents. I mean, there was no wakeup drags, or anything like that, because I was going because I wanted to go (and I never that year passed on a day to sleep in) and family life was much more stable.

Didnt change my social life, but I quit my PT job which wasnt working out anyway, and quit smoking the funny stuff. Just stuck with it and kept hanging out with friends who had gone on to college to give me that incentive to want to catch up to them.

In the end I came out with a 210 point increase over my 5th year results, going from a 190 to a 400. It was totally worth it. And I got the choice of college I wanted.

Stick with it. Definitely, 6th year is a great opportunity to fix a bad mistake and its one that you'll carry around for a while.
    Took up running, I've lost 50lbs in the last 10 months because of it.
    Thats my new goal. I've discovered I'm about 70 lbs overweight to enlist in the armed forces. So the next logical step for me is to lose that weight and get back down to something healthy. even if I end up not enlisting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Learned how to say "no" more often and started making time for myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Same as "We"
    Repeating the LC was the best decision I have made so far.
    Made a dogs dinner of it the first time round. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Converser

Started to take things as they come rather than worrying obsessively over every little thing and stressing.Slow process but getting there. Stress=bad health as we know. Also given up being "too nice" to people when it goes unnoticed. Also not good for the health.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Converser wrote: »
    Started to take things as they come rather than worrying obsessively over every little thing and stressing.Slow process but getting there. Stress=bad health as we know. Also given up being "too nice" to people when it goes unnoticed. Also not good for the health.

Same as. I still have the "been to nice to people" when they dont deserve it thing but I'll get over that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Started doing yoga. Honestly yoga high is one of the best things in the world. Puts everything into perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'm still trying to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

joined a choir. Its a good buzz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Learning that you can't rely on life giving you anything that you don't take for yourself.

In other news, there's ample room for a Yore Ma comment in this thread, given the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

Absolutely nothing...
    thats a bit sad isnt it :)

for me, i moved to ireland to live with the man of my life, found a great job. and met some people who have changed my life in the best way possible..

couldnt be happier :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

omyatari wrote: »
    thats a bit sad isnt it :)

for me, i moved to ireland to live with the man of my life, found a great job. and met some people who have changed my life in the best way possible..

couldnt be happier :)

I moved to Ireland to be with my wife.

We have two children that make life everything that it is supposed to be.

Eventually, we'll move from Ireland, but the time here has been educational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

took up surfing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭irisheddie

posted on boards im such a lick a** haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

alcohol, about 5 year ago, goodbye to the binge culture that is widespread on these 2 islands, I would recommend it, ;)

also learned to recognize that the roman catholic church and its employees and the message of the gospels were two different things - looking at the second without the noise of the first is a very helpful thing in any life :)

irisheddie wrote: »
    posted on boards im such a lick a** haha

Dont sweat it. Theres plenty of them round these parts. You will fit right in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I've joined a sports club, starting next weekend. Good for physical and social reasons hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've tried to make a point of helping people out whenever I'm able.

could be a little thing like taking the time to stop and giving someone a tow if they're broken down at the side of the road or giving a random hitchhiker a lift or driving halfway across the country with a colleague so he could pick up a car he just bought.

it could be anything really. just someting that when you examine it properly, it really isn't a big thing for you to do, but will make a big difference to someone elses quality of life.

by contrast I can be an absolute head wrecker on here and love to wind people up, so the yin and yang are in balance. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Not so much things i've done, but rather opinions:

Take each day as it comes and enjoy it because it could be your last

and DEFINATELY:

Any time you're having a really sh1t day, just remember that somewhere else some poor oul sod is probably having a worse day

I'm not a hippie/free-minded kinda guy (nearly the opposite!) but i've stopped worrying/reading too much into things since I had a serious accident a few years ago which almost left me as a vegetable. My blood boils when I hear people giving off stink about the sh1ttiest little things as if they have it so hard, not realising how well they actually have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Gave up ciggies. Instant gratification and health improvment.

Don't let the TV adds fool ya, it IS easy to stop. You don't need to buy patches, gums, self-help books, plastic chew toys etc., etc.. You just have to decide to be a non-smoker.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

discovering that im not a complete fvck up and I do have a possible future..... In what I have no idea but it looks a lot brighter then it did.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Oversea's service with the Defence Forces has been great for my own personal development, plus its given me huge satisfaction that I've brought good to others lives.

I've given lots and asked for nothing back except my safe return.

Also in the last five months I've closed a gap which I allowed develope between my children and I. Now regardless what else happens we have 'our time' and its been the most rewarding decision ever.

Other than that Judo has been literally a life saver for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Learning to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Learning to value my sobriety, to take responsiblity to make the things I want to have happen in my life happen and that I can't be responsible for everything.

Lighting candles when needed and listening to music which makes my soul sing and my feet tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

learning to keep taking the effexor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Well you know the way you're always told to eat more fiber well the best decision I've ever made was to start eating less. Now I only have to do the business 1/2 times a day as opposed to the 5/6 before :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement