Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SF - Favourite Edition?

• 04-05-2009 9:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

So you've pushed 20p pieces into nackered arcade unit 20 years ago and are still playing streetfighter in one shape or another.
    But which iteration is your favourite?

For me its the following (top to bottom)

1 - SFIV - Am gonna quote Eurogamer as I think it says it all "This is, in almost every way that matters, the perfect Street Fighter."
    2 - SFIII 3rd Strike - Parry, Parry ULTRA!! A complete departue from what came before it. Still play it today on the xbox
    3 - SFII - The Daddy of them all.
    4 - SF Alpha 2 - Hello ultra.

Played all of the above this week so no rose tinted glasses, and SFIV really stands out, and not just as it's fresh, but due to the mechanics and depth as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I haven't had enough time to play SFIV since I don't actually have an xbox or ps3 where I live! Because of that, my fave is definitely Third Strike. Also, enjoyed Alpha/Zero 3 a lot. Then the SFII (turbo version, the original is too slow!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Super Turbo (SFII) of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

SF 2 Turbo Edition on the Snes. Best by a long shot. After that, the original SF 2 the world warrior for the Snes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Hd remix!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Ex plus Alpha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

For me its between SFIV and 3rd strike, IV is deffo the all round better game, but in terms of solid gameplay they are very close imo, right now, I think I'm, probably 51% for IV 49% 3s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Ex plus Alpha.

Mate I took this out the other day for the old trip down memory lane... truly the worst looking SF game of all time:P, but I really like the gameplay of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ex plus Alpha.
    Sagat06 wrote: »
    Mate I took this out the other day for the old trip down memory lane... truly the worst looking SF game of all time:P, but I really like the gameplay of it!

Fantastic game. Pity they ruined the sequels with custom combos.

Really wish Capcom would just buy the characters from Arika so they could use them in future SF games.

Darun needs to be in SFIV.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm going to go against the flow with this one.

The OP asks for favourite and favourite can be different to best.

So I am going to go with SF II Champ edition. I don't think the feeling of being blown away by the changes made there (choosing the same character? No way! Playing as bosses? Awesome!) has been replicated.

Perhaps in second would be Super SF II as it was the first game since world warrior with newly drawn sprite art.

As a game to play I much prefer SF 4, I haven't played third strike much but loved it, and I enjoyed all the Alpha games alot. Super turbo actually put me off slightly as the 1 player relies too much on pattern recognition.

CE is my favourite version of SFII. I really like the speed of it, which a lot of people complain about these days. It also has the most broken playable Bison ever!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

CE is my favourite version of SFII. I really like the speed of it, which a lot of people complain about these days. It also has the most broken playable Bison ever!

I quite like the slower street fighters. Reduces the twitch and increases the tacticalness-itude, for me.

SDooM wrote: »
    I quite like the slower street fighters. Reduces the twitch and increases the tacticalness-itude, for me.

So get on GGPO sometime and play it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Oh, this is HARD!

I'm still stuck trying to decide whether I prefer 3S & SFIV.
    3S can be ridiculously fast at times, but then it also suffers due to having NO long-range game, at all. So close-range pokes/super-cancelable stuff is king (along with okizeme).

Meanwhile, SFIV is still evolving, and is tremendously fun to watch, but the inputs are ruining it for me (links AND cancels, shortcuts overriding failed motions, etc).
    So...

HD Remix :pac:

If Street Fighter IV is really Street fighter IV: The World Warrior or at least Street Fighter IV: New Generation then it could become a great game.

as it stands it's not a patch on 3rd Strike or Ex plus Alpha.

With some intelligent changes it could be vastly improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

CE for me. Ahhhhh so much wasted time on the Mega Drive :)

Although I did like the intro for SSF2

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

HD Remix! It screams made by the community. And it's infuriatingly difficult. Even easy is harder than most games these days. I love that. Old school!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

Super Turbo (SFII) of course.

No question ST is still the fighter platform! I'm hoping that SF4 will be good on the PC but unlikely it'll replace ST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

SF2-hyper fighting
    SF-Alpha
    SF-4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Half the time I try to click this thread it tells me I'm banned, then the other half it works. Any idea what's going on mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES (stoopid Megadrive version, having to press start to alternate between punch and kick).
    I prefered SF before all those hyper combos came in. If you ask me they taint the games' purity and alienate the newbies.
    Plus you could chose to play the original SFII if you saw fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

1. SFIV - although not 100% because I feel that there are a couple flaws in the fighting system (e.g.: Ken's ultra has too much range (goes so far as nearly quarter screen.

2. SFA3 - easily the most exciting and fast paced of the lot.

3. SF3:3S - I just love the flowing gameplay compared to the rigidity of the other games. Also, because of its slower speed, you had to be more tactical in planning your attack because the other guy could see it coming a mile away if he's expecting it.

4. SSFT2 - I'm sorry to put this as my fourth fav SF but I think its because I never really got into SF till A3 but I do play it a lot these days with the new things I learnt from the other games, its a lot more exciting :)

Ken's ultra ****ing sucks man, that's so low on my list of complaints about SF4 that it's almost funny that you mentioned it. :P

The ultra system in general is flawed in my opinion.

You should never be rewarded for losing.

I also have never liked being able to whiff specials to gain meter. Don't get me started on whiffing normals!

Meter should only be gained for attacking. Gain meter for successful hits and gain less meter for blocked hits.

Parrying is a bit of a grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Ken's ultra ****ing sucks man, that's so low on my list of complaints about SF4 that it's almost funny that you mentioned it. :P

eh? :)

it's a really bad ultra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 drim3r

There was an special edition of SFII' where could get powers in the air. And the small fireball run very slow and you can walk over your fireball. Nice hacked version.

drim3r wrote: »
    There was an special edition of SFII' where could get powers in the air. And the small fireball run very slow and you can walk over your fireball. Nice hacked version.

Street Fighter II' Rainbow Edition and all it's other versions.

Used to be one in the arcade part of Leisureplex Tallaght.

Press Start to cycle through characters, almost everyone had a special that shot a fireball. Most fireballs were slow and tracked. Zangief could grab from full screen. Ryu's SRK shot out a wall of fireballs. No charge for any charge moves. Multiple fireballs on screen at once.

Game was absolutely crazy and was all about who could get first hit in.

Seem to remember Vega being the best as he could do the climb the fence move on any stage with no charge needed and could izuna drop while off the top of the screen. Think it was the only move that you couldn't be SPD'd out of.

Fun stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dhBdm9I5SQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Street Fighter II' Rainbow Edition and all it's other versions.

Used to be one in the arcade part of Leisureplex Tallaght.

Press Start to cycle through characters, almost everyone had a special that shot a fireball. Most fireballs were slow and tracked. Zangief could grab from full screen. Ryu's SRK shot out a wall of fireballs. No charge for any charge moves. Multiple fireballs on screen at once.

Game was absolutely crazy and was all about who could get first hit in.

Seem to remember Vega being the best as he could do the climb the fence move on any stage with no charge needed and could izuna drop while off the top of the screen. Think it was the only move that you couldn't be SPD'd out of.

Fun stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dhBdm9I5SQ

I remeber this it was fantastic, the one in Tallaght was more broken than the one in the vid Blanka's electricity could move across the screen so if you hit them once that was it you just button bash and kept them pinned, air Shoryukens and Zangiefs lariat had a yoga flame coming from the bottom of it - Good times :D

Oh yeah, the one in Tallaght was the most broken version I've ever played.

The chances of finding a video of that exact version are slim though as there were dozens of CE hacks.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES (stoopid Megadrive version, having to press start to alternate between punch and kick).
    I prefered SF before all those hyper combos came in. If you ask me they taint the games' purity and alienate the newbies.
    Plus you could chose to play the original SFII if you saw fit.

Mate, you needed the wireless 6 button pads, that and micro machines 96.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

sf 2
    Sf alpha 3

havent payed sf 4 yet

sf the movie, although crap compared to the others is still a funny game.

I also have never liked being able to whiff specials to gain meter. Don't get me started on whiffing normals!

This is one thing that I really hate about 3s. Can't stand the feckin eejits standing in the corner mashing C.mp.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    This is one thing that I really hate about 3s. Can't stand the feckin eejits standing in the corner mashing C.mp.

Chun Vs Chun generally consists of both back dashing and then "Eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh....."

There's a good video where RX, a top Urien player, does it as a joke when playing a Chun.

I've seen one where Kuroda does it as Q as well, gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Chun Vs Chun generally consists of both back dashing and then "Eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh....."

There's a good video where RX, a top Urien player, does it as a joke when playing a Chun.
    Better:
    Jwong vs Kuroda

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Epic taunting!

The taunts give him a lot of extra HP so it's not completely useless. Still hilarious though

Q's taunt is a massive part of his game.

Advertisement