Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper french baguettes

• 04-05-2009 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Anyone know where you can get proper french bread / baguettes in Dublin and not just the crappy cuisine de france stuff they have everywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

hard question.. I know that sheridans sell some baguettes, same for Fallons and Byrne but I'm not sure about the taste, I've tried only the latter and it's not the best 'baguette'.

It's difficult to find good bread here (at affordable prices)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

la maison des gourmets does fab bread could live on that alone

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

Thanks for those suggestions - I'll pop by la maison in the morning - sounds nice!

So I went past Le Maison Des Gourmets last week, about 08.30 in the morning and it was closed, not a sign of life. Says on menupages.ie that it opens at 8am. Also, it's changed its name to Le Maison and looks like it's just a restaurant now, no bakery. Anyone know anything about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Last time I checked (about a year ago), there was a authentic french patisserie at the south end of Camden St opposite the Camden Court Hotel.

• Advertisement

Oh is that La Boulangerie - They've a few branches and the one in Rialto has nothing French about it! lol - but I'll try the one on Camden street. Maybe it's a bit more authentic. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

There's an Italian bakery on Pearse St., Il Valentino; while not French they do make baguettes, although the baguette crumb in that picture seems very tight, and not as open as you'd usually see them.

If you fancy making your own, there's a great instructional video here, and for a popular recipe there's Pain À L'Ancienne, which is very simple and supposed to be great for baguettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

They are currently renovating their store, not sure when they will be open again.

CC

So I went past Le Maison Des Gourmets last week, about 08.30 in the morning and it was closed, not a sign of life. Says on menupages.ie that it opens at 8am. Also, it's changed its name to Le Maison and looks like it's just a restaurant now, no bakery. Anyone know anything about this?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The nearest thing to a french baggette that I've found here are the ones done by Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Beruthiel wrote: »
    The nearest thing to a french baggette that I've found here are the ones done by Superquinn.

Yeah - I'd say so too. You can get the really crusty ones in Fallon & Byrne, but I find them sore to eat!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Orby

Maison de Gourmets is now just a restaurant - the bakery is gone :( I've heard that Bretzel Bakery in Portobello is good from a few people but have not tried myself.

Someone else said Fallon and Byrne have good bread- correct!
    Blazing Salads also have bread...not baguettes but if you are stuck

Advertisement