Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Talksport?

• 04-05-2009 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I used to listen to the James Whale Show, mainly for Ash he was funny as .....

As for the station as a whole it as become too commercialized, too reactionary, too taboild - too crap basically. The Alan Brazil and Ronnie Irani Breakfast Show is the worst radio programme I have listened to. The fact that Ian Wright and Stan Collymore now have their owns says it all really. Porky Parry is worth listening to, but he is hardly on there days due to health problems.

That said, I have been meaning to check out Russell Brands new show. There is a Talksport thread on digitalspys.co.uk radio forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Was a massive Whale fan back in the day and Ash was a gas man allright, true - it is "The Sun" of radio stations these days.

Anyone hear John Gaunt?? What a prize tool.
    Only heard the first Russel Brand/Noel Gallagher radio show and it was only ok, cant see it lasting any more than a few months tbh, tis no Ricky/Steve/Karl combination I tell ya:cool:

Gaunt was sacked for accusing someone of being a Nazi live on air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Iolar wrote: »
    Anyone listen to this UK radio station?i used to listen to it regularly when James whale had his show there....

He's on LBC as per http://www.lbc.co.uk/james-whale-3702

Why was Whale sacked?

It was something to do with canvassing the London mayor job wasn't it?

Can anyone fill in the details?

Whale and Ash were a good combination

• Advertisement

Twice in the lead up to the London mayoial election he called on his listerners to vote for Boris Johnson. He wasn't a big fan of Red Ken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I presume we are talking about BBC Radio 5 here . . .
    In which case, I listen to all footy commentary + Richard Bacon at night + Victoria Derbyshire, the odd morning when I can.

Great Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

im listening to whale as i write this lbc on sky 0124. great show a little bit more serious than hes night show. he was a loss on talksport i never missed it ash and him were so funny. i barely listen to talksport now. there was a year of different shows on hes old slot but now ian collins has started a new show very serious and for some reason theve gaged ash for what reason i dont know he was so funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

That station died when Mike Dickin died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Does anyone remember the Human Zoo on Sunday nights about 5 years ago? I only used to hear the first 30 minutes of it, but I found it to be fun listening. A refreshing change to the traditional phone-in format - it seemed to bring the best out of Ash. It used to cheer me up before facing the week ahead. If I remember correctly the host was fired after he failed to cut off a caller making derogatory remarks about a member of the royal family. Always found the frequency of ads to be irritating on Talksport, so FiveLive usually got preference. Nowadays I dip in and out of both, but bad reception often drives me back to Newstalk or Radio One.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

I listen to the Alan Brazil & Ronnie Irani sports breakfast every morning...absolute legends the pair of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

used to love it, but with the whale gone, and the fella who used to follow george g at weekend gone its all a bit weak now. Collins cant cut it really constantly going on bout thatcher etc, boring, the fella who now follows george g is some other tory tosser always going on about how much money he earns. Collymore, well, what can i say, hes a clown of the highest order, hes certainly no legend!!!
    My problem is i've listened for years and think of any alternatives on the radio from 10 :(

Why the gag on Ash? Collins afraid of being upstaged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Yeah it used to have a lot of good shows, Charlie Woolf, James Whale etc... Now the only really good one is Gorgeous George. I know he's an arrogant prick most of the time but its great radio! Can't stand Ian Collins, he's a loud mouth twat who thinks he's God's gift to radio, a poor man's Whaley IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Whale, Wolfe, Mendoza, Dickin.

When you have the 4 tops name gone from the station you know its heading to ****.

I miss Dickin and Whale. Can't listen to it anymore unless Brand and Gallagher are on.

yea its hard for me to say but i enjoy gg probaly their best show. mike dicken whale wolf and mendozer where the best and collins was good before this strange ash less format,

vince wrote: »
    yea its hard for me to say but i enjoy gg probaly their best show. mike dicken whale wolf and mendozer where the best and collins was good before this strange ash less format,

mendoza, used to love him, what happened to him?

mendozers contract wasnt renewed. he was on playradiouk.com up until 2 months ago and then vanished i use to get the podcast twice a week. i belive hes running again to become a ukip counciler in hove. another man who called a spade a spade removed from talksport i see a pattern emerging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Mendozoff got lazy towards the end. Loads of pre-recorded stuff and poor filler material. He used to run some battle of the bands lark also which was p1ss poor. He used to be good before all that.

well gg has had his show stopped, even after the election, so thats that for me, i'm off to radio 5 or itunes playlist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

APPALLED at no one mentioning Tommy Boyd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

rovert wrote: »

Long time since I heard Tommy Boyd on TalkSport / TalkRadio but I agree - he was one of my favourite presenters. Way too clever to be on that station now.:(

Unfortunately he has a habit of falling out with station managers and hasn't been heard of on UK radio in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

used to listen to it but not for james whale, always found him a total ass. his opinion seemed to be the only one he was interested in. the only show i tuned in for was adrian durham(and his panel). used to be good debate and funny jibes flying around. used to be on at 7pm but think it got changed to 4pm so cant hear it at work of course. not sure of the schedules now, dont listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

rovert wrote: »
    Loved the Tommy Boyd show, Talkradio UK was the only english speaking station I could pick up while out harvesting tulips in Holland in '97. That show I looked forward to every afternoon. 3-4 pm i think? memories:rolleyes:

James Whale was the ****. I'll never forget the last show he did before he got treatment for his kidney cancer.

Miss his show and the banter he'd have with Ash

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

miketv wrote: »
    Loved the Tommy Boyd show, Talkradio UK was the only english speaking station I could pick up while out harvesting tulips in Holland in '97. That show I looked forward to every afternoon. 3-4 pm i think? memories:rolleyes:

I honestly think he invented trolling.

This site has a lot of his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Camelot wrote: »
    I presume we are talking about BBC Radio 5 here . . .
    In which case, I listen to all footy commentary + Richard Bacon at night + Victoria Derbyshire, the odd morning when I can.

Great Station.

Its a completely different station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

tinner777 wrote: »
    well gg has had his show stopped, even after the election, so thats that for me, i'm off to radio 5 or itunes playlist

When was George Galloway's show stopped. I used to listen to that show quite a bit. The Guy that came on after him also had quite an enjoyable show (Mike Mendoza i think).

I'm very much open to correction here but I think George Galloway is now working for an Iranian Government funded news radio channel.

ash has made a welcom return to the airwaves on the ian collins show. ians show has improved a lot hes dropped a lot of the political stuff its more fun now like the j whale show. he will never be as good as whale though. george galloway works on press tv 2 shows a week iranian news ghannel. i havent heard about him being on an iranian radio station have you any info on this. i dont agree whit him much but he had a great show going.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

I remember Whale used to have that Nick Pope lad from the Ministry of Defence on discussing UFO's & & that Derek Akora medium chap-was a good laugh with Ash & the dominatrix one ( she was some kiwi that answered the phones).
    Tommy Boyd was ok aswell.
    Always got the impression that Whale & Collins hated each other.
    Does Alan Brazil still present the morning show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

So many vile, nasty right-wing pr*cks on that station. I am totally unsurprised to hear Mendoza is a UKIP candidate now. Always had him and Whale down as BNP or UKIP voters.

Remember Nick Abbot when he was on TalkSport? I loved his show. He's on LBC now and he's really lost his magic :-(

how the **** did mike graham get the weekend ten pm show, ffs i know galloway has lost his seat as an mp but to replace him with this twat!!
    I've had it now with them, the only good point is that collins has realized that he's not that important and he's letting ash speak now.
    I'm not a happy boy, :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I can't listen to TalkSport anymore. It used to be so great back when it was "Talk Radio" but now...it's like the aural version of the daily mail.

Radio London, Five Live and LBC are far better for talk radio shows.

eth0_ wrote: »
    I can't listen to TalkSport anymore. It used to be so great back when it was "Talk Radio" but now...it's like the aural version of the daily mail.

Radio London, Five Live and LBC are far better for talk radio shows.

Whats on radio london and lbc?

tinner777 wrote: »
    Whats on radio london and lbc?
    Whale is at LBC

yea tinner its great to have ash back on air i nearly tuned out for good the ash returned thank god. Whale is doing a great show now mon-fri 4pm on lbc great show. a bit more serious though. Whale is a great broadcaster. mendozer and whale hate the bnp. mike mendozer left play uk because there was a bnp show. yes he is in the ukip but theres a big differance between ukip and bnp

• Advertisement

sleepyman wrote: »
    I remember Whale used to have that Nick Pope lad from the Ministry of Defence on discussing UFO's & & that Derek Akora medium chap-was a good laugh with Ash & the dominatrix one ( she was some kiwi that answered the phones).
    Tommy Boyd was ok aswell.
    Always got the impression that Whale & Collins hated each other.
    Does Alan Brazil still present the morning show?

the Dominatrix wow the memories what a laugh. she was an ausie shes moved back there to raise a family when james did a stint at playradiouk he had here on for a chat he said she was the best producer he ever had and asked her to come back and work together again. i use to laugh myself to sleep back then remember the whipping of the prisoners. what a funny show all the good radio is in the past now. ps i wish gg was around i d love to hear hes take on the election results. it wouldnt supprise me if he pops up on lbc

Advertisement