Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No broadband coming

Options
  • 03-05-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I live in a small village in North Donegal called Culdaff. When the National Broadband scheme was announced I thought great 3 will be a step up from dial up at least. Now it has been confirmed that Culdaff or the other nearby exchange Gleneely will not be getting broadband under the National Broadband Scheme as a private company offer wireless service here. Thing is it is extremely limited as homes must have line of sight, and many do not. I think this is a complete farce. Full article is below:

http://www.derryjournal.com/inishowen/Broadband-excuses-39not-good-enough39.5189304.jp
    A local council candidate says that the uneven rollout of broadband in Inishowen is unacceptable.

[FONT=&quot]Fianna Fáil County Council Candidate Charlie McConalogue has described as unacceptable the responses he has received from Eircom and the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources in relation to ensuring broadband internet is available to all homes in Inishowen.

"Communications Minister Eamon Ryan recently announced the National Broadband Scheme asserting that 100% broadband coverage would be achieved across the country by September 2010.

"In Inishowen, the National Broadband Scheme covers the Dunaff, Carthage, Malin and Ardmalin District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) and will see broadband delivered to each home and business in the area. While this is a very positive and welcome development for these DEDs, it will not have any impact in areas outside of this.

"Following the announcement, I wrote to Eircom and the Minister for Communications querying plans for the delivery of broadband to the Gleneely and Culdaff areas, which are the only parts of Inishowen in which Eircom are refusing to upgrade telephone exchanges for broadband.

"I received the response from Eircom that they do not plan to upgrade the Gleneely and Culdaff exchanges as it is 'economically unviable' for them to do so.

"The Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources response was that the National Broadband Scheme is prohibited from providing a service in areas where it would give rise to an unacceptable level of market distortion and the Scheme therefore doesn't include Gleneely and Culdaff since a private company - North West Electronics, currently offer a wireless service in the area.

"This is not an acceptable position and I will not be standing for it. The North West Electronics Service is only available to those who have line of sight to the company's wireless masts and is of no benefit to a large proportion of homes. Either Eircom or the National Broadband Scheme has to step up to the mark and ensure that all homes are covered.

"It is also completely unacceptable that homes in other parts of Inishowen are unable to get broadband internet due to being on split telephone lines which are unable to carry the data, or because they are in areas where the level of service from Eircom is simply not up to scratch.

"Broadband access is no longer a luxury but a key tool in being able to participate in today's world. Each home, business and community needs to have it.

"I will leave no stone unturned in doing whatever it takes to get the Government and Minister for Communications to deliver on 100% broadband coverage by September 2010."[/FONT]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Donegal is unfortunate in having its own Quasi-Nbs provided by NWE in Derry .

You may complain if they do not provide 100% coverage in your area as the tender they won obliges them to do so . I believe you should complain to your own county council or to the EU commission if they fail to do so ( complain to all of them)

They say they cover you anyway . It must be true :p

http://www.nwewn.com/coverage_maps.php

coveragenew.jpg
    The cross-border Community Network Services (CNS) project -- a joint initiative by Donegal County Council and Derry City Council -- aims to bring high-speed internet connections to 95 percent of County Donegal, and parts of counties Fermanagh, Derry and Tyrone which are unlikely to be serviced by the private sector.

The CNS project has been overseen by the cross-border centre for technology expertise, ERNACT (European Regions Network for the Application of Communications Technology), and EUR500,000 worth of funding has been provided by the British and Irish governments' International Fund for Ireland. The remaining investment capital has been provided by the EU's InterReg fund, Udaras na Gaeltachta, Donegal County Council and the Department of Communications, Marine & Natural Resources.

Derry-based broadband operator Northwest Electronics won the tender to supply broadband to the region based on WiMax wireless technology. The firm is planning to erect WiMax equipment on telegraph poles across the Northwest, including one on Aranmore Island which will allow other offshore communities such as Tory Island to pick up a broadband signal.

Speaking with ENN, ERNACT general manager Colm McColgan said the network will be based on a 2Mbps minimum speed, and higher speeds of 8Mbps will become available.

"There's been market failure here from the larger telcos," he said. "That's why a project like this needs funding from public sector money. We're hoping this project might stimulate competition, and I hope Eircom will light up more of its exchanges in the area."

McColgan said an important aim of the project was to provide infrastructure for local companies to set up virtual private networks (VPNs) capable of speeds of up to 100Mbps.

Chairman of the International Fund for Ireland, Denis Rooney, said the project has the potential to rejuvenate the local economy which has suffered as a result of the Troubles. "It will put in place the infrastructure to allow existing local enterprises stretch their wings, and it will also encourage the development of new enterprises in the area, to the benefit of the wider local community as a whole," he said.

Mary Coughlan TD said rural broadband was essential for the creation of jobs. "This project is centred on a very real desire to see further economic and social development through tangible cross-border co-operation, and will make a very real difference on the ground for people on both sides of the border."

It is understood that the CNS project is expected to be completed by the end of the year. The WiMax microwave technology will be linked into the Government's Metropolitan Area Networks which in turn will be provided with backhaul for wider connectivity into Northern Ireland.

The next phase of the CNS project, which is designed to encourage the provision of community and local government services online, will then be initiated."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Correct SB- and it was INTERREG funded....

They claimed they would do 100% coverage....

Would be interesting to see what frequencies were used to win the tender - licensed or unlicensed and then match that back to the map "with big circles".

Would also be interesting to do a drive test today to see just how much of the 100% is covered and indeed to carry out a value for money study...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Would satellite BB cover you.
    This link was recenlty email to me
    http://www.satellitebroadbandireland.ie/index.html
    Web site information is limited
    Maybe someone else is using them and can provide some more information

It would not help

1. It is crap
    2. He is entitled to proper wireless .

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Your probably correct, but,
    1. Crap maybe better than nothing
    2. Isnt Satellite BB going to be used under the NBS where HSPA is not available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Except you will not be able to get the NBS satellite, as it's currently vapour.

Other non-NBS satellite services do exist and are fast approaching NBS price. It looks now like Eutelsat's new 1000x capacity Ka bird might be up before "3's NBS" Avanti/Hylass experimental launch/satellite.

If this new company "satellite Broadband ireland" is an ISP as claimed then they are a front for someone else, or else they are not an ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

watty wrote: »
    Except you will not be able to get the NBS satellite, as it's currently vapour.

Other non-NBS satellite services do exist and are fast approaching NBS price. It looks now like Eutelsat's new 1000x capacity Ka bird might be up before "3's NBS" Avanti/Hylass experimental launch/satellite.

If this new company "satellite Broadband ireland" is an ISP as claimed then they are a front for someone else, or else they are not an ISP.

Agent for Eutelsat it seems.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0501/1224245754262.html
    Local distributors will feel the benefit of the project, with Eutelsat choosing Satellite Broadband Ireland (SBI) and Digiweb to sell its product in Ireland. SBI’s Kevin Ryan said the new service would mean new jobs for the firm, with new roles expected in installation, customer service and support.

“We plan to create upwards of 20 jobs this year alone,” he said. He also indicated that more jobs could be created next year.

Mr Ryan said the introduction of the new broadband service would mean that those in rural areas who did not have access to broadband services at present would not have to wait for the roll- out of the national broadband scheme to get high-speed internet access.

“This is an immediate solution today with a 2Mb service, which is a very consistent and very fast service. With the kind of technology we use, the perception before of it being expensive and weather-dependent is rubbish now,” he said.

another bloody sat service :(

and I bet it is not Ka band so its 512k or 1mbit for now and you will have to buy €500 of new gear next year and shell out for an installation agian if you want more bandwidth

The Ka bird isn't launched yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

I see 3 have applied for planning permission to erect a mast in Donegal.

" ...and is hoped to facilitate the National Broadband Scheme". - Donegal News.

Is it not exclusively NWE then?

• Advertisement

The NBS is simply 3's Voice Network Rollout which would be happening anyway..

So any masts they need, and they need lots they are going to play the NBS card with planners?

There is NO NBS Network. Only 3's 3G Mobile Phone Licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

Hi Culdaff,

Have you tried lobbying Eircom to get your exchange onto the list of exchanges to be upgraded?

I don't know how reversible Eircom's decision is but I would think anything is possible. My exchange in Williamstown, Co. Galway was always on the list but we made sure it got across the line and you can see exactly what we did on williamstownoffline.com

I would look at going as far as seeing if you can raise cash in your community to pay or part pay for the upgrade. The size of your community will determine how many can get connected in your area but for us it has served everyone who wanted broadband to get it so far.

Your politicians will do little for you (I hand delivered a petition to Minister Ryan) and most will just forward your letter(s) to the Minister. If the brute force way of paying Eircom to do the upgrade is possible perhaps see if local businesses will sponsor events or collectively pay for the upgrade. I don't know how much it costs to upgrade an exchange (lots of variables like backhaul) but it can't be so expensive as to be impossible.

As for the NBS it's a joke and a waste of taxpayers money as far as I can see. Our community is on it's list but nobody is going to take it up if it ever gets here. We have poor mobile phone reception as it is so convincing the public they can get high speed wireless if they are outside with their laptop or hang out the window is just not going to work.

Just my 2 cents but if there's anything I can help with please PM me. (you can have source code etc for our website for free if it's any use to you)

Cheers,
    Fergal

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CelticTigress

Hey Culdaff,

Gleneely here. I just read in the DJ about the exclusion from the NBS for Culdaff & Gleneely so did a bit of searching.

Anything we could do to get our heads together about it? I have been waiting for BB here since 2002. Even my mother has it in Malin.... and she doesn't WANT it!

It doesn't matter if you are excluded from NBS. The only NBS "advantage" is cheap Satellite connection if there is no 3 Ireland Mobile signal.. Otherwise it's just the Mobile Phone network. Not Broadband anyway.

Complain to your TD and write to papers.

I intend to!

Watty, wild guess but is that you from the computer shop? :) If it is I'm using the nice WinXP system you got for me.

Thought I'd have a look at Fergal's williamstownoffline site as well... I used to live down near there and thought they'd never get it in north east Galway, however site appears to be down.

All you need to do is get someone in a green area on this map .....

http://ve.bizmaps.ie/threeireland/Pages/Public/NBSPublicPage.aspx

To order off Three and when they are told it will be satellite then ask them to install on the shed outside or something and come and take it away afterwards :D

Then pay that person for the year up front ( €240 ) and the Install ( €50) and you have the Tooway service at NBS prices and a competent installer should have it up and running on yoru house presently for €150 max including the disinstall..... thereafter it will be €240 a year.

If you get the exact same Tooway sat service anywhere else it will cost €800 install and €100 a month . That is €2000 in year one and €1200 a month thereafter.

A competent local installer will get it working on your house as long as they note carefully

1. How it is alinged to 13e
    2. How it is cabled / earthed.
    3. The GRADE of cable used, none of your cheap sky rg6 muck but something like CT100 .
    4. Is it a 1m dish minimum like it should be in Malin .

They have Eircom broadband lines in Malin, not a dish.

Malin has DSL but is in an NBS area , if the signal from the 3 mast that eventually appears is too weak then a person WITH DSL in Malin may ask for and get a dish installed at those prices , you will pay 4 as times much for the exact same service coz you are not in an NBS area , way it is . Vote Green :)

Get freindly with some who has DSL up there and wait for the map I linked to turn green :)

Watty, wild guess but is that you from the computer shop?
    Don't give up the day job. I don't have a shop. :) See my Web site for what I do.
    Sponge Bob is correct on the current savings. However *IF* Eutelsat's Kasat is successful next year, then Per month Satellite Internet for ANYONE could be under €20. Avanti's Hylass Launch is not so important as it has not got dedicated beams for Ireland and is much lower capacity.

Also as various mainland and UK Broadband Fibre and DSL "reach" rollouts crank up there may be a drop in demand outside Ireland for Satellite Internet, increasing capacity and reducing price. While it's true that Satellite Internet competes with TV for capacity, there is unlikely to be much extra demand for TV services in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

I intend to!
    Thought I'd have a look at Fergal's williamstownoffline site as well... I used to live down near there and thought they'd never get it in north east Galway, however site appears to be down.

The site is down because we have broadband and so didn't bother renewing the domain name. You can see what was on the site by going to:

http://122.201.81.160/~williams

If you want the source code just let me know. We have already given it to another group who are in the process of setting up theirtownoffline.com - we won't charge anything to give you the source code etc - we can help with domain registration and hosting too but I should stress we are not out to make money on doing that kind of thing. We will be charging cost price only.

PM me if you want a copy of the website (written in simple php).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

fergalfrog wrote: »
    T
    If you want the source code just let me know. We have already given it to another group who are in the process of setting up theirtownoffline.com - we won't charge anything to give you the source code etc -

Nice one and well done

fergalfrog wrote: »
    The site is down because we have broadband and so didn't bother renewing the domain name. You can see what was on the site by going to:

http://122.201.81.160/~williams

If you want the source code just let me know. We have already given it to another group who are in the process of setting up theirtownoffline.com - we won't charge anything to give you the source code etc - we can help with domain registration and hosting too but I should stress we are not out to make money on doing that kind of thing. We will be charging cost price only.

PM me if you want a copy of the website (written in simple php).

Many thanks Fergal and good job. I would like to know if "Culdaff" is interested in getting heads together over this to do something for our joint area? I tried sending a private message but apparently, even though I joined boards.ie (and this very site) in 2001, my post count has started again at zero and I haven't enough posts yet to be able to avail of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭markmcg

NWE is not good broadband I had it for a while because I couldn't get line broadband. I just got Eircom broadband in 2 weeks ago and its far faster and cheaper.

I have today received a reply to a query I sent to the "broadbandatoz.ie" website on 26 November, asking when the Gleneely exchange was being upgraded as it is not even mentioned on their site. And only over a month later, this is what I got:

Unfortunately we have no current plans to upgrade the Gleneely exchange,
    as it is uneconomical for eircom or any other operators in the market to
    do so.

The Gleneely exchange may however be covered by the National Broadband
    Scheme, the tender for which has been awarded to 3 Ireland. 3 Ireland or
    the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources will be
    able to advise you further in this regard.

Alternatively, you might consider a satellite broadband service which
    does provide universal coverage but which tends to be more expensive
    than other solutions. eircom is exploring new satellite options that
    may be more cost effective, and we hope to make progression on this
    issue in the coming months. Customers can contact our satellite
    customer team at fwapacketandsatellite@eircom.ie or freephone 1800 503
    303 if they would like to pursue this option.

Firstly, the NBS is not covering Gleneely. I have checked the website. Secondly, how do they know what "any other operator" might find uneconomical? I thought they were monopoly on lines?
    And thirdly, does anyone know anything about these "cost effective" satellite options? (Cost effective for who, I wonder...)

Advertisement