Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors and repeat subscriptions - Giving shorter repeats

Options
  • 04-05-2009 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I just had a post deleted by a mod over on the Medical forum.
    Obviously i hit a nerve.

Basically i was asking why Doctors are using little tricks to get more money out of us now.

The specific one i asked about was the recent practice of only giving a repeat prescription for 2 or 3 months. Then you have to go back and pay for another one. You dont even see the Doctor, you just collect the prescription. There is no reason for this at all apart from money. They could easily write "x6" instead of "x2" on it. Sometimes you even have to tell them it was supposed to be a repeat and come back for it again.

If you have a long term illness such as asthma or arthritis you get the same medicines all the time. You go for a yearly (or whatever) checkup. But you need to get your medicines every month.

And if you went to a doctor with a cold or viral infection or anything and ask them while your there to take 10 seconds and write you a repeat prescription for your other medicines it like you asked them for their first born. You nearly have to force them to write it.

Its not like in this situations they examine you and prescribe something else. These are long term medicines that hardly ever change.

Just another rip-off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dottyduck

Agree fully.I left a practice some years because of this.Don't see a reason for this charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I attend two different GPs with both short term and unfortunatley long term illnesses and don't have that problem. Also worked for one and we'd give out longest prescriptions required to save us work, most people with long term illnesses would be back to us before the end of the prescription anyway.

I'd either ask the practise manager about this practise, or else switch surgeries, find it poor form.

Advertisement