Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying semi-mature trees for privacy

Options
  • 03-05-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I’m thinking about buying some mature or semi-mature trees for our front garden. Rural location. Top of garden is approx 50m from the house. The garden faces onto a road and I would like the trees to create some privacy and to act as a noise barrier to some extent.
    The garden is approx 60m wide. I’m looking for well established trees that might be perhaps 5 or 6m high at least. Basically I’m looking for advice on what type of tree would suit (I’m thinking maybe Poplar, Silver Birch etc.) I’m a bit of a novice so any input would be appreciated. I know it’s an expensive route to take but I think it’s probably worth it. If anyone knows of a reasonably priced nursery or supplier that does such trees, I’d be interested to know. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 greenfingers

Better off waiting till next November if you could, as the trees would be cheaper and would have a better chance of establishing if planted during the winter.

Having said that it is easy to get your hands on mature trees now.

What part of the world you in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

Cheers for that. I'm based in south Co. Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'd also be interested in finding out the exact same thing.. 6 - 7ft tall but for an urban back garden to block out the overlook of the neighbours at the back. I'm in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 greenfingers

Planting mature trees can give you an instant 'Green Screen', and if you are willing to pay a little bit extra (10-20 %) and are willing to spend some time watering them there is not reason why not to plant now.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭tryu

Check out the silver birch tree for privacy/noise barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the lylandi is your only man, evergreen, and hides everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

old boy wrote: »
    the lylandi is your only man, evergreen, and hides everything.

....including the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

....including the sun!

I agree with you! I've actually planted an entire row of Leylandi at the very front of the garden a few years ago. I want to plant the mature trees behind them so as I can maintain the leylandi hedge at a reasonable height without having to bring in the professionals once a year.
    Anyone actually planted mature trees and can they reccommend suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

mosesgun wrote: »
    I agree with you! I've actually planted an entire row of Leylandi at the very front of the garden a few years ago. I want to plant the mature trees behind them so as I can maintain the leylandi hedge at a reasonable height without having to bring in the professionals once a year.
    Anyone actually planted mature trees and can they reccommend suppliers?

It's off season at the moment for planting mature trees, as they will be containerised now and prices will be a premium. Also the risk of the tree not 'taking' establishing is high as the dry season approaches.

Better choice an dbetter prices available during peak planting time, ie bareroot season, which runs form Oct-Mar.

The best place to purchase mature trees is of course at source ie nurseries, but most will be trade only and do not retail/deal with public. Some smaller 'nurseries' will sell to public, but chances are they are selling on 'bought in' stock.

Ground preparation and planting requirements will be influenced by tree variety and size (maturity).

Advertisement