Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polls at end of (or at least not always at beginning of) threads

Options
  • 03-05-2009 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

I think it'd be better if there was a more customisable way to run polls. The conventional way where the poll is above the first post of a thread usually means that members will post their answer to the poll first, then read through the thread.

This means that they are only voting using their first thoughts on the question and answer and after voting will probably post in the thread in defence of their decision.

If the poll was introduced at a later point in the thread, it would mean that the members would first read through and contribute a variety of opinions, and then cast their vote. I believe it would lend to more interesting discussion, as once someone has cast their vote, they feel somewhat committed to that view point through the action of voting in that they have already made their mind up before taking part in the discussion. This can just lead to a multitude of posts with a stubborn undertone that can get in the way of productive discussion.

As an example, I opened the Humanities thread "Should adultery be illegal"...my immediate opinion was "No", which I submitted to the poll. Then I thought that my point of view may change after reading through the thread. But even if it did, the poll would still represent my vote based on my first thoughts.

Cheers

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Or maybe an undo poll vote button like the remove your thanks thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nice idea, technically a feature suggestion imo as I imagine that the default action by boards is to state-choice-then-explain. Twisting that round to discuss-then-vote is what you are suggesting.

Maybe an idea to use in the Debate fora to trial if it does end up getting time invested into it.

Steroid it up to the choice to vote on any post therefore adding one vote to the choice that the voted-for poster voted for, but nobody knows who voted for what, just an agglomerated vote result.

Undo/amend vote idea is good. Maybe something that future Vbulletins may come out with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Any forum moderator can add a poll to a thread. They have to start a separate thread with a poll applied and then merge it with the main thread, they'll have the option to edit the thread from there.

It's not what you're looking for but it can be handy all the same :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Any forum moderator can add a poll to a thread. They have to start a separate thread with a poll applied and then merge it with the main thread, they'll have the option to edit the thread from there.

It's not what you're looking for but it can be handy all the same :)

Can you not just edit the first post and add a poll there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Has there been any developement in this idea. I know mods can edit polls for you, but it would be much more user friendly if you could withdraw your initial vote and then re-vote.

Some times circumstances can change, that would lead to your position on a topic changing too. Like in the PS3 forum, a poll asking if your PS3 is still working or have you had problems with it. You may not have had a problem when you cast your vote , but further down the road you may encounter some issues.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement