Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was Leitrim 'defaced' during the celtic tiger years?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

i dont like to sound too big headed here but im a direct decendent of the o rourkes of breffni, meaning that at a time my family owned leitrim, and i can tell you that if my great grand parents ,let alone the decendence from over 1,000 years ago ever came back from the dead , and seen our beutiful county ,and how it has been defaced by corruption, and greed to build crap, they would declare war on the people who created this mess,and eyesore, and hopefully behead them all

:rolleyes:

If you went back 160 years you would see bungalows littered all over the countryside, our population was close to 8 million but yet our urban centres were tiny, where the hell do you think all those people lived?!

There would have been hundreds, if not thousands, of houses dotted on the landscape, completely haphazard with no controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

bigkev49 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

If you went back 160 years you would see bungalows littered all over the countryside, our population was close to 8 million but yet our urban centres were tiny, where the hell do you think all those people lived?!

There would have been hundreds, if not thousands, of houses dotted on the landscape, completely haphazard with no controls.

yip they were called 3 room cottages, and families of up to 20 people lived in one cottage, however these cottages were built by the poor of our soceity at the time, and many of which are still standing, i am renovating 3 of them at the minute on my own family land, this will show you the build quality ,then and now, most of the sh2t that is being constructed today will have defects , ie, cracks, or sinking problems before construction finishes, let alone be still standing in 200 years time,

your missing the point ,totally, i have no objection to a family and its siblings building their own homes on family land, or even buying reasonably priced sites to build a home on it, however i am against these yupee sh2thouses who borrow billions from an already over stretched bank ,to build sh2t in my home county and destroy my heritage, just for the sake of being corrupt, because they most certanily didnt make huge profits in the last 3 years in leitrim, one fine example is kesh, i know of houses build there in a development in 1998 ,and 5 of them still havent been lived in 11 years on, and now there is atleast 70 cardboard boxes constructed in my village , all by blowins to the village, no natives involved , and there all empty and unsold.

so please point out your point to me there, empty houses equals point proven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Kesh is a disgrace. The development there has completely ruined the place. It bears no similarity to the place as it was 10-15 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

JHMEG wrote: »
    It was. A couple of factual inaccuracies in the above post. It's not a hotel, it's a very costly visitor centre owned and run by Roscommon Co Council. What annoys me most is that all the amenities that have been open for years (tunnels, tower, even the car park) all have to be paid for individually. And it's very expensive.

A local told me the hotel that Roscommon Co.Co. had approved and sold a site for was there. Only when it was completed did I realise that it was a visitor center. I think you'll find that is one inaccuracy:p. Alot of the park is poorly maintained even now.
    Making people pay for individual attractions is shameful. Do local government understand the concept of an amenities? What is the point of pouring tax money into something and then discouraged people from using it? I spent many hours in Lough Key over the years and would be very hard pressed to bother paying for carparking or the tunnels. There is so little provided in the North West which is public and accessible, and yet one of the few places there is, is actively preventing the less well off from using it and discouraging casual frequent use by locals? WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

il gatto wrote: »
    Kesh is a disgrace. The development there has completely ruined the place. It bears no similarity to the place as it was 10-15 years ago.

you never know what could happen some dark night when i take notions of knocking the cardboard boxes with one of my trusty excavators,

ha,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ha,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ha,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

and maybe that will teach them, to destroy my village with this inferior crap

Advertisement